Cave's delayed vax schedule? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the book "what your doc may nott ell you about ...."
But I do not see a delayed schedule in there. I have not read the entire book. Where can I find this schedule?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 PM

Here it is, I have typed it in a schedule like format. She doesn't really give that. She just gives a few paragraphs (on pages 293-295 ). I made a few changes based on my doctors recommendations and there are more doses of Prevnar now than when the book was written. She says not to give Prevnar until after 2 years of age but my dr told me it wasn't effective past age 2, so I made that change. I am also attaching the info regarding how to get the MMR split up. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Some also argue that they would give Mumps before Measles b/c Measles is more likely to have a reaction. I haven't made it that far (DS is only 8mos) and may consider that change as well.

2mos – Hib
3mos - :Prevnar
4mos - Hib & IPV
5mos - DTaP
6mos – IPV & Prevnar
6mos (2 weeks later) – Hib
7mos - DTaP
8mos – Prevnar
9mos – DTaP
12mos- Prevnar
15mos - Measles
17mos - Hib & IPV
18mos - DTaP
25mos - Hep A
27mos - Rubella
31mos - Hep A
39mos - Mumps
4-5 years - Varivax/DTaP/IPV (not all at the same time)

NO Hep B, Proquad or Comvax

MMR SPLIT INFO:
Dr. Stephanie Cave (Dr. in Baton Rouge, LA - 225-767-7433) is an advocate for children being immunized with three separate doses instead of the MMR combined. Reportedly, she asked for American Medicine (wholesale pharmaceutical company) to carry these immunizations. The owners of American Medicine are Mark and Bridgette Schexnayder who are also pharmacists.

The pharmaceutical company of these three separate immunizations is Merck.

American Medicine will need the following from your doctor:
•Doctor’s prescription with the child’s name
•Copy of Doctor’s license
Have your doctor fax this to 225-924-0249.

You will then pay American Medicine (225-924-0247) and they will overnight the immunizations to your doctor. You will have to pay the overnight shipping fee due to the medicine needing to be refrigerated. Make sure you ask for the expiration dates so that you will know ahead of time and for your records.

September 2007- Cost is appx. $119 (for all 3) plus shipping/handling (+-$20.)
#3 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 PM

I have not read the book, but am wondering what is her reasoning for not doing Hep B, Comvax or ProQuad. Thanks!
#4 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 04:14 PM

She stated Hep B should be given if the mom is Hep B positive, otherwise it isn't necessary. It was basically a public health policy decision b/c adults who were at risk weren't getting vaccinated so birth was the easiest way to target the entire population.
She doesn't mention anything about proquad or comvax. I think those are new since the book was written. Proquad is MMR+Varicella(chicken pox). She suggests in her book that MMR be split into 3 shots. Comvax is Hib and HepB combined.

hth
ashley
#5 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 04:26 PM

Thank you! We are trying to work on our daughter's vax schedule, and she has already received the Comvax twice because that is what our doctor's office offered. We weren't even given the option of separating those two vaccines. We have already planned on delaying the 3rd Hep B (even though I wasn't positive for Hep B, so she didn't need it to begin with! : ) until maybe 2 years of age or so. The shots that my daughter has not received but according to the above schedule should have received by now are the 3rd HIB (our doctor's office only gives 3 doses when the first 2 are done with Comvax, and the 3rd dose is at 15 months) and the 3rd Prevnar. She just had her 9 month visit yesterday and I was hesitant about having her get any shots because of going into the cold and flu season. I didn't want her body trying to "fight off" the vax if she comes in contact with a cold or flu bug. I told the pediatrician that I wanted her immune system as strong as possible going into cold and flu season. He seemed to agree and didn't argue with me, but does this make sense? Doesn't the body have to work harder to fight off a cold if it is already fighting off a vaccine? Or isn't that how it works? (Sorry to kind of get off topic here!)
#6 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 04:33 PM

I find it odd, but apparently the CDC says it is okay to give a child a vaccine that has a fever. From the 3 books I have read so far (Cave's book, Natural Nursery by Louis Pottkotter, and am working on the 3rd by Aviva Jill Romm) they say not to give a child a vaccine if they have been sick within the last week, seem to be getting sick, or have a fever. I am sure there are studies that say it is okay, I would just rather not have my kid get a vaccine when I know he is sick (fever, etc) for fear of compromising their immune system. However, I find it extremely odd that my doctor's office does not take his temperature before giving him a vaccine (they do if I ask - but look at me like I am crazy). I just find that to be such a routine thing. I mean when I go to the doctor (no matter for what reason) they always take my temperature, so why not for babies? I find it odd.
Anyway, I hope that helps. I think every child is different and will respond differently to vaccines. I am sure there are studies that show that it doesn't matter if you split up the shots but if it makes me feel better and there is no harm in it, then I don't see why not. My doctor said he didn't care when he got the shots "as long as he got them". If we decide to non-vax we would have to find a new doctor.

hth
ashley
#7 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 04:45 PM

The book has all the info in the back. I think her schedule starts at 4 or 5 months. I avoided the Prevnar until right before school started, my son is 3. By the time I got it he only needed one dose which made me feel better. I also got the Hep B, but didnt start it until a little before age 3 as in my state its required for school. I did get the MMR together, but waited until right before the start of preschool. It was the last shot he recieved and the one I was most worried about. He was actually the least reactive to that one and most reactive to the chicken pox vaccine. Either way you do it find a schedule you are comfortable with. That book was practically my saving grace for figuring out what to do. It atleast gave me some kind of guideline. good luck.

Kerry, happy wife to hubby Chad, mama to ds 6, Rainbow ds 2, and 4
#8 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arweaver02 View Post
I am sure there are studies that say it is okay, I would just rather not have my kid get a vaccine when I know he is sick (fever, etc) for fear of compromising their immune system. ashley
That's how I feel. And being that cold and flu season is right around the corner and DS has already brought home a cold from pre-k, I don't know if her body is trying to fight a cold right now and she hasn't started showing symptoms yet, KWIM? At least the pediatrician was in agreement with me and didn't try to push anything.

I'm going to buy that book on Amazon today!
#9 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 05:29 PM

she also recommends giving them 2 doses of vitamin c (one in the morning and one at night) the day OF and the day AFTER getting the vaccine, to help give the immune system a boost. I found the liquid vitamin c at whole foods.

hth
ashley
#10 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 PM

I just ordered the book, and I preordered Dr. Robert Sears The Vaccine Book. I'll be interested to see what his recommendations are.
#11 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 06:17 PM

A lot of people have also recommended this book, although I wasn't going to buy it until I finish reading the ones I have I do plan to get it though, I was going to look at Half Price Books first to see if they have it.

http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Healthy-...1442648&sr=8-1
#12 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so so very much!
I also just ordered Sears Vaccine Book. I love Dr. Sears.
My son is just about 5 months old (may 7th 07 was born), so I need a delayed schedule too!
#13 of 23 Old 10-03-2007, 09:51 PM

I'm really excited about the Sears vaccine book too. Dr. William Sears' The Baby Book was my baby bible book after I had my first son. I wish I could take my kids to either him or one of his sons pediatric practices!! We aren't having DD get any more shots until after cold and flu season, and by then I will have both books read and have a good game plan figured out!
#14 of 23 Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arweaver02 View Post
Here it is, I have typed it in a schedule like format. She doesn't really give that. She just gives a few paragraphs (on pages 293-295 ). I made a few changes based on my doctors recommendations and there are more doses of Prevnar now than when the book was written. She says not to give Prevnar until after 2 years of age but my dr told me it wasn't effective past age 2, so I made that change. I am also attaching the info regarding how to get the MMR split up. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Some also argue that they would give Mumps before Measles b/c Measles is more likely to have a reaction. I haven't made it that far (DS is only 8mos) and may consider that change as well.

2mos – Hib
3mos - :Prevnar
4mos - Hib & IPV
5mos - DTaP
6mos – IPV & Prevnar
6mos (2 weeks later) – Hib
7mos - DTaP
8mos – Prevnar
9mos – DTaP
12mos- Prevnar
15mos - Measles
17mos - Hib & IPV
18mos - DTaP
25mos - Hep A
27mos - Rubella
31mos - Hep A
39mos - Mumps
4-5 years - Varivax/DTaP/IPV (not all at the same time)

NO Hep B, Proquad or Comvax

MMR SPLIT INFO:
Dr. Stephanie Cave (Dr. in Baton Rouge, LA - 225-767-7433) is an advocate for children being immunized with three separate doses instead of the MMR combined. Reportedly, she asked for American Medicine (wholesale pharmaceutical company) to carry these immunizations. The owners of American Medicine are Mark and Bridgette Schexnayder who are also pharmacists.

The pharmaceutical company of these three separate immunizations is Merck.

American Medicine will need the following from your doctor:
• Doctor’s prescription with the child’s name
• Copy of Doctor’s license
Have your doctor fax this to 225-924-0249.

You will then pay American Medicine (225-924-0247) and they will overnight the immunizations to your doctor. You will have to pay the overnight shipping fee due to the medicine needing to be refrigerated. Make sure you ask for the expiration dates so that you will know ahead of time and for your records.

September 2007- Cost is appx. $119 (for all 3) plus shipping/handling (+-$20.)

You would buy them separate though correct?? One day order Mumps, a few months later Measels, later... Rubella? Or do you have to pay $119 every time you want one separate?

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#15 of 23 Old 10-09-2007, 03:44 AM

Hepatitis B is a sexually transmitted disease. IMO, there is no reason a baby or child needs this vaccine. The Hep B vax is given to babies, because they are a captive audience. In her book, Cave states the number of Hep B cases in 1996 - 54 cases in children under 1 year. That's .001% of children at that time. In 1996, there were 17,497 - 24,775 reports of adverse reactions to VAERS.
30% of people who get Hep B will never suffer any symptoms.
When I was looking into how long the immunity from this vaccine lasts, I received conflicting reports.
- The vaccine is only 20 years old, so we know that immunity lasts at least that long.
- The vaccine may last for up to 15 years, 5 years longer than previously thought.
- The vaccine lasts 10 years.

Anyway you slice it, the immunity wears off at the time when the prevention is most needed!
But it was this quote that prompted me to write:
"Older individuals, those 20 and older, are the ones protected the longest, while children who are vaccinated between the ages of 6 months and four years are the ones protected for the shortest period."
(This is the article, which is pro-vax: http://cw11.empowereddoctor.com/story_435.html)

~ Robyn

Mom to Jackson, b. January 2006

and Cassandra, b. October 2011

weadopted.gif novaxnocirc.gif

http://chittisterchildren.wordpress.com

#16 of 23 Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the great info.....we are delaying and such this time around bc we know more...

That schedule works great but how would one do it who couldn't go to the doctor every month.....We pay out of pocket right now and that's just too often.....

How would you go about doing it if you could only go every 2 or 3 months....???

Thanks...

We aren't doing Hep....nor the proquad...

sorry, not meaning to hijack
#17 of 23 Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 PM

My doctor doesn't bill me an office visit for just a shot, because the nurse administers it. Maybe you could work out something similar with your doc if he is understanding that he only bill you for the cost of the shot and not the visit since you wouldn't need to see him?

hth
ashley
#18 of 23 Old 10-22-2007, 03:48 PM

Thanks...

I'll ask about that...the 2 peds we see are fantastic....we delayed a few off dd1's but not by much (we had insurance then) and he didn't have a problem....

I actually just found out he's the head of ped's at our children's hospital!

DD has her 2 mo apt first week of November so I will ask then....

Would love to get a copy of sear's book but no extra $$ right now...maybe someone will post his delayed schedule.....

Dr. Bob was just here this past weekend too for a speaking engagement. Of course, I find out about it 2 days later...:
#19 of 23 Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine's mama View Post
Would love to get a copy of sear's book but no extra $$ right now...maybe someone will post his delayed schedule.....
In the same boat...wonder if anyone who purchased Dr. Sear's book last month might post his suggestions...
#20 of 23 Old 11-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Hi Ladies,
Some of you asked for Dr. Sears delayed schedule. Here it is, I still recommend you get the book eventually or get it at the library because it is excellent!
Dr. Bob's Alternative Vaccine Schedule:
2 months - DTaP, Rotavirus
3 months - Pc, HIB
4 months - DTaP, Rotavirus
5 months - Pc, HIB
6 months - DTaP, Rotavirus
7 months - Pc, HIB
9 months - Polio, Flu (Do 2 doses of flu between 6 and 12 months if nearing flu season, then yearly tereafter, up to age 5, as flu season approaches. Try to use only a mercury-free shot. If its not available, don't get it that year, or get the nasal spray)
12 months - Mumps, Polio
15 months - Pc, HIB
18 months - DTaP, Chickenpox
21 months - Flu
2 years - Rubella, Polio
2 1/2 years - Hep B, Hep A
3 years - Hep B, Masles, Flu
3 1/2 years - Hep B, Hep A
4 years - DTaP, Polio, Flu
5 years - MMR (can group together for this booster)
6 years - Chickenpox
12 years - Tdap, HPV
12 years, 2 months - HPV
13 years - HPV, Meningococcal (once the Meningococcal vaccine is approved for age 2, Dr. Bob will move it there and delay hep B by 6 months)
#21 of 23 Old 11-09-2007, 01:39 PM

We won't be getting Rotavirus, Flu, HepB or HPV. That is just me though Glad to see someone has an updated version now of Cave's schedule.

Ashley
#22 of 23 Old 11-16-2007, 01:14 PM

Those delayed schedules from both Cave and the Sears book still seem like a lot of shots close together for me. My son is now 16 months old. he was fully vaccinated until 6 months, so by 6 months he had at least 15 doses of various things.....so I see that the delayed schedule is better, but I still feel like it is too many shots. Now we are thinking about what if any vaccines we want to continue giving him...and does anyone know how his immunity to diseases work if he has the first two in a series and then not the third for another year or two....also I am in due in feb with another baby, and we are unsure which vaccines if any we would like to give to a baby. Many just the pertusis and whats the deal with rotovirus...
Thanks,
Sarah
#23 of 23 Old 11-19-2007, 03:58 PM

The delayed schedule by Dr. Sears posted above includes all vaccines. He also has a selective schedule which is quite different and omits many of the vaccines. I can't post it now but will try to remember to post it later. Or someone else can. I think the selective one is more in-line with Cave's in that it does not include all vaccines.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page