My Experience with my child's school re: vax - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 204 Old 09-08-2006, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am happy to report nothing was said at all about my dd's exemption. I did print out a letter to send in this year with the date on it stating that they had a exemption on file. I hope things go this smoothly with ds since he is not gonna be vaxed up to when dd was. She actually got all her vax except the boosters before starting school wish I had knew then what I know now *sigh* So when I turned in her physical it had the vax's she has had listed at the top she was only missing the last 3 Ds's will only have opv x 2, DTaP x 2 I think there is one more but i cant remember what is required for school.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#182 of 204 Old 09-08-2006, 03:05 PM

I turned my 2 year old's religious exemption in to the daycare director last Friday. I haven't heard anything back from her about it. Looks like it was accepted without issue.
#183 of 204 Old 11-03-2006, 01:06 AM

#184 of 204 Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
-ity, bump!
#185 of 204 Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 AM

CANADA - Ontario

My DS who is 7 now and going into grade 2 in the fall has never been vaxed. My DD will enter JK in September and has also never been vaxed.

When DS started we downloaded the Exemption Form from the government site, signed it, had it notarized and mailed it to the health unit.

Haven't heard a peep from them since! I know some parents have had some flack though. I am sure ours has gone without any problems as my hubby is a Chiropractor so it is signed with the letters Dr (doctor) by his name.: Like that should make a difference.:

Anyway, that is my experience with vax and school.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
#186 of 204 Old 07-20-2007, 11:24 AM

I have four kids, ages 11, 4.5 and 2.5 year old twins. My 11 yo dd is fully vaxed, and the school system already has all those records. However, I fully expect MO to jump on the gardasil bandwagon. I also can't remember.....are there anymore boosters or shots they give when kids enter high school?? I'm just wondering how the school system in Jefferson City will react to me claiming a religious exemption when she was fully vaxed as a young child.

My 4 yo ds was fully vaxed as an infant, but he will not be receiving the shots to go to kindergarten. My twins received their last shots at 6 months old and will not be getting anymore. So for them, should I just not turn in a vax record at all? My daycare has vax records on file for all three of them, but last year when I decided not to vax anymore, I filled out a religious exemption for each of them to cover our butts. My daycare hasn't given me a problem at all, but I'm just wondering about experiences with the school systems in Missouri.
#187 of 204 Old 07-20-2007, 12:52 PM

You can find religion anytime...The bible belt loves when people find religion.LOL
Good luck
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#188 of 204 Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 PM

No problem whatsoever w/ either of the ISDs (Independent School Districts) my kids have been in.

I mailed off my kids names & b-dates to the health dept. listing a request for 3 exemption forms for each, got them back in approximately a week, filled them out, had them notarized, and that was it.

The nurses at both schools were great about it, didn't argue, nothing. DS's kinder teacher was pregnant at the time, too.

His first grade teacher was also pregnant, and that wasn't an issue, either.

In fact, the response of the nurse at this school was even better than at the other one. She thanked me for being on top of getting the exemptions (it expired 2 days before the last school day) and even indicated that if I didn't get them in right on the expiration day, as long as it was in that month it would be fine. I like that nurse anyway, though. She's very personable.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#189 of 204 Old 07-27-2007, 07:02 AM

Hawaii
In the paperwork for DS's registration it says there is only a religious exemption and a medical exemption.It also says that the school should have the religious one.I have been down there twice and every time they look startled and don't have it.They told me to come when the health clerk was in and maybe she would have it.I hope so, school starts next week.
I finally got the paper and filled it out.Short and simple.It just states that if there is a vax preventable outbreak my child would be asked to stay home.I would keep him home anyway but I have the privilege of being a SAHM so I don't have to worry about work time.
It will stay in his file until he graduates so I won't need to fill one out again.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#190 of 204 Old 08-06-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

california

new school. Philosophical exemption. the end.
easy.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#191 of 204 Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 PM

My naturopath told me to tell them I was Buddist. So that might be an idea for some. I wont say that I'm buddist b/c I'm not but I did find a number of Bible verses to back me up when I go in. I really have no idea what to expect in Hillsborough county FLORIDA but I have got to get my act together and do it this week.
Fingers crossed - cause I'm not real big on confrontation though I will if I need to.
#192 of 204 Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 PM

Oh also, I've never heard of a school allowing dr. visits with out a guardian present. IS this common? My oldest is 4 so I don't have much experience with the school system here.
Anyhow, when I read that post I wanted to scream! That anyone would allow their child in to see a dr. with out them astounds me and scares me for the child. What does a child know when it comes to asking question and being and informed patient?:
#193 of 204 Old 08-08-2007, 03:08 AM

For exemption from HepB Vaccine, Vit-K and Eye Goop, the hospital just wants us to submit a letter stating that all of the above are against our sincerely held religious beliefs.

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

#194 of 204 Old 08-08-2007, 02:28 PM

MARYLAND?

This is a wonderful thread - thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences!

Anyone have experience in Maryland?
#195 of 204 Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
california

new school. Philosophical exemption. the end.
easy.
Yep. We signed the exemptions for the physical exam too, easy!

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#196 of 204 Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 PM

Just adding mine. Today we registered DD for a Public Montessori school. When asked for the immunization card I handed the secretary the blank shot record with the religious exemption signed and she glanced at it and said "great, thanks" not batting an eye or otherwise. She made a copy and sent us on our way.

FWIW - I'm in Colorado and Atheist

eta: oh and she actually was partially vaxed until I knew better but I figured it was none of their business which shots she had received and it was easier to say I was oppossed to ALL -- which I am

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#197 of 204 Old 08-22-2007, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

bump

#198 of 204 Old 08-31-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

bump

#199 of 204 Old 10-21-2007, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

anyone want to share more experiences?

#200 of 204 Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 PM

I will quickly relay my 26 yr old brother's recent experience getting enrolled at Arizona State University.
It took him almost 3 days to finally get a health advisor to accept his waiver. He was shuffled from admissions to the health office and then to the deans office where he had to make an appt. only to be told that the dean could not help him. He was send back to the health dept. and everyone he spoke to said they had never heard of such a waiver and if he wanted to be enrolled and able to choose his classes he would have to receive the vaccinations. On the 3rd day he brought back the exemption formed, notarized this time, and a statement that he would contact a lawyer and address the issue legally if it was not resolved promptly. The health dept. sent him back to admissions and after meeting with an advisor he was admitted into his class (that was already full because of the time he had to wait) and the waiver was accepted, no questions asked.
I can only imagine how many college students are unnecessarily being re-vaccinated because they just don't know they have a choice.

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
#201 of 204 Old 10-22-2007, 05:17 AM

Tracy, thank you so much for starting this thread. DS isnt even 18 months yet, and we won't be moving back to the US for another few months but I've been obsessing about this issue recently!

I'm so grateful to have this forum and the support of all the wise women here.
#202 of 204 Old 10-31-2007, 02:02 PM

Hi Where are you in Mass and who was your pediatrician. I am being threatened to leave if I do not vaccinate, I need to find a better Pediatrician.
#203 of 204 Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bureaumm View Post
Hi Where are you in Mass and who was your pediatrician. I am being threatened to leave if I do not vaccinate, I need to find a better Pediatrician.
I am in MA as well, and our first pediatrician "fired" us for stopping DD1's vaccinations at 12 months. At first, all I wanted to do was delay until I did some more research, but she essentially told me to vax or find another doctor "And no other pedi in this town is ok with not vaxing!"

I ended up switching to a Family Practice physician, and now both DDs and I go to her.

Back to the subject on hand, DD1 started preschool this year, I simply submitted a religious exemption form I downloaded from vaclib.org (with the notarized part omitted), and they have not said anything. It is a preschool at a church, too.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#204 of 204 Old 11-05-2007, 12:01 PM

I was looking for exemption info for NY and came across this older thread. Was wondering if anyone could share the specific language they used for the religious exemption. Trying to help someone out...

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page