We are vaxing.How do I boost DS immune system before and after shots?Help me, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-10-2008, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really, really don't want this to get heated because it has already been heated in many houses (my house, my inlaws house, my vacation home- you get my drift). But I need help and I don't know where else to go. I am on the 'team' who learned about the probs with vax late so vaxed on schedule unilt now when we will chage something. We are going to delay chickpox until Jack is at least 5 years old. Fine- maybe you all can handle that . We will be giving him his MMR on Friday- you probably won't be happy with that : Here's what I don't want- parents/people questioning me as to why I vaxed to begin with, why I don't stop now, etc. That coversation was over for me a long time ago from actions on another board and because of the lack of support I got from DH and his family and all of my family who say, "Doctor knows best. DO what he says.: : So I will vax and my heart will break. Let's leave it at that.

My question- what can I to help boost Jack's immune system before and after the MMR on Friday. We BF (sometimes EBF when we're under the weather or being a picky eater), he takes a multi with iron, he takes 2 tsps flaseed oil, and probiotics. I drink Kyani, take prenatals, probiotics, echinecea, and omega 3s. Anything I can add? I imagine there is stuff that I can take that would help Jack's defense against side-effects. Those things going through me first may be safer for Jack. I don't know, but I 'm hoping you do.

TIA
Erin
#2 of 8 Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 AM

There's really not a lot to be done. I would give vitamin C ahead of time and probably CLO.

I'm sorry you feel forced to vaccinate.

-Angela
#3 of 8 Old 01-10-2008, 10:10 AM

I'm sorry you're going through this. Any chance you can just delay the MMR and not tell your extended family? Also, could you try to get the monovalent versions (I don't even know if these are still available...) I completely understand what you are going through-- my in-laws would lose it if they knew I was indefinitely delaying vax . I just don't tell them.

But to your question-- have you read Stephanie Cave's book? she has a whole chapter with an alternative vax schedule and a list of things to do before and after the vax to help the immune system.

Hope that helps!

Bethany

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#4 of 8 Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 AM

Moving this over to S&D...

Also adding this from the archives:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=711575
#5 of 8 Old 01-10-2008, 10:52 AM

You could also consider breaking up the MMR--each shot is offered individually. We don't vax, so I don't know a ton about this, but I'm sure you can do a search for other threads.
#6 of 8 Old 01-10-2008, 03:53 PM

Back to your question; Dr. Sears and Stephanie Cave recommend giving Vit C and Vit A before and after shots. Dr. Sears says to breastfeed, minimize sugar and junk food (pretty obvious), use omega 3 oil supplements, probiotics (which you do), fruits and veggies...he says to give Vit A once a day for 3 days prior to the vaccines and continue each day for 10 days after. Infants get 1500 IUs daily, toddlers and preschoolers get 2500 IUs, older kids 5000 IUs. Vit C you give once a day for 5 days starting on the day of shots. Infants get 150 mg/day, toddlers and preschoolers 250 mg, older kids 500 mg. You can go to www.TheVaccineBook.com for more info. This is what I plan on doing with my son. We've waited a year and are only doing DTaP at this time. We'll do others later. Hope this helps!
#7 of 8 Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 PM

I have removed some posts from this thread which are not consistent with our guidelines & will send PMs at a later time. Please review the S&D subforum guidelines before posting further.
#8 of 8 Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *jacksmama* View Post
I really, really don't want this to get heated because it has already been heated in many houses (my house, my inlaws house, my vacation home- you get my drift). But I need help and I don't know where else to go. I am on the 'team' who learned about the probs with vax late so vaxed on schedule unilt now when we will chage something. We are going to delay chickpox until Jack is at least 5 years old. Fine- maybe you all can handle that . We will be giving him his MMR on Friday- you probably won't be happy with that : Here's what I don't want- parents/people questioning me as to why I vaxed to begin with, why I don't stop now, etc. That coversation was over for me a long time ago from actions on another board and because of the lack of support I got from DH and his family and all of my family who say, "Doctor knows best. DO what he says.: : So I will vax and my heart will break. Let's leave it at that.

These decisions are tough under the best of circumstances. I'm sorry you aren't getting support IRL.

I second (third?) the rec to check out Cave and Sears for their vitamin suggestions.

DS (2) and someone new in March 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page