Must get Flu...vax or mist? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Which Flu vax should I get?
FluMist 5 21.74%
Injections 18 78.26%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm military and have no choice but to get one or the other. They will force FluMist unless I have "contraindications" and then they will administer the injection.

I'm breastfeeding an 8-month-old and really don't want either. Mist is live and could make him sick, injection contains toxins that could enter my milk.

Which is the less of two evils?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can you get an exemption while bf'ing?

That is horrid you have no rights about what enters your and your childs body! Hugs mama.

I think FluMist sounds like it would be more spreadable.........

Desiree

#3 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 02:30 PM

Can they seriously force you to get vaccinated? You can't use an exemption?

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#4 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 02:33 PM

No exemptions, Not in the military. I voted for the injection, though it pains me to do so - mercury and all. The flumist is just crappy.

FTR, Don't use breastfeeding as your excuse to avoid Flumist - the CDC says specifically that breastfeeding is not a contraindication for the flumist.
#5 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 02:49 PM

mama ... sorry you have to make this decision

If it were me, I guess I'd avoid FluMist at all costs, and go with the shot. I guess. I might develop a sudden, previously undiagnosed allergy to eggs. Or a sudden history of Guillain-Barre.

From the FM package insert:
"Therefore, as some viruses are excreted in human milk and additionally, because of the possibility of shedding of vaccine virus and the close proximity of a nursing infant and mother, caution should be exercised if FluMist is administered to nursing mothers."

Of course, to most doctors, that means "Oh, it's fine!", but you know. Caution.

With the shot, it's important to know exactly which one you're getting. There are several brand names, and the ingredients may vary slightly. The multi-dose variations can be of the brands Flulaval, Fluvirin, and Fluzone (multi-dose vials usually have to contain preservatives, whereas single-dose vials usually don't). Fluzone (Sanofi Pasteur) and Fluarix (Glaxo) come in single-dose versions, which, if you have to do it, would probably be the way to go.

I guess I would find out which shots they have available, and tell the doc you can only receive Fluzone or Fluarix single-dose, preservative free versions. They should be able to get their hands on one.
#6 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM

im sorry, whats going to happen if you flat out refuse to be injected with toxins? are they going to put you in jail?

DS 5-11-06
#7 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 02:53 PM

If I *had* to chose, I would go with the injection but ask for a thirmosal free b/c of the bfing. But I would really try to find a way out of getting it all together. Like the pp asked, what are they going to do, send you to jail?

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#8 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 03:01 PM

She's military. It's different for them.
#9 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
She's military. It's different for them.
whats different for them?

they have no american rights?

DS 5-11-06
#10 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 03:11 PM

You'd be surprised. I had a friend who was in the military and he was forced into a smallpox vax (he had a bad reaction) and then they tested another vax on him too that he didn't even know about until later.

CNM mama.

#11 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliachick7 View Post
whats different for them?

they have no american rights?
If you're under orders to do something, and you disobey orders, that can be construed as dereliction of duty. You can be court-martialed. You sign away a lot of the civil liberties we civilians take for granted when you contract into service with the military.
#12 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM

nevermind.....

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#13 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
I think I would prefer a dishonorable discharge over getting the flu shot by force for my unborn baby....but I know I'm oversimplifying it It's not like you can just tell them you want to leave because you dont want them to inject you with toxins.....right?
Think about the consequences of that. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but a dishonorable discharge makes it about as easy to get a job as being in jail for 15 years. How will she support her kids if she's dishonorably discharged, has to serve time for dereliction of duty, and can't get a job after getting out of military prison because her record is tarnished with a DD? I mean, that's worst-case scenario, obviously, a little hyperbolic, but I'm sure you understand what I mean. Sometimes we have to make decisions we don't like, for the sake of our livelihood, of the bigger picture.

Nonetheless. This thread wasn't posted, I don't think, so that the OP could get unsolicited advice about why she should disobey orders and refuse the flu shot. She said in her first post that her mind is made up about it. She wants information about whether to choose FluMist or an injection, not off-the-cuff advice about going AWOL to avoid the flu shot. Just IMO.

ETA: We cross-posted, Mykydsmommy. I wasn't taking issue with you directly. I think we should just give the OP what she asked for, instead of telling her to do things she can't do.
#14 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
Think about the consequences of that. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but a dishonorable discharge makes it about as easy to get a job as being in jail for 15 years. How will she support her kids if she's dishonorably discharged, has to serve time for dereliction of duty, and can't get a job after getting out of military prison because her record is tarnished with a DD? I mean, that's worst-case scenario, obviously, a little hyperbolic, but I'm sure you understand what I mean. Sometimes we have to make decisions we don't like, for the sake of our livelihood, of the bigger picture.

Nonetheless. This thread wasn't posted, I don't think, so that the OP could get unsolicited advice about why she should disobey orders and refuse the flu shot. She said in her first post that her mind is made up about it. She wants information about whether to choose FluMist or an injection, not off-the-cuff advice about going AWOL to avoid the flu shot. Just IMO.

ETA: We cross-posted, Mykydsmommy. I wasn't taking issue with you directly. I think we should just give the OP what she asked for, instead of telling her to do things she can't do.
I was trying to figure out how to post that in an empathetic way and it came out all weird and judgemental.....sorry OP i'm editing now....

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#15 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
I voted FluMist. Both awful, but unless you can get a mercury free version of the injection, it is going to be in your milk. You can do extra vitamin C for both of you to boost immune response.

Awful situation!
#16 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 04:31 PM

Medically discharged - ie fail the PT requirements, fail the weight requirements, but that can be a mess too.

I'm sorry mama.

I vote SHOT.
#17 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for voting. I appreciate all the votes for "none of the above, get out of the military", but this isn't a perfect world we are living in.

I figure whatever side effects I get from being vaxed pale in comparison to leaving my children with no income and a mother in jail. Then my son would have to switch to formula and that opens up a whole host of other problems.
#18 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christifav View Post
Thank you for voting. I appreciate all the votes for "none of the above, get out of the military", but this isn't a perfect world we are living in.

I figure whatever side effects I get from being vaxed pale in comparison to leaving my children with no income and a mother in jail. Then my son would have to switch to formula and that opens up a whole host of other problems.
That's what I'm saying. Request a preservative-free single-dose Fluarix or Fluzone shot. If they say they won't get that for you, is there any way you would consider paying out of pocket for it?
#19 of 22 Old 11-16-2007, 11:42 PM

You can't generally "do it yourself" in the military - can't see an alternative dr without permission from your military doctor... I've heard of people getting flu shots at WM or wherever and then having to get them over again during the military rounds. They probably wouldn't let her wait to order the merc. free shots anyway.

My dh has successfully avoided his thus far - despite being to the dr's 3 or even 4 times since the flu shots arrived... He's sick, LOL. But his next appointment will be with a new doctor (thank God, our current dr has ass-like behaviors... refused to prescribe (breastfeeding friendly) meds to me unless I quit breastfeeding my 17 mo old, ugh, and didn't understand why this frustrated me - I quoted the 2 yr WHO thing, and he said... "Doesn't he eat solids?" Not the point!!! I did eventually get the meds, after threatening to order them from Canada...) so who knows what he'll do.

Good luck Mama. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you.
#20 of 22 Old 11-17-2007, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm military too and was faced with the same predicament. Thankfully, this year I get out before I have to get it. I got the shot every year but one. I just kept putting it off and putting it off, until I came up on the "about to be overdue" listing. By that time they were out of the Mist. So I got the shot. I'd pick the shot over the Mist any day, because the Mist is still really new, plus it's a live virus.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#21 of 22 Old 11-17-2007, 12:18 PM

My dh was in the military, I understand.
I'm sure you will be okay. They injected you up plenty at basic in processing.
My dh vowed never to get another vax once he was out -- he got doopped into a Tetanus w P at his physical this summer. : He's okay.
And trust me when I say, getting a civilian job once out of the military, especially if you have any clearances is big money and worth it to stay in for the honorable discharge at the end of your service time.
My dh fields resumes for the contractor he works for particularly from active duty military working on getting out - yes, you can PM me when ever you are at that point.:
#22 of 22 Old 11-17-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, guys. I certainly have been injected p-l-e-n-t-y since I joined. I know there is very little I can do at this point to "save myself", so my primary concern is my children. I'm sure I can convince them to give me the injectable over the mist, but there's not really any way I can avoid both. I may just ask my doc if they would accept proof from me that I got it "on the economy", then I can pay out of pocket for the single-dose version. I'm not sure if I'd get laughed out of the clinic or not, but it can't hurt to ask, huh?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page