If I had a penny for every time someone said... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 06-19-2004, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You fill in the blank and tell me why they are soooooooo false.

If I had a penny for every time someone said "vaccinations are a duty to society" I'd have a puking million bucks. If the vaxes work, then your child is safe and my vax status is of no consequence to you. If they do not work, then you could just as easily get ill from a vaxed child who's immunization failed so my vax status is of no consequence to you. If they mostly work, then you are mostly safe and my vax status is of no consequence of you. Please stop trying to guilt me into altering my child's immune system.

next?
#2 of 26 Old 06-20-2004, 03:28 AM

"She'll have to be vaxed to go to school..."
Now I know that I research and over plan everything but come on.......even I don't have school on my mind yet....it's still 4 years away for Pete's sake!!!!
IF (BIG BIG IF) DD actually does get vaxed for school why in the world are people bugging us about it now? I haven't got her a back pack and pencil sharpener either but geez, I think there is still time!
#3 of 26 Old 06-20-2004, 10:58 AM

"You have to have them vaccinated! It's the law!"

"Aren't you afraid they'll get polio and be paralyzed? I knew (insert name of person's brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, next door neighbor, etc) when I was a child and he/she got polio. It was awful."

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#4 of 26 Old 06-20-2004, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_girl
I knew (insert name of person's brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, next door neighbor, etc) when I was a child and he/she got polio. It was awful."
ah yes... the sister's cousin's bestfriend's neighbor's dog's nephew twice removed story - LOVE THOSE!

Ya don't think someone down that long line of word-of-mouth got it a bit wrong or exaggerated do ya? Ever play the game "pass-it-on"?
#5 of 26 Old 06-20-2004, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha_girl
"You have to have them vaccinated! It's the law!"

"Aren't you afraid they'll get polio and be paralyzed? I knew (insert name of person's brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, next door neighbor, etc) when I was a child and he/she got polio. It was awful."
Oh yeah that one It's even worse coming from the ped! 'Well there was this one child way back in my residency that didn't vax because her 3rd cousin had a reaction and this child got hib' notice it's never the kid with pertussis stories or chickenpox, every ped story is either hib or polio.

Or my other fav from the ped: well kids in russia, africa etc still get these diseases um their quality of life wrt clean water, adequate food supply etc greatly impacts their overall health and is a completely different story then my well fed, clean water drinking baby here in the states!
#6 of 26 Old 06-20-2004, 12:49 PM

how bout when they say 'you're unvaxed child is putting my child at risk"...
um, if your child has gotten the vaccination then isn't he/she "safe" even if exposed to the illness? duh. isn't that WHY you gave them the vaccination? if my kid gets the measles why are you afraid your child will get it if he/she has been vaccinated for it?
duh!!!

or.... the opposite.

'the only reason your child is safe from these horrible illnesses is because of reponsible parents who do vaccinate. since we've vaccinated we've wiped out the diseases so your child won't get it. but if everyone quits vaccinating the diseases will come back and it'll be your fault'
#7 of 26 Old 06-20-2004, 01:40 PM

I also hate the huffy "We vaccinate because it's our duty to society" while glaring at you for being such an irresponsible citizen. I HATE that one.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#8 of 26 Old 06-20-2004, 09:09 PM

Our duty to society? I've heard that in magazines, but never from a mother's mouth.

Good, then tell them you are looking forward to them joining the military, donating all their money to good causes, becoming physicians and practicing for free in underserved areas ... and on and on and on. All of which, incidentally, with the exception of the military, do not involve the potential death of the child.

They are really willing to risk their child's LIFE as a duty to society? Good grief, will they also burn them on an altar for a good rain?

Lordy.
#9 of 26 Old 06-20-2004, 09:20 PM

"Didn't you hear, they say that the MMR doesn't cause autism!"

Oh great...well then sign me up for the formaldehyde, monkey viruses, fetal tissue, etc., after all...since I don't have to worry about autism anymore.
#10 of 26 Old 06-20-2004, 09:42 PM

Turguoise, LOVE that response...will have to memorize it!

Smilemomma, regarding your "signature" quote...WHEN will that day finally come??????????? Still waiting....hopefully our children will enjoy that kind of medical aid.

Blessings,
Danielle
#11 of 26 Old 06-20-2004, 09:48 PM

When I read these boards, I really think we're getting there.

Now out in real life ... not so much.

Ah, the future. Has such a nice ring to it.

(and to the boards, Danielle)
#12 of 26 Old 06-21-2004, 10:16 AM

"If he's not vaxed for rubella you are putting pregnant women at risk" PUHLEASE! "You got lucky he didn't get (insert disease of choice considered dangerous pre age 2) since he wasn't vaxed".

DD is vaxed (no more) and she was always ill. Of course I am failry sure SHE had rubella a few months back! but she's vaxed so it was strictly "scarletina type rash with very swollen glands or whatever (brain fart!!)"
#13 of 26 Old 06-21-2004, 11:17 AM

all of the above!
#14 of 26 Old 06-21-2004, 12:13 PM

If I could get a nickel everytime I heard from someone " I want my kids to have a strong immune system and be able to fight off [ fill in the vax disease ]. That's why WE vax" I'd be a rich rich woman. Just yesterday I would've earned another nickel.

Our youth pastor is going to Panama for a missions trip. He gave the sermon yesterday. He mentioned having to get vaxed for yellow fever , hep a & b , tetanus and a couple others. After all he wanted a strong immune system to fight off the dangers over there. Excuse me ? heehee DH knew I was going to make the gagging sign (pretending to shove one finger down my throat) and quickly grapsed both hands and whispered "baby let it go this time". argh. We ARE in the front row and I guess a gagging sign wouldn't have been terribly appropriate. lol I do know that from talking with a few ladies at church they are wary of vaxes. Only a couple other anti vaxers.
#15 of 26 Old 06-21-2004, 01:18 PM

"I, (my brother, father, mother, grandmother) were vaccinated and we're all fine."

Yes, but you didn't get NEAR the number of vaccines and doses as today's child.

You are comparing 1-10 doses with up to 40+.
#16 of 26 Old 06-21-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suschi
"I, (my brother, father, mother, grandmother) were vaccinated and we're all fine."
This is another one of my favorites! Why don't they just say "I poke myself in the eye twice a day, every day, and I'm just fine!"

Just because you got away with it with no known side effects doesn't make it good for you. :LOL
#17 of 26 Old 06-21-2004, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suschi
"I, (my brother, father, mother, grandmother) were vaccinated and we're all fine."Yes, but you didn't get NEAR the number of vaccines and doses as today's child. You are comparing 1-10 doses with up to 40+.
Actually, my Aunt had a vaccine reaction as a young woman in the 1920's - she went into anaphylatic shock right in the doctor's office.

After that incident, my family was very cautious about all vaccinations.

Also, thank you bebesho2 for your post. My youngest DS and oldest niece are not vaccinated and they both have had measles -- however they both had measles before they were even old enough to get the shot; they were both less than a year old when they had measles.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#18 of 26 Old 06-21-2004, 04:00 PM

how irresponsible it is not to vaccinate and that those parents shouldn't have kids or should have them taken away............

said to me by a "friend" when I started questioning why she was going to circ her son.
#19 of 26 Old 06-21-2004, 04:42 PM

"kids taken away"

Yeah I've heard that one too.

Or this one : But you vax your pets ? So you'll protect your pets but not your kids ?

um. pets is by law only and it vaxes don't protect anybody. but they never listen. just roll their eyes. Sometimes I feel as an anti-vax parent that I have to keep it top secret.
#20 of 26 Old 06-21-2004, 05:03 PM

"But what about Tetanus? It's everywhere!"
i get that the most, followed by Polio, Flu and chickenpox.

punk rock mom to Milo, my unschooling anarchist snuggle buddy :
#21 of 26 Old 06-22-2004, 06:39 AM

"I went to (fill in number) years of medical school. I have (fill in number) of degrees on the wall over there. I know more than you."

Riiiiight.

or

"Why would any parent let their child get sick when they can get shots so they won't get sick?"

So chronic coughs, colds, ear infections, hives, allergies, rashes, chills, seizures, swellings, etc are not some form of sickness?
#22 of 26 Old 06-22-2004, 01:34 PM

"Vaccine reactions are so rare, the benefits of vaxing certainly outweigh the risks!"

Right. Out of all the people here who have had a child have a vax reaction, how many have had the doctor actually report the reaction?
That sure helps keep the reaction numbers way down.
#23 of 26 Old 06-23-2004, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful~Mama
'the only reason your child is safe from these horrible illnesses is because of reponsible parents who do vaccinate. since we've vaccinated we've wiped out the diseases so your child won't get it. but if everyone quits vaccinating the diseases will come back and it'll be your fault'
Yep, had this one thrown at me just today. Along with the parents that don't vax are irresponsible. Also a new for me is that all non-vaxers should ask a third world mom if she'd switch places (inregard to our(non 3rd world countries) access to vaccines) and that all non -vaxers should send the money they don't spend on vaxing their kids to 3rd world parents so they can vax theirs. :
So what do you all say when people say these things?

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#24 of 26 Old 06-23-2004, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby
Yep, had this one thrown at me just today. Along with the parents that don't vax are irresponsible. Also a new for me is that all non-vaxers should ask a third world mom if she'd switch places (inregard to our(non 3rd world countries) access to vaccines) and that all non -vaxers should send the money they don't spend on vaxing their kids to 3rd world parents so they can vax theirs. :
So what do you all say when people say these things?
How about instead of handing out vax they do something to really help the community like providing clean water and food? How much Herd immunity can be had with the simple introduction of clean water?
#25 of 26 Old 06-24-2004, 12:40 AM

Yeah, I said that they (3rd world mamas) would probably rather have enough food and clean water than vaccines.
The reply was of course those things are important but vaccines can do so much blah blah blah. :

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#26 of 26 Old 06-24-2004, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise
If the vaxes work, then your child is safe and my vax status is of no consequence to you. If they do not work, then you could just as easily get ill from a vaxed child who's immunization failed so my vax status is of no consequence to you. If they mostly work, then you are mostly safe and my vax status is of no consequence of you.

I literally was LOL at many of these (not what people say but your witty responses) but Turquoise yours is the one that I want to be able to recite!

I really needed this today b/c I sat and listened to a discussion about "why would you want your child to get chicken pox when they could just have the vaccine? I mean you wouldn't want to have to stay home from work for a whole week would you, that'd just be silly". :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page