what convinced you to do MMR and/or DTaP? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp
Also your quote states that those children WERE NOT appropriately vaccinated. So why would that be an argument *against* the vaccine?
I think she was pretty clear.

Quote:
Of the 10,650 children 3 months to 4 years of age with
reported pertussis during 1990–1996 and known vaccination
status, 54% were not age-appropriately vaccinated with DTaP." So, approx 50% of cases were in children fully vaccinated. With such low efficacy, we decided any benefit of the vaccine was not worth the risk.
How is that confusing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 12-29-2007, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After dealing with many normal childhood illnesses, I decided I did not want to potentially deal with some that could be worse.

We don't have any family history of vaccine reactions.

We delayed the vax and spaced them all further apart, so we felt more comfortable with them overall. I liked the alternative vaccine schedule in Dr. Stephanie Cave's book, though we didn't follow it exactly.

Then my husband had a kidney transplant and went on immune suppressant drugs. Now I feel that it's important to his health that we all stay up to date on vaccinations.
#33 of 36 Old 12-31-2007, 12:26 AM

Thank Mamakay. You made my point exactly.
#34 of 36 Old 12-31-2007, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The biggest thing that convinced me to try MMR and DTaP was a lack of bad reactions to the vaxes in my family. (My dh had a bad reaction to the old DTP, but that was the only known incidence of a bad reaction). When my kids had no reactions to any vaxes, I continued to get them.

Basically, if I see a real benefit to my kids and the population-in-general by giving the vax on the standard schedule, I do it. Thus, my kids didn't get Hep B because they are not at risk for Hep B, and giving the shot now won't help control Hep B. They'll never get the shot for varicella, because varicella is not a dangerous disease to a healthy child and widespread vaxing for varicella doesn't seem to be keeping vulnerable populations from getting exposed to the disease (probably because the vax is plain ineffective, but I digress).

I really strongly believe that our population is better off without measles pandemics, but I also believe that the standard schedule is too much, too soon, and that the failure of public health officials to take into account a history of vax sensitivity in families is insanely dangerous.
#35 of 36 Old 01-07-2008, 12:07 AM

I had a guy I cared for in nursing school who had developmental delays from measles when he was 5. I don't know the details of his illness/treatment, but his family did not have access to healthcare and his development is that of a 5 or 6 year old in a 60 year old man.

I had a labor patient a couple months ago who was deaf from getting mumps when she was 2.

These things don't happen all the time. But you do need to understand that these diseases are not just "nuisances" all the time. They can have serious consequences.

We will do DTaP, but are trying to figure out the timing still...our whole family is around horses where tetanus is endemic in the soil where they live. Pertussis outbreaks have been happening in our area. I'm just not willing to take those chances.
#36 of 36 Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 PM

I just wanted to say that I'm glad there are some people on here who appreciate the importance of vaccines; when I first came to this forum and read all the threads from the anti vaxers I was just so upset and scared of getting my son vaxed. It's been a year and I've been researching like crazy because I want to make the right choice, and like a lot of you, I decided that I really want my son protected from some of the VPDs out there. I think that there are risks not vaccinating, and if you really go back and study American history and the history of vaccines you will see what a lifesaver they have been. The history of vaccines is not without tragedy (Hep B infections from the yellow feaver vaccine, the sordid history of the smallpox vaccine, the dangers of DTP, etc), but I think that if we lived in a country (and it used to happen here) where some of these diseases are epidemics we would appreciate the availability of the vaccines. Sure they're not 100% effective; what drug is? But we're fortunate to have them available. At this point we are going to do DTaP and later on the MMR. If he is not immune to chickenpox he will get that at an older age. It can be very bad in teens and adults who don't have immunity. Thanks to all of you for your input.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page