New Rotavirus Vaccine on the Schedule - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Handwashing should help a little bit, but it's not going to keep it away forever. The virus is just too contagious.
#32 of 40 Old 08-08-2007, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my ds just had this vaccine today. I thought I was going to be vaxing him for most except the mmr, but I'm realizing how uninformed that is of me...
#33 of 40 Old 08-09-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handsomesons View Post
Didn't I read your story someplace else?? I can't remember where, but I know I read your story before.

hmmm, not sure on that one. I belong to other boards, but most of them are due date boards. kwim? Who knows! lol
#34 of 40 Old 08-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
In a pamphlet that talks about rotavirus (made my the vaccine manufacturers), they say that handwashing will NOT prevent the spread of the virus. It says that with most other viruses and illnesses, handwashing greatly reduces the spread of disease, but with rotavirus, that's not the case.

Has anyone else read this?
The difference with rotavirus is that it can survive for a much longer period of time than many other viruses. Like measles and mumps viruses (for example) are quickly deactivated by light and heat so they don't survive on surfaces very long, but rotavirus can survive for weeks or months on undisinfected surfaces. Good handwashing habits does wonders to prevent the spread of rotavirus, as well as sanitizing shared toys.
#35 of 40 Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 PM

Just thought I would share...Dd was vaxed through 6 months before we stopped, and the ped presented the Rotateq vax as mandatory along with the others. I didn't think anything of it at the time. She actually did get rotavirus from the vax and was sick for a week with lasting digestion problems. B/c of that vax she went through the rotavirus at a very young age when she probably would not have had it naturally until she was much older. She had digestion issues and pain that took several months and lots of probiotics to help. She was miserable after every dose and I would have rather her caught rotavirus on her own. There was no need for her to go through that. Our ped did agree it was from rotateq, but also said it was a normal reaction.
#36 of 40 Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 PM

My DD is 2 months old and at her WBV today, the ped talked me into this one by pointing to my two school age children saying that this baby is vunerable because of siblings bringing the disease home. I hadn't thought about the dehydration issue. She is completely breastfed and of course I now how to watch for dehydration. I was not informed this was a live virus, in fact I thought I had asked?? Now I worry I will actually GIVE this virus to my school age children fro getting the vaccine. I have alot of homework to do regarding vaccination before our next pedi visit!
#37 of 40 Old 08-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamama View Post
I have alot of homework to do regarding vaccination before our next pedi visit!
You can hold off and delay vaccination until you do all the research you need to do to feel comfortable in a decision. It is perfectly okay to stop in the middle and pick up where you left off, if you choose to continue w that vax or vaxing in general. You don't even have to finish a round if you change your mind about a vax.

Parents need to live by the oath "first do no harm" as well as doctors. Doctors seem to fail at this oath all the time and they should know better, since they don't know better, we as parents MUST know more.

Knowledge is empowering. But remember "Absolute Power corrupts absolutely" and once you start looking, you will see Big Pharmaceutical Companies are nearing that "absolute power" position, look at who finances political campaigns, yes it is that important to know who finances those in positions of power over us "the people". Our representatives don't vote for the people, they are voting for their political campaign contributions, as in they feel obligated to vote in a way that benefits those who paid their way into their state or national congressional seat. Also look at lobbiest.

I did not know how far this went until I researched my local state representative when I was working on state midwifery bills. I was appauled. His solution was he was absence from the voting session the day the bill was passed. But he did not help one bit, we thought he was going to vote against it, but I think he realized that would cause an uproar from the women of his district. WE had just recently made headlines and a mockery out of another legislator for his efforts to put a bill into the session that would make pregnant woman who had a miscarriage report it to the police w in so many hours or face criminal charges, I say miscarriage here b/c the law was unspecific on the fetal age the law was to cover. Anyway, the point is, money is the reason vaccines are pushed today, not for the "common safety of others".

Follow the money and really look at the agendas to promote vaxes that have not been proven safe or even effective. The Rotoshield in 98 was pulled, the RotoTech (I think) is causing the same problems the former did. This is not "first do no harm" medicine.
#38 of 40 Old 08-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Thank you electra. I am aware of the big pharmaceuticals practices and I guess that is why I haven't done the research yet. I am absolutely overwhelmed by the task of finding out the truth. I DO believe that there is some benefit to some vaccines. I am saddened that pediatritians are not able to advise on this issue in an unbiased way, that their advice has become suspect. My ped is well known for being okay with not vaxing, his nurse asked me if we would be having shots today, but when he came in the rom, he was all about recommending them ALL, not just assisting in the decision making KWIM? I recently heard his partner is ANTI vax and may make an appt with her. I am at a place where I don't feel right vaxing, but don't feel okay not to either. I want to come from a strong and informed position.

Eek, sorry to hijack, feeling emotional this morning. Held my sweet two month old last night who was sore from shots. I don't think it was anything more than sore injection sites, but it makes me sad. This may have been the first and last in the series for her.
#39 of 40 Old 08-16-2007, 12:02 PM

It is overwhelming. I did not start my decision to selectively vax and then moved to non-vaxing based on politics, the money connection came much later. I only knew that my brain was telling me the schedule for a baby is insane and even myself growing up overseas with things no child should be vax for had less vaxes than what was scheduled for my first. I said no to him being injected with 4 shots at once which was then 6 diseases worth.

I researched the disease, the prevenlance in my area, the chances of my child coming into contact with it, the chances of the disease being serious enough that home care would not be sufficient, rate of actual death in a healthy person and what healthy means for me has changed over time. Then I countered that with what the vax does, how it does it, does it work, what risks are associated w the vax.
And then meshed to 2 together to come up with my decision to not vax at this time.

I slowly learned about what vax terms mean like Recombant - that is altered DNA or RNA, human mix w animal in most cases. Um, not happening while I'm responsible for my children's bodies.

A little bit at a time I researched as time allowed. If I find I'm thinking maybe this or that, I look at the facts again, however many times I need to. If I ever change my mind, I know I can. If my children decide to vax themselves as adults that will be their choice and I hope I can help them make an informed one.
#40 of 40 Old 08-25-2007, 01:33 PM

My doctor not only advises against the rotavirus vaccine (like others mentioned), but he refuses to give them at all! He says that the side effects can be very dangerous and be worse than the virus.

Marissa - Wife to Keith 6/28/03 and Mommy to Sienna 3/17/06 and Carter 5/10/08 born on his due date!
I love being a SAHM!  EPed with dd.  Breastfed for 2 years with ds.   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page