I think when you start to do the research and see the actual numbers of the diseases you will see that they aren't as prevalant as you might fear....
here is my cheat sheet. I normally only post the link, but I can see that there might be some other moms who want to read it too and may feel inclined to skip it if I just post the link
(NOTE TO MODS...Don't worry I'm not going to start eating up the bandwidth ..as usual I'll normally post the link.)
The other vax list:
I decided to put together a list of links and books for those people who periodically ask me for vax information. When I say vax information I mean the “other” vax information.
There is one general vax assumption out there which pulsates like a drum beat….it says, “JUST DO IT.” I don’t need to support that message there are plenty of ways one can get that information. This list I’ve come up with are for those people who are questioning vaxing and the possible long term effects of it….. (we are a growing lot, by the way) anyway, here are the links I learned about from friends or my own researching…then when I got to mother dot com I learned about even more links from likeminded moms.
For me, I think the first place to begin is with hard numbers.
Just how many cases of all these vax-diseases do we get here in the united states? (by the way, if you are out of the us I recommend you search your country’s online stats)
This is one of the hardest to find pages at the cdc… the way that I actually found this page was by accident. I had called the CDC to find out about hib cases and I got a doctor and he sent me to this page…http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/mmwr_wk.html
if you download the current issue it gives you the most uptodate stat that the cdc has on the reportable diseases. I would start there first.
Then these links are valuable for information about vaxes and vax damages and other associations with vaccines.http://www.testfoundation.org/thimerosal.htmwww.mercola.comwww.909shot.comhttp://home.san.rr.com/via/www.vaccinationdebate.comhttp://www.vaccineinfo.net/http://www.vaclib.org./http://www.*********/vaccines/mendelsohn.htmlhttp://www.*********/v/mend.html
Here is Sheri Nakken's site...her site is loaded with info.http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/vaccine.htm
This organization is not necessarily where you go for vax information, but this is an institute that is passionately working on autism and helping parents and released the report last year about the epidemic proportion of autism in California. Caveat: the man who started this organization, his son developed autism after the MMR and he has been very vocal about such.http://mindinstitute.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/
Going back to the topic of “hard numbers” …
one of the smartest things a friend of mine who doesn’t vax said over and over again when I started to question vaxing (before my son was born) “start to figure out what your child is really at risk of getting.” And then weigh the risks of the vax to the real risks of getting the disease.
I live in a county with ten million people. Ten million people, that’s a lot. The last figures available online from the county health department were for 1999. That year there was one (1) case of measles reported. It was in a 44 year old woman.
There were also 250 cases of pertussis, (whooping cough) 250 out of 10 million is not much of a stat and then when I looked closer at the records I saw that of the 250 people, a certain percentage were children and of those children most had been vaxed for the disease. Only two children of the 250 were not vaxed and they were in a poor neighborhood with poor nutrition and possibly weakened immunity…Again in a county of ten million. Also, periodically there are reports that come out stating that a city is experiencing an “epidemic” of pertussis. But what the article doesn’t always say is the number of pertussis cases that make an epidemic and of those cases many are in vaxed or partially vaxed children. There is an assumption made that it is always non vaxed children who get pertussis or are responsible for the rise of the disease. I hate that assumption and I really hate reporters who don’t do their homework.
I actually wonder if my own pediatrician knows those numbers… he probably does not…because that is the kind of research only parents who question have the dedication to find out….
More stats to consider
If you have gotten this far in your research then you probably already know that there are issues around MMR vax, in particular autism, etc… but here are the stats on getting the actual diseases….
roughly the cases per year in the US of the following
rubella 300 of those
moms who caught it and gave CRS to their children is 25
and the united states population is about 250 million people!http://184.108.40.206/discussions/sh...&threadid=68433
5 cases of diptheria per year
and Polio has been eradicated in the western hemispherehttp://mothering.com/discussions/sh...&threadid=42898
And this discussion board:
Anyway, mothers on mdc have many hours of research in each of them… here are some informative links to those discussions..http://220.127.116.11/discussions/sh...&threadid=35574http://mothering.com/discussions/sh...=&threadid=4983http://18.104.22.168/discussions/sh...&threadid=37450http://22.214.171.124/discussions/sh...3105#post383105
and this thread is very important in my opinion…even if you decide to vax…please, please, please..don’t ever do it after antibiotics…delay way, way, way after..http://126.96.36.199/discussions/sh...&threadid=58460
And speaking of Mothering… some back issues of the magazine have been completely dedicated to this issue and I recommend you poke around at this site and see if you might want to pick up some.https://www.mothering.com/books-and-back-issues.html
Get thy butt to Amazon
And finally here are books with the amazon.com links, which are very, very and very important to know about…read, study etc…. I started with Nuestadder’s book but I encourage you to check out the amazon links and see where you want to start.. (note: I provided the links to amazon..but if you want to help mothering.com, please consider purchasing the books via Powell’s books which you will find the link here on mothering.com…a portion of the purchase will come back to mothering)
· The Vaccine Guide: Making an Informed Choice by Randall Neustaedter, Randall the Immunization Decision Neusdaedter (Paperback)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
· How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor by Robert S. Mendelsohn (Paperback)
· Confessions of a Medical Heretic by Robert S. Mendelsohn (Paperback)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=bookshttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
· A Shot in the Dark: Why the P in the Dpt Vaccination May Be Hazardous to Your Child's Health by Harris L. Coulter, Barbara Loe Fisher (Paperback)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
· Vaccines: Are They Really Safe and Effective by Neil Z. ******, et al (Paperback)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
· The Immunization Resource Guide : Where to Find Answers to All Your Questions about Childhood Vaccinations by Diane Rozario (Paperback)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
· What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave, Deborah Mitchell (Contributor) (Paperback)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
· Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child: A Practical A-To-Z Reference to Natural and Conventional Treatments for Infants and Children by Janet Zand, et al (Paperback)
· I should say, this book is pro-vax..which I am not thrilled about…but the other stuff is very, very helpful)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
· Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives by Aviva Jill Romm (Paperback)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
· The Sanctity of Human Blood: Vaccination Is Not Immunization - Sixth Edition - 2003 -- Tim O'Shea; Paperbackhttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846
· Naturally Healthy Babies & Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies by Aviva Jill Romm, William Sears (Paperback)http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=glance&s=books
And finally, this really should be stated over and over again….NO ONE HAS TO FOLLOW ANY DOCTOR’S RULES FOR VAXING. MEANING YOU DON’T HAVE TO FOLLOW THE DOCTOR’S SCHEDULE. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN. IF YOU WANT TO DELAY VAXING UNTIL YOU’VE DONE YOUR RESEARCH AND YOU FEEL CONFIDENT ABOUT THAT DECISION THEN THAT IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO. DELAY UNTIL YOU ARE SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING. AND NOT ONE MINUTE BEFORE. REMEMBER IT IS YOUR CHILD. NOT YOUR DOCTOR’S.
good luck and happy researching!