Please Help - Military Flumist - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh, in the ARMY, stationed at an AFB, was given a lawful order to get the flu vaccine today. Armed with information on the flumist (what he was told he MUST get) he asked for the shot. He was told in no certain terms, No and if he didn't like it, he wasn't following an order and go find an Army clinic if he wanted the vaccine - we are no where neear an Army Post. He was rude and argumentative with no regard for literature - sound CDC literature. Please tell me there is a recourse.

Thanks - I have a 1 year old, not to mention me, a 14, 13 and 9 year old as well.
#2 of 4 Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Since he is a signed contract with the Army, he is technically the Army property. They can make him get the shot if that is what they think is necessary. But I would only get it if it is coming from his co as a standing order. Good luck.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

#3 of 4 Old 12-06-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I do not care if he gets the shot - it is the flumist they are saying he must get - they are not letting him have the shot.
#4 of 4 Old 12-06-2007, 12:00 PM

He doesn't have any choice. If they told him to get it, he has to get it. A lot of the military is getting the mist now. At some commands, they only let pregnant women get the shot. The mist is a lot better for your husband than the shot they'd give him. The mist might cause a mild case of the flu, but at least it doesn't have any thimerosal in it, which IMO can do a lot more damage than the attenuated flu virus! I wouldn't worry too much about it. We got sick after DH's command got misted last year, but it wasn't bad at all. I don't want us to get sick, but I'd rather risk us getting a very minor illness than my husband getting an extra dose of thimerosal. I'd prefer neither, of course, but if I had to choose, I'd take the risk associated with the live vaccine. Sure thimerosal doesn't present any risk to me and my daughter, but they already get sooo many vaccines with soooo many preservatives and nasties that I don't want my DH getting an additional dose of mercury when he doesn't have to.

I'm assuming you guys are at a small command, so it might be hard to get out of it by making friends with someone. At larger commands, it's sometimes easily avoided just by telling the person administering the shot that you don't want it. They don't personally care and will usually be fine with that. Since that's not an option for you and it sounds like this year they're pissed about him fighting back (never, ever, ever a good idea when it comes to legal, FDA approved, tested vaccines, btw - it just makes them mad and it doesn't help you any) then he'll probably just have to go get the mist this year. Next year, however, he should seek out a civilian doctor who has the thimerosal-free vaccine in stock and pay for it out of pocket as soon as it becomes available. Then when it's time for the flu vaccine at work, he can tell them he already got it and provide his bill and record from the doctor who administered it. It's very, very, very unlikely that they're going to care or make him get another vax (although not impossible, of course). They're just mad this year because he's arguing with them. His CO probably also doesn't get to decide what flu vax he's supposed to get - the military probably told the CO what they're going to pay for and that's that - so demanding that the CO care about the science and get him another vax is probably pointless, since it's probably not up to her/him anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page