Name that lie . . . and other scaremongering stories and quotes from your ped - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 666 Old 11-21-2006, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At dd's 6 week appointment, AFTER the Dr agreed to a delayed vac schedule, when dh mentioned we'd be spending a weekend in a cabin upstate with a dozen or so adult friends -
"You'd better come in a few days before you leave and get these 3 shots just in case"

My mother's reaction - "Does the doctor realize that the cabin is in NY and not Columbia or Havanna or some thrid world country? What will happen there that won't happen at home?"

I love my mom, she was AP before they had a name for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#422 of 666 Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM

Today at DS3 yearly checkup ( hes 3) I got in a discussion w/ the ped and told him that we didnt want the flu shot ( gave him my reasons and quoted the BMJ) He was fine with that and even asked me for a copy. Then I said we would not be vaxing in part because of the human fetal tissue in some vax. He told me there wasnt I listed the vax that contained them and he tried to tell me there wasnt any. I asked him to define human diploid cells and if stem cell lines cultured from aborted fetus were or were not INFACT HUMAN TISSUE. He HAD to agree. I had just read up on HEPA incase he offered and quoted which cell line it came from. He tucked his head LOL

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#423 of 666 Old 11-21-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin M View Post
At dd's 6 week appointment, AFTER the Dr agreed to a delayed vac schedule, when dh mentioned we'd be spending a weekend in a cabin upstate with a dozen or so adult friends -
"You'd better come in a few days before you leave and get these 3 shots just in case"
Wow, your Ped doesn't have a very high opinion of your, your DH's or your friends' hygeine, does he?

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#424 of 666 Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM

My SIL was told that if her 2 month old DD didn't have the HIB vaccine and got a fever, they would have to take her directly to the ER to have a spinal tap done because it could be meningitis. :

She let them give her the shot.
#425 of 666 Old 11-21-2006, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerelyGod View Post
My SIL was told that if her 2 month old DD didn't have the HIB vaccine and got a fever, they would have to take her directly to the ER to have a spinal tap done because it could be meningitis. :

She let them give her the shot.

Woah!
#426 of 666 Old 11-29-2006, 04:25 PM

"I have seen and heard more stories of Vaccinations saving babies lives than hurting them"

Yea... probably because only 10% of negative reactions are reported by doctors!
#427 of 666 Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 AM

What an informative thread. Here's my story. Not as profound as some others, but it did lead me here.

At dd's 6 month WBV, our family doc said she would be getting 4 shots (so sorry baby. Mama knows better now.) and offhandedly mentioned that they will be approving even more shots in the near future.

ME: "yes, I've read about the HPV vaccine, and that is one that my daughter will NOT be getting."
DOC: "well, it's going to be in the schedule." as if that settles it. "And anyway, as of now, you won't have to worry about it until she is 11 or 12, but eventually it will be in the infant schedule." Whew, what a relief!

It just got me thinking that there had to be a better way, and if I was so willing to dismiss the new shots, why didn't I question the old ones? That started a cascade that led me here, where I have learned that and so much more.

In the meant time, this doc is also a compulsive retractor, and has retracted ds at EVERY opportunity (so sorry baby. Mama knows better now.) And I've butted heads with him over dd's hip dysplasia. In short, we're looking for a new doc, and have postponed all WBV for both kids indefinitely, maybe forever.
#428 of 666 Old 12-06-2006, 11:27 AM

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#429 of 666 Old 12-06-2006, 05:24 PM

Got another gem from DS's 9 month appt. today. I thought we'd get off since our pedi normally doesn't even do vaxes at the 9 month WBV but no, we got the run around anyway.

Her main point was that if we decide to go on a cruise, we should get DS vaccinated 6 months before because we could pick up something in the Bahamas or csomething. : WTH? Can't she do better than that? A cruise?

Then she said she really hopes that we change our minds, and my husband told her we probably won't. So we had to do the refusal form again and she was going down the vax list to get an idea of what we were going to say no too.

Her: "Hib and Prevnar? I've seen so many meningitis cases. You don't want him to get that."
Me: "No, I don't really want him to get it. But I never had those two, so nope."
Her: "Okay.. How about varicella?"
Me: (laughs) "My entire graduating class had the chicken pox and we all survived. (laughs again) Nope."
Her: "The flut shot?"
Me: (laughs even louder) "Oh dear God, no."

She kinda rolled her eyes to my reponse, but after that she dropped it.
#430 of 666 Old 12-06-2006, 11:52 PM

A cruise?!?!?!!? That is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Never ceases to amaze me the depths Dr.'s go to convince people to vax! :
#431 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 12:07 AM

I've got a good one for you all.

At my 6-day-old son's first visit to the ex-ped, she wanted to give him the Hep B. He was a homebirth and we wanted to get a referral from her to get the metabolic testing done in the hospital - that was ALL we were there for.

I refused it. He's six days old, how is he going to get Hep B? Not like he's a junkie or something!

So she says we have to get it, and I said, "actually, we don't."

We went back and forth for a minute, and she said,
"BUT WHAT ABOUT BIOLOGICAL WARFARE?!?!"

(keep in mind this is shortly after the war started in Iraq, my son's 3 now).

"What are they going to do?" I couldn't resist: "drop infected needles from the sky?"

*sigh*

We never went back. She told us not to come back if we weren't going to vax at the next appointment.
Definitely don't want a ped like that. Either she was trying to scare us and making the assumption that we are so ignorant that we would fall for that, or, she actually thinks it's feasible to spread Hep B as a biological weapon through terrorism.... YIKES.

Not a ped, but my mom keeps bringing up a pertussis "outbreak!!!!!" at a school in another suburb nearby.
I want to say to her, "yeah, and how much you wanna bet 100% of those kids are vaccinated AGAINST pertussis... so why should that make me wanna get that for my son??"

ARGH!!
#432 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 03:23 PM

laughup laughup
#433 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2J View Post

laughup laughup
Someone..a DOCTOR none the less...actually said that? C'mon folks these are suppousedly some of the most highly educated people in the US!! What does that say about our country? :

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#434 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

This thread has turned out better than I expected. Thank you to those who have shared their experiences and to those who have just finished reading the thread - I hope you add to the thread, even if you vaccinate.

Here's a recap of some of the response from pages 1 and 2. I'm also going to do the rest of the pages. It's so much funnier when they're put together

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I was simply told to vax or get out. No discussion what so ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tig99Nroo03 View Post
when i asked one of the peds in the practice about formaldehyde, she said she didnt know there was any in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItTakesTwo View Post
. . . diseases are still out there killing people and the only protection is vaccination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
"I've seen babies LOSE LIMBS because they got chicken pox. Its a very important vaccine to get"
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle View Post
There's no more mercury in vaccines than there is in a can of tuna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi View Post
When I asked our pedi for medical journal articles on the subject: "You wouldn't understand what they're talking about."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade2561 View Post
[url]"People that don't vaccinate can have their children taken away from them..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
"A rash, fever and extreme irritability 10 days after an MMR shot? No, couldn't be related to the vaccine. Must just be a virus."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123 View Post
I just got back from a seminar and they now recommend that kids should be sick when they get their vaccines. It makes their immune system work harder and gives better immunity."

It's better for a child to be on antibiotics when they recieve shots.

Do you want your child to die of the measles ? If not, get this shot.

By not vaccinating you are putting the entire population at risk

Children are like cars. They need regular tune ups and additives to make them run right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemma04 View Post
At the ER after dd's birth it was stressed," You know by declining the hepatitis B vaccine your child could DIE?!?!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
"Your sources aren't reliable" and "There's no risk involved with getting vaccinations".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
It's immoral to not get vaccines and expose your child to dangerous diseases. Said in response to my flat, firm "we are religiously opposed to vaccinations" stance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindfulBirth View Post
"recent studies have shown that a baby can get 10,000 shots in one day and their bodies can handle it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallieb View Post
After expressing my concerns about a family history of seizures following the DTP, my doctor spoke to an infectious disease doctor and asked about the possibility of my son having a seizure following the DTaP...he told her it was a 0% chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfatty View Post
"It's against the law not to vaccinate."

"I'm going to have to talk to the Health Department to see what I need to do in your situation."

"If you won't vaccinate, then you cannot be apart of this practice anymore--it's too much of a risk for our other patients."
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfry View Post
"Don't you trust me?"

"I've been in practice for 25 years and I've never seen a negative vaccine reaction other than a fever"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
"If your child hasn't had whooping cough by the time he/she is five, you have to get the DTP vaccine, because older kids getting wc after they are five is really dangerous. They could die."

"Tetnaus is deadly, if you get it, you're going to die."
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
It's the stupid moms like you who don't vaccinate that are going to get everyone else sick and die. Said by an ex friend when I asked what her problem was with me lately (this was awhile back).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaduct View Post
"you'll have to give your child the meningococcal B vaccine because I've had 6 cases of meningococcal invasive disease just this year alone in my practice."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~ View Post
People who don't vax should have their kids taken away and given to people who actually LOVE them

You know you have to homeschool because by law you have to have vaxes for school
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsingmamato3 View Post
"That doesn't count as a bad reaction to a vaccine"... in response to me refusing further vaccinations for my daughter after she had a fever of 105 and convulsions from the MMR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan View Post
Said to my baby: "You don't want to get meningitis and die, do you? Do you, now? No, that's a good baby. So let's give you a shot so you don't die."
#435 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Recap of pages 3-8:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara View Post
Him. "You are a mere mother, whose never been to med school, not studied epidemiology, or got a degree in statistics, public health or immunology."
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingogirl View Post
From a mother on another board:
"The doctor said "You've just got to understand, by mass vaccinating we are saving so many, but there are going to be LOSSES. Your son is one of them, and you just need to accept it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR;5060111"
Your family history is irrelevant when it come to the decision to immunize."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickarolaberry View Post
"Chicken pox is a very serious disease. If you don't vaccinate her, she could catch it and die."

I said, "I had it, my brother had it, everyone I knew had it...my best friend's mom had a big party so the whole class could catch it. No one died. Everyone got lots of ice cream."

She said, "Well, it's more serious now." :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
Today, I was told my three month old unvaxed baby could die from measels, or die in 24 hours from menigitis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven View Post
Response of clinic nurse when I told her that family doctor had recommended we discontinue DPT with my son who had 104.5 fever and screamed for 24 hours afterward "Oh, that's considered a normal reaction. Only if the fever is over 105 or they scream for 48 hours is it a problem."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Your child will not start to gain weight unless you vaccinate him.

You haven't been reading that Mothering Magazine have you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysMama View Post
"you are putting the immunocompromised at risk with your children not being vax'd"- health department lady when I went to get my religious exemption
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirte View Post
"There is a mumps epidemic in Florida right now!" Said to me earlier this week by the director of the health clinic who was giving me a hard time about obtaining a religious exemption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmarie View Post
"So, you're going to Ohio for Easter in 2 weeks? Well, it's much colder there and there is the definitely possibility ds will get pertussis."

"She must have picked something up at the doctor's office. Ds will not have a reaction to his vaccines. Trust me. I would never do anything to hurt your child."
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsishomemade View Post
I took my middle son to the ER after his first DTaP at two months, running a very high fever and being lethargic. I was breastfeeding him, and the doctors were completely confused as to why he was so sick. I mention he got his shots, and they told me that it was "impossible" that this could be related to his shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky74 View Post
"Well if you knew how vaccines WORKED you would keep her on the recommended schedule."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
"You know they debunked the whole autism thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post
My pedi kept telling me to go the the pertussis.com web site and "then you'll want the vax".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaLucia View Post
So my ped said that we were really lucky to have the Prevnar shot - that they have been giving it to AIDS patients since the 1970s. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine&men View Post
"We wouldn't be here without vaccines"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaS View Post
"You, and parents like you, are going to be responsible for an apocalyptic return of deadly diseases."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
"Chemicals cannot make you sick" and "Chiropractors are quacks".
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneandbaby View Post
"I'm glad not all parents are as careless and irresponsible as you are, and the doctor will need to approve this."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amydoula View Post
Our ped told us the KIND of mercury that they put in vaxes wasn't the harmful form of mercury.
#436 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
Someone..a DOCTOR none the less...actually said that? C'mon folks these are suppousedly some of the most highly educated people in the US!! What does that say about our country? :
Just had to respond to this. There was a letter in today's paper, someone who was irate that his insurance would no longer cover his prescriptions, as stated by someone-or-other, MBA. He said he wanted healthcare in the hands of "qualified medical doctors," and out of the hands of "bloodsucking MBA's." At first I laughed. Then I was angry at how bloody prevalent the idea that doctor-knows-all is. Just because they have that fancy MD after their names does not mean they know what they are talking about. Sorry, not a personal attack on you, just a gripe I have with doctor-worship.
#437 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Recap of pages 9-13:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christifav View Post
My military ped said that "those studies weren't written by MDs" and that the "ingredients aren't harmful anymore". When I asked him if he had read "Evidence of Harm" or "What Your Doctor Won't Tell You" the first thing he asked was if they were written by MDs.
Quote:
But the baby could bite off your nipple while in the throes of pain and you'd bleed to death. Then who would raise your baby ?

That was said to me when I tried to breastfeed while getting dd shots. We ended up not getting any shots that day...and I'm ever so glad for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurlgirl26 View Post
when we informed the nurse at the beginning of the appt. that he wasn't having his shots, she told me, "well we use a vaccine that's a combo of (stuff I can't remember, blah blah) so the baby only gets three shots instead of four. Is that okay?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
hep b used to be a top cause of death in teens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior mama View Post
She told me, in a dramatic hushed voice, That if my dd got leukemia when she was older and then caught CP and hadn't been vaccinated it would kill her!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
"I think that this mumps outbreak in Iowa is really giving "misinformed" parents a big reality check. It makes them realize that these diseases are real, and can be extremely dangerous"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy View Post
You're a nurse. I'll respect your decision, but I just can't figure out why you're doing this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyte View Post
"so, I think I see what your saying. You are refusing vax's. Kids die from Chicken pox, and I suppose you will refuse that as well."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyElephant View Post
I thought DD#1 had mumps three weeks ago. I called the ped. on the phone and *she laughed* and said mumps only happens in "in college kids who didn't get the shots".
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeep View Post
"You declined the Vitamin K shot!?!?!?! Do you know what ot look for??? You have to make sure he's not bleeding anywhere! His nose or his mouth or anywhere! He coudl have internal bleeding! It's very dangerous!"
Quote:
Nurse: Oh. But in the process of putting braces on he could get cut with the metal and then he'd get tetanus.

Me: Are you telling me you don't use sterilized equipment ?

nurse: Of course we do. But i'd be worried about the rest of the family catching it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
Babies have died in my arms of hib (She said this like 5 times)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amey View Post
"these people in Scottsdale think they can leave their kids unvaccinated in their glass houses because THEY aren't around anything, and yet they have these Mexican nannies and housekeepers and everything else coming into their houses...."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
"vaccinations are incredibly safe. There are NO side effects outside of soreness at the injection site."

"Your child will die without vaccinations."

"It is incredibly dangerous for a child to not be vaccinated, not only for you and your child but for society at large."
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
"Well if you aren't vaccinating for the purposes of autism, you should at least consider the Prevnar and Hib. They are not combined shots, so they aren't a problem."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurlgirl26 View Post
"Well, you're time to start vaccinating is running out because I can't have your son endagering my other patients."
Quote:
Originally Posted by EENS View Post
"there is a little boy upstairs dying of pertussis. If your son contracts this disease, there will be nothing we can do about it and he will die."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
"The AMA wouldn't put anything out there that isn't safe, though you will find internet groups that say otherwise."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyLady View Post
"If you lived in Bangladesh you'd follow the vaccine schedule!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyDoulaMama View Post
"So, you're refusing vaxs? Have you been through medical school? What makes you think you are in a position to make a decision about whether they are safe for your child or not?"
#438 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Recap of 10-22:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebebe View Post
So guess what docs first line of response was when I said we didnt want ds to be vaxed?

Showing us a picture of the poor mutilated baby, he said 'You wouldnt want him to end up like this, would you??'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan's Mom View Post
Mine told me that I was the only parent that refused the chicken pox vaccine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
"they don't use mercury in vaxes anymore, that's so outdated"
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
How about dh's sister, a nurse:

"Homebirth is going far enough! You need to vax your baby!" at the dinner table....
Quote:
from a nurse here in Israel:
Breastmilk becomes water after 6 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennkraig View Post
"What medical school did you go to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by foenyx View Post
You owe it to the general population to eradicate Hep B through your newborn getting vax'd

Whooping cough is going around. She'll probably get it, and if she does get it, she WILL die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
she told me she had a patient in the hospital that was dying of pertussis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brief View Post
he said that it was "medically impossible" for another baby to catch cp from her when she gets the vax!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinzluvsGJ View Post
1) The MMR is not available in individual shots.
(upon which she asked about skipping it)
2) It's against the law to not have your child vaxed for it.
3) Girls do not get autism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy View Post
Formalin is a vitamin that is added to vaccines for better immunity and to prevent vitamin deficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mom View Post
"You do know that the flu is one of the leading causes of hospitalization for the elderly and very young children. You wouldn't want your baby to end up in the hospital, would you? Woudln't you feel terrible if that happened?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJsmomma View Post
Our friend was told her daughter will get hep B from the drinking fountain at school so the newborn must get it.

My son at 6 mo had pneumonia (I actually doubt that he truly did now!) but she got down on her knees and looked me in the eye and said "this is YOUR fault"

I said "Do you mean to tell me if he were vaxxed he wouldn't have this? She said "well no but it might have been a lighter case"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy To Baby Roni View Post
"If you don't give your child these antibiotics, she could very well end up deaf or brain damaged."
[QUOTE=Spy;6045223(Mother) - Why does my newborn need a HepB vaccine - where is she going to get the disease?
(Doctor) - Well, sooner or later you will come to us for a blood test or dental treatment, then we are going to infect her.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
Would you like to hear what is on her file?

no vaccines per parents paranoia
weird test for heavy metals
odd diet also no gluten, dairy, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane-t-mommy View Post
she told me that I could get tetnus from a scratch and wouldn't it be a shame if I were to die and leave 2 little kids in this day and age
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
I was ever in a car accident and someone bled on me, I would be at a huge risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somanythings View Post
I was told (as a single teen mother on medecaid) that if I did not vaccinate my name would go on the list of "bad mothers" that CPS has on file, and if anything else ever happened with dd (ER visit, etc.) it would show up and they would take her away from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiekat View Post
talking to a friends wife who's a resident:
"well, they took thimerosal out of all vaxes except MMR and chicken pox"
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybuzz492 View Post
"drug companies would never manufacture a vaccine for children that wasn't safe..."

"if vaccines weren't safe, then there would be a lot out there saying as such...like on the news and in the papers..."

"...but the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends it - so you should do it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaya View Post
The other night a nurse at the hospital told me that I should vax my daughter because she vaxed hers. She's a nurse and she told me that I should trust her education and experience instead of just trusting what I read online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starhalo View Post
"If your baby gets sick, I'll have to treat her differently than a baby that has been vaccinated" - I asked why when she mentioned this and she replied.

"Well, I would have to run blood-work, do a SPINAL TAP, a lot of intensive work because I wouldn't know what to look for because she is not vaccinated"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiekat View Post
i have another one, courtesy of a resident currently rotating through my dh's ER -- halloween night drunk guy crashes his motorcycle and ends up amputating a leg. as dh & co. are working on him and running him to the OR trying to stop the bleeding, the resident runs after them, calling dh's name. dh turns and asks what the : is so important at the moment. resident: "shouldn't we give him a tetanus shot before we operate?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
When I told my son's ped that we would be selectively/delayed vaxing he left the room and said he'd be right back.

He came back in with some sort of thick textbook and showed me an old black and white photo of polio patients laying in a huge hospital room hooked up to iron lungs. He then lectured me about the importance of vaxes blah blah blah.

When he busted out with the iron lung photo I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerelyGod View Post
My SIL was told that if her 2 month old DD didn't have the HIB vaccine and got a fever, they would have to take her directly to the ER to have a spinal tap done because it could be meningitis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarteralien View Post
ME: "yes, I've read about the HPV vaccine, and that is one that my daughter will NOT be getting."

DOC: "well, it's going to be in the schedule." as if that settles it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningwithlola View Post
So she says we have to get it, and I said, "actually, we don't."

We went back and forth for a minute, and she said,
#439 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 06:18 PM

DH just said he heard one the radio about a study showing that approximately 70% of the 2005 medical school graduates cheated through medical school.

(sigh)

He's going to try and find a reference.
#440 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 07:17 PM

Loving this thread! Just wanted to add one huge lie:

DD got her Hep B vaccine at her 9 month well baby check up within 24 hours she had a horrible rash and a high fever and an ear infection. We took her back in and the doctor said and I quote,

" It must be a sympathetic reaction to a spider bite, Hep B is the tamest vaccine out there and has NO recorded reactions with this rash and ear infections."

I went and searched VEARS, there were 93 OTHER reported cases that same month (and even more the previous years) of the EXACT same reaction. Needless to say i've never let another one in her body and dd#2 is Vaccine free!

Loving mom to 2energy.gif ,1jammin.gif , & 1dog2.gif . Surrodaughter 4/09
#441 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 07:47 PM

I don't have a ped, because here you can get free health check ups with nurses at community health clinics. At my LAST EVER visit, I got talked into giving DD the Hep B vax with the following:

FEAR MONGERING NURSE: If you don't give her the Hep B vax, what happens if she gets into a car accident and gets given Hep B infected blood? It happens you know. *Stares me down*

ME (whimpering from sleep deprivation): Okay.

I was an easy mark. Still, on the positive side, that was the vax that lead to the funny pee that lead to me not vaccinating.
#442 of 666 Old 12-08-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbaby View Post
hehehehe... when the hospital was pushing hep b on us after m's birth, my husband (who kept unnerving the staff because he knows so much about anatomy and medical procedures-- he works in a hospital, is studying to be a p.a. and hates most western medicine ) said, "i'll tell you what. i'll keep him from picking up any hookers or heroin on colfax [local "unseemly" street]. he'll be fine then."
hahahahaha!
OMG, I had to do a double take when I read your post. I used to live in Denver. I was all, "Colfax!'', lol.

I tried to use the same logic on my kids' peds here and they just didn't seem to get it. One even said that kids are more at risk these days because of all of the 'mixed marriages'. It ticks me off to think of it. Was she assuming that I must be 'dirty' because I'm American? : I was a virgin when I married and have never strayed. And as far as I know, simply sleeping with someone of another race (with no 'other' risk factors) doesn't increase the likelihood of getting an STD. :
#443 of 666 Old 12-09-2006, 01:31 PM

yep...its cause you are a dirty, easy American.

I'm also in the Middle East. And, um, yeah...I get that too. Charming, isn't it?:

#444 of 666 Old 12-09-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr160 View Post
OMG, I had to do a double take when I read your post. I used to live in Denver. I was all, "Colfax!'', lol.

I tried to use the same logic on my kids' peds here and they just didn't seem to get it. One even said that kids are more at risk these days because of all of the 'mixed marriages'. It ticks me off to think of it. Was she assuming that I must be 'dirty' because I'm American? : I was a virgin when I married and have never strayed. And as far as I know, simply sleeping with someone of another race (with no 'other' risk factors) doesn't increase the likelihood of getting an STD. :
then you know our lovely colfax. yuppies are taking it over, it's not nearly as entertaining as it used to be.
#445 of 666 Old 12-09-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
yep...its cause you are a dirty, easy American.

I'm also in the Middle East. And, um, yeah...I get that too. Charming, isn't it?:
Are you American as well? Is your dh? I found that most ppl assumed I was a party animal in my youth. Then they got to know me, lol. Not exactly party animal material...:

I thought it was funny that she tried to use a mixed marriage as a reason to scare me into vaxes. The Saudi government makes prospective immigrants jump through hoops to get a visa. They test for HIV, diabetes (!), tb, can't remember what else (it's been over 5 yrs, lol). If I had anything they wouldn't have let me come.

And I also had to get a typhoid vax to come. I'm pretty sure that one is required for all visitors, but not sure... I didn't start reading up on vaxes until DD1 came along.
#446 of 666 Old 12-09-2006, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbaby View Post
then you know our lovely colfax. yuppies are taking it over, it's not nearly as entertaining as it used to be.
So the pawn shops and tattoo parlors are being replaced with Pottery Barns?
#447 of 666 Old 12-09-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
And I also had to get a typhoid vax to come. I'm pretty sure that one is required for all visitors, but not sure... I didn't start reading up on vaxes until DD1 came along.
I dont think so.....my dads in the army, and hes been through saudi before, and he never got the typhoid vax..I think thats the one vax he HASNT had.
#448 of 666 Old 12-09-2006, 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=gr160;6723293]Are you American as well? Is your dh? I found that most ppl assumed I was a party animal in my youth. Then they got to know me, lol. Not exactly party animal material...:

QUOTE]

nope, Israeli dh. Im American...yep same assumption...and same deal. I'm NOT the partying type. I'm sorry you are going through that discrimination. It's sad to think that this is the steriotype in the ME for Americans...that we are carriers of STD's and are dirty and easy and fat...

Okay, no more hijacking the thread!

#449 of 666 Old 12-09-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
So the pawn shops and tattoo parlors are being replaced with Pottery Barns?
it's not *that* bad yet -- but tattered cover did move from cherry creek to colfax so i'm sure pottery barn isn't far behind!

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#450 of 666 Old 12-09-2006, 05:45 PM

watch out......soon it will be littered with coffee shops and night clubs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page