Mothering Forum banner

tripedia v. infanrix DTaP

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  WaturMama 
#1 ·
My son has been vaxed with DTaP 3 times via Pediarix (which also includes Polio and Hep B) according to the standard schedule, at 3, 6, and 12 months. Then I started questioning vaccinations more, have done a ton of research, and we have been selectively vaccinating him since.

We want to give him a 4th DTaP. One of my main concerns about vaccines at this point is the aluminum adjuvants and the real lack of knowledge about where that aluminum goes and how much is safe over the long haul. The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia web site lists the amount of aluminum in each vaccine here (as well as some info about aluminum adjuvants): http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/div...c.jsp?id=75808

Infanrix, which is what our ped's office uses for the 4th vaccine, has 0.625 mg of aluminum. While Tripedia has only 0.17 mg, I'm thinking to seek out an office that has the Tripedia and do that one. Does anyone know if there would be any disadvantages to doing that?

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaturMama View Post
My son has been vaxed with DTaP 3 times via Pediarix (which also includes Polio and Hep B) according to the standard schedule, at 3, 6, and 12 months.
The schedule is 2, 4 and 6 months.

FTR, if you're looking to comply with state immunization requirements for school entry, you can eliminate one dose of DTaP if you give the fourth dose (which would then be the final dose) on/after the 4th birthday. This would satisfy kindergarten requirements.

If you have concerns regarding aluminum, I suggest posting in the main forum.

#4 ·
Thanks, LongIsland. That was a mistake, we did do 2, 4, and 6 months.

My question is about infanrix v. tripedia. My impression is that the main forum is anti-vax, so I'm thinking if I post there I'll get flamed and won't get my question answered. I was thinking this is the place for people who do some vax but also have concerns.

#5 ·
Quote:
My question is about infanrix v. tripedia. My impression is that the main forum is anti-vax, so I'm thinking if I post there I'll get flamed and won't get my question answered. I was thinking this is the place for people who do some vax but also have concerns.
Two of the most frequent posting "anti-vaxers" just answered your question with no flaming. We're not as scary as we're made out to be. This forum is pretty slow/quiet so I third the idea to also take your aluminum questions to the main forum.

Either way, good luck.

#6 ·
You can ask a question about the effects of aluminum in the main forum without getting flamed. In fact we've all been very kind and well-behaved lately (well, mostly).

#10 ·
When Dr. Bob Sears did a talk on vaccines at a conference a few years back, he said that if you are doing the DTaP, to get Infanrix instead of Tripedia. It was so long ago that I can't remember his reasoning, but I think it was because of mercury.

#11 ·
Thanks very much everyone. I never did cross post.

I was interested in Tripedia because it has significantly less aluminum than Infanrix, but I definitely don't want him getting the mercury. Maybe I'll just do the tetanus.
:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.