delaying explained - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-02-2006, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - I'm new here.
I'm struggling with the vaccination issue right now and was very much hoping to find some help. I'm looking for an explanation of the reasons for delaying. I've done a lot of research and feel confident in the reasons for being very selective, but have not found a timetable for delaying them that makes sense to me (and that I can stand behind when at the doctor!) I have delayed them all until now (my little one is 5 months).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2006, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Well, there's no magic time where any one vaccine suddenly becomes completely safe.
But a lot of people like the age of two because developmental problems usually manifest before that.
Some people pick five because the immune system is mature then.
Some people pick preteen for some diseases because they're going for natural immunity, and the disease becomes more severe after that.

So it depends.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:56 PM

I started out planning to delay and selectively vax. At that point I decided to delay until at least 2. Some reasons:

at 2 the immune system is more developed
at 2 children are more verbal and can tell you if they hurt
at 2 the brain blood barrier is BEGINNING to close
at 2 it's easier to prove damage (a child stops talking or walking for example)

-Angela
Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mostly I'm feeling pressured by our midwife (who is also our dr) and my dh who trusts what she says and I thought that if I had a good argument I could delay longer. Our appointment is Monday so I'm feeling stressed. The dr's answer when I asked if she could explain to me why I should vax was "I would feel worse if my child were hurt because I went against advice than if he were hurt because I followed it". Aarrrgghh.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My reason for delaying was to do more research and wait until I was completely comfortable with the decision. My son is 11 months old, and we have delayed up to this point. I think we will start sparingly vaccinating at the 12 month visit. I think that most of the vaccines can be postponed until school time, if done at all. I just think the more mature the child's system, the better.

We are considering Hib and DTaP for him once he is a year old. The rest he won't get until much later, but Varicella and Hep B and Rubella he will never get. Read Stephanie Cave's book if you haven't already, as it gives a delayed schedule and some good reasons for it.

ETA: I am going to a seminar on vaccines on Monday and might completely change my stance back to no vaccines. Time will tell.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

Old 11-03-2006, 02:03 PM

Personally I would NOT feel worse if my child was hurt because I went against advice in this case.

Also, the diseases that my child actually has a chance of catching (measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, pertussis) are all quite treatable. Whereas the vaccine reactions are NOT.

-Angela
Old 11-03-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Also, the diseases that my child actually has a chance of catching (measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, pertussis) are all quite treatable. Whereas the vaccine reactions are NOT.

And we have this stuff called antibiotics to treat bacterial meningitis and pneumonia.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I look at it twofold:

1) Babies have a lot of growing to do. I don't want vaccines to interfere with that growth. Once the child has matured somewhat, less damage can be done. Of course there are no guarantees, and even adults can be damaged to a point that "un-does" what's already developed, but the longer you wait, there is less chance of something inhibiting development.

2) Size. The same vaccine dose is given to a 9 lb 2mo or a 30 lb preschooler. The bigger the child is, the more the toxins in the vaccine are diluted.

I delayed all vaccines with my children until they were around 2yo. I started my oldest exactly at age 2, and had her fully "caught up" in time to start preschool. My second got started around 18mo because I needed to put her in daycare and I didn't know how to go about getting an exemption at that time. With my 3rd, I delayed until he was nearly 3- he got "caught up" while attending preschool, rather than doing them all before he started.

At this point, I beleive that all 3 children have met the state's "requirements" for vaccines, even though the ped wants to give them more. I'm still undecided about what to do if the state's requirements change.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 11-03-2006, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildize View Post
Mostly I'm feeling pressured by our midwife (who is also our dr) and my dh who trusts what she says and I thought that if I had a good argument I could delay longer. Our appointment is Monday so I'm feeling stressed. The dr's answer when I asked if she could explain to me why I should vax was "I would feel worse if my child were hurt because I went against advice than if he were hurt because I followed it". Aarrrgghh.
I'd personally feel worse if my child was hurt by something I consented to, and allowed my child to get, than if my child was hurt by a G-d given illness.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 11-03-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
What?
So she'd push her kid off a bridge if the CDC said it was the right thing to do?

I'd feel worse if I hurt my kid because I was too lazy to form an opinion about something.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
What?
So she'd push her kid off a bridge if the CDC said it was the right thing to do?

I'd feel worse if I hurt my kid because I was too lazy to form an opinion about something.

Yeah. What your doctor told you was completely ignorant. Apparently, she takes comfort in being a person who is incapable of thinking for herself. Are you sure you want her to be your doctor?
Old 11-04-2006, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I'm looking for an explanation of the reasons for delaying.

I've done a lot of research and feel confident in the reasons for being very selective, but have not found a timetable for delaying them that makes sense to me
Let's say you had a WBV appointment for Monday -- would you feel comfortable vaccinating?
Old 11-04-2006, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

No, I'm not feeling comfortable vaccinating on Monday. I'm feeling like my only argument is my intuition telling me to find out more before going ahead. My dh is very impatient to vax right now being told it will "protect our child from harm". Having worked for years with special needs and autistic children I am HYPER aware of the possible dangers. I just don't want to make a decision based more on fear than on information.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:50 AM

When I was in your shoes, I decided to delay for another 6 month, and take the time to research.
I'm very glad I did.

ETA:
And I'm still a delayed/selective vaxer. Some shots are pretty easy to throw out, like the flushot. Coz it really and truly doesn't work much if at all.

Some diseases, like measles, mumps, rubella and chickenpox are scarier when the child is older, so I'll do a titre check much later and probably vax then if he's not immune. I also "buy" the idea of herd immunity protecting the weak with measles and rubella, so that's part of my thinking with those as well. (although I don't fault people who hold different opinions there).
Hib and s.pneumo..I think vaxing for those is a horrible idea in general...long story.
I'll do tetanus later, too, so I'll have to get the diptheria with it.
The pertussis vax is another one that really doesn't work, so scratch that one.
HepA: mild disease, not worth vaxing for.
HepB: I can delay till he decides for himself there.
IPV: vax doesn't even provide any herd immunity, seems to be eradicated in this part of the world, I'll maybe do it later.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay View Post
I'll do tetanus later, too, so I'll have to get the diptheria with it.
So when dh went to the ER for a broken arm and they gave him T, it had D in it as well? I thought there was a T only, but just not a P only. Shows what I know.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQMama View Post
So when dh went to the ER for a broken arm and they gave him T, it had D in it as well? I thought there was a T only, but just not a P only. Shows what I know.

There is a tetanus vaccine indicated for individuals age 7+ only.

If your DH went in recently, they probably gave him Tdap.

User Tag List