getting vaccines as an adult for nursing school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-18-2006, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not vaccinate my children, and choose not to vaccinate myself.

That said, I am considering applying to nursing school and would "need" to be vaccinated for several things. Hepatitis ( a series of 3 shots then a titer), then titers for the following rubella, mumps, and varicella and shots if unproven immunity, tetnus if it has been 10+ years since your last shot, and finally tuberculosis.

I am terrified by this and am on the edge about nursing in general simply because of these shots. I would definitely need everything but the varicella and the mumps.

Can anyone point me towards information on the best way to "manage" these shots if I do indeed go forward? Detoxing, schedualing...?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-18-2006, 09:03 PM

I'm not familiar with the laws etc, but I think you can still write a letter of religious objection for them.....there are some RN's on here, maybe they can help out. Change your title to include that its a question RE nursing school
#3 of 6 Old 11-18-2006, 09:22 PM

Claim a religious objection. They can not base hiring on religion.

-Angela
#4 of 6 Old 11-18-2006, 10:31 PM

There was a thread about this within the last 2 months, but I can't find it. There is a nursing student on this board, maybe if you change the title she'll read this. I can't remember what she did. Good luck.
#5 of 6 Old 11-18-2006, 10:56 PM

This happened to me recently, I started nursing school in Sept. I had titers checked for MMR, and was NOT immune to measles, and I hadn't (haven't) had the Hep B vax. I was able to sign a waiver on the Hep B vax, which just stated that I was aware of the risk and declined the vaccination. On the measles, I just turned in the paperwork with my titers and didn't say *anything* and I don't think they even noticed!

I'm betting that if there's a form for the hep B then there's probably one for the rest of them as well.

The TB test I'd already had done, as I was working in the hospital and it is required for all employees once per year. The alternative to that was a chest x-ray.

Tetanus I didn't have to have checked (and don't see why it would matter since it's not contagious?).

I also had a general physical form that I had to take to my physician and have her fill out for me, and on there it had a spot for her to mark if you'd had chicken pox, which mine marked for me without question. So no varicella titer either.

HTH
#6 of 6 Old 11-19-2006, 12:12 AM

Get titers for everything possible and refuse the rest. Good place to start because you may be harrassed every year to get the flu shot.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page