Name that lie . . . and other scaremongering stories and quotes from your ped - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 666 Old 01-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just read the recaps (Thanks sooo much LI!!!)

Holy cow.

Here's my contribution. Nurse practitioner at my ped's office when I asked her at 4 months what vax's they recommend and in order of preference so I could look into them. "Hep B can live in blood on a counter or other hard surface so I suggest that you get that one." Uh huh. No thanks. She didn't blink an eye when I said we'd only be getting the DTaP when we went back for our 6 mo WBV (still regretting that one). Fortunately my ped just nodded and noted it in our chart when I said we'd be delaying. I haven't told him we aren't getting any yet but I don't foresee too many problems. I know others who go to him and don't vax (my chiro for one) and they haven't had any problems. We shall see.
#482 of 666 Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 AM

Wow, wow, wow!!

I tell ya, this thread makes me want to fight! LOL. The doc I saw at the last visit tried the usual pressure but was pretty good about backing off. But she did say that '(the main doc/ our usual) wouldn't be happy about it". I don't really want to skip the 6 month WBV because I am sooo paranoid about DD's weight gain (she gained poorly in her first month and even though she's been fine since, I worry)... I just can't wait for the doc to come at me with some bs. He's a nice guy and all, but it's been 25 years since he went to med school. Unless he's been doing some recent research, I trust what I know more than what he does on this issue.

--"Mama Bear" : to DD 8/06
Tree-hugging :, queer-loving , liberal, feminist hippie mom! :
#483 of 666 Old 01-09-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluebird View Post
I don't really want to skip the 6 month WBV because I am sooo paranoid about DD's weight gain (she gained poorly in her first month and even though she's been fine since, I worry)...
if you feel nonconfrontational (for myself i refer to it as "slithering" past obstacles), you might try calling up and saying to the receptionist that you just want to "pop in" for a weight check, but that you'll do the WBV later, maybe throw something in about "dh isn't available right now" and wants to be there for the WBV, but you want to keep up with the weight check...

my signature is usually illegible
#484 of 666 Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 AM

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#485 of 666 Old 01-10-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluebird View Post
Wow, wow, wow!!

I don't really want to skip the 6 month WBV because I am sooo paranoid about DD's weight gain (she gained poorly in her first month and even though she's been fine since, I worry)... I just can't wait for the doc to come at me with some bs.
Is there a hospital nearby with a nursing support group? Our hosp birth center has a drop in group every week where we can weigh our babies and ask the lc any questions. It has been a real help to me & ds. He was a very slow gainer also and I liked being able to go into the ped wt check appts already knowing how much he gained.
#486 of 666 Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 AM

Oh here's one my friend said to me the other day (the one who thinks that vaxes are the best things ever)...
...Her "I don't know, we were all a bit under the weather, but not really enough to say we were actually sick. Dh had it too, but he didn't get the flu shot, but me and the kids did so I'm not sure why we got it too..."

I was just shaking my head, the symptoms weren't even flu-like, yet she's wondering why they got sick, like the flu vax was going to protect them from every little sniffle that comes along this winter. I still haven't told her we aren't vaxing ds. I really wonder/dread what will happen when I do.
#487 of 666 Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 PM

Is there a way we keep these super-important threads "permanent" and up at the top so that people new to this thread can see them first?

After this past week getting kicked out of our ped practice followed by the stay in the hosp. with DD, I am so fueled....
#488 of 666 Old 01-11-2007, 10:51 PM

Prevnar was a new vax when my son was little. I decided against it, though I was giving all other vaxes. When I told the pediatricion, she sat me down and said we needed to have a talk. Unfortunately, I was living on zero sleep and very vulnerable.

Ped: This vaccine is for strains that are antibiotic resistant. If your son catches this, we will hand him over to you to take him home to die. There will be nothing we can do for him. He will die.
Me: How many cases have there been in our area?
Ped: None. But it only takes one. Do you want your son to be the one?

He had a reaction to his second dose of it.

I am doing this now but I fell for it. I was stupid, vulnerable and trusting. Now I'm pissed off and consider us lucky. I have all the info for VAERS and have always planned to report it. Will do it asap.
#489 of 666 Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
Ped: This vaccine is for strains that are antibiotic resistant. If your son catches this, we will hand him over to you to take him home to die. There will be nothing we can do for him. He will die.
Wow, I don't even know what to say except wow.

That's the most disgusting thing I ever heard.
#490 of 666 Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeysmom830 View Post
Wow, I don't even know what to say except wow.

That's the most disgusting thing I ever heard.
And a complete and total lie to boot.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#491 of 666 Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Especially considering the doctor said this when prevnar first came out. If it was a year earlier would the doctor have "handed" over a baby to go "home to die" from the infection?
#492 of 666 Old 01-11-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Yes I know that *now*.
#493 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 02:04 AM

I have to say I'm SHOCKED at all the people who've had bad reactions and encounters at the ER. Raeden was at our ER for the GAZILLIONTH time 2 Fridays ago and nothing at all was said about Vaccinations. They asked if she had them, dh said no. And they treated her. She had 104 degree temp and the only out of ordinary thing they tested her for was RSV (you know besides the ears and all that) because it's in season. *HUGS* for everyone!
#494 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdiva View Post
Me: How many cases have there been in our area?
Ped: None. But it only takes one. Do you want your son to be the one?
OMG. That is so cruel and so...infuriating and awful. What a horrible ped!!!!! That is one of the cruelest things I've ever heard.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#495 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 03:13 AM

When I started to really question my doctor about vaccines and told him I didn't want my dd to have them until I researched it further. He said, "Vaccines are safe I have never had a child in my practice with a serious reaction. Here is my home phone number if anything happens. You can call me day or night." I stupidly allowed him to vaccinate my baby.
On another well baby visits he said,"When I go to conferences I get such a hard time,'Oh you are from UT! You hillbillies don't believe in vacinating out there.' I get so embarrassed, because our vaccination compliance rate is so low compared to other states."
The next baby got her first set of vaccines and with 24 hours she was covered in blisters on every cm of her body. Her skin was peeling off. I took her back into the ped. and when I told him I thought it was a vaccine reaction he said,"Oh no! It's just coincidence that she got really bad eczema right after the shots. Here is some meds to get rid of the eczema." When after 5 weeks the blisters and peeling skin was still there he said,"This is the eczema from Hell! You dd may never be able to take a water bath again. Some kids with severe eczema are not able to even take baths. I am going to send you to a skin doctor." When we got there they said,"This is the most unusual eczema we have seen. It is so persistant. I think what we should do is shut down her immune system with steriods to give her body a chance to heal."That is when I finally got some sense and took her to a homeopath he tested her and give her some detoxing remedies and she cleared up completely in 24 hours. Then I did the most stupid of all stupid things I took dd back in for her 4 month WBV and told the ped how the homeopath how he got her skin cleared back up in 24 hours with detoxing remedies. The ped looked at me like I was a wayward child and said,"That is coincidence. Have there been any double blind studies on these 'remedies'? That bout of eczema had finally run it's course." Then I made a huge mistake and allowed him to give her the 4 month shots. My dd broke out in huge blisters all over her body before we even left his office. The doctor finally took notice and we found out she was having a reaction called Steven Johnson's Syndrome and what was going on with skin was also going on inside her body! Now that ped says,"We won't ever vaccinate her again! We will protect her with herd immunity and make sure everyone else in the family is vaccinated!": : I don't think so! He also said when I brought in a picture of her all convered in blisters,"Please keep that photo and show it too me every so often so I will remember about her reaction." How can you forget?
#496 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama8 View Post
When I started to really question my doctor about vaccines and told him I didn't want my dd to have them until I researched it further. He said, "Vaccines are safe I have never had a child in my practice with a serious reaction. Here is my home phone number if anything happens. You can call me day or night." I stupidly allowed him to vaccinate my baby.
On another well baby visits he said,"When I go to conferences I get such a hard time,'Oh you are from UT! You hillbillies don't believe in vacinating out there.' I get so embarrassed, because our vaccination compliance rate is so low compared to other states."
The next baby got her first set of vaccines and with 24 hours she was covered in blisters on every cm of her body. Her skin was peeling off. I took her back into the ped. and when I told him I thought it was a vaccine reaction he said,"Oh no! It's just coincidence that she got really bad eczema right after the shots. Here is some meds to get rid of the eczema." When after 5 weeks the blisters and peeling skin was still there he said,"This is the eczema from Hell! You dd may never be able to take a water bath again. Some kids with severe eczema are not able to even take baths. I am going to send you to a skin doctor." When we got there they said,"This is the most unusual eczema we have seen. It is so persistant. I think what we should do is shut down her immune system with steriods to give her body a chance to heal."That is when I finally got some sense and took her to a homeopath he tested her and give her some detoxing remedies and she cleared up completely in 24 hours. Then I did the most stupid of all stupid things I took dd back in for her 4 month WBV and told the ped how the homeopath how he got her skin cleared back up in 24 hours with detoxing remedies. The ped looked at me like I was a wayward child and said,"That is coincidence. Have there been any double blind studies on these 'remedies'? That bout of eczema had finally run it's course." Then I made a huge mistake and allowed him to give her the 4 month shots. My dd broke out in huge blisters all over her body before we even left his office. The doctor finally took notice and we found out she was having a reaction called Steven Johnson's Syndrome and what was going on with skin was also going on inside her body! Now that ped says,"We won't ever vaccinate her again! We will protect her with herd immunity and make sure everyone else in the family is vaccinated!": : I don't think so! He also said when I brought in a picture of her all convered in blisters,"Please keep that photo and show it too me every so often so I will remember about her reaction." How can you forget?

SJS should have been picked up the FIRST time. And that dermatologist is another moron.

For those who are not aware, SJS can develop from medications (including penicillin) as well as vaccines.

Did you or the doc report to VAERS? If so, two reports would be submitted.

ETA: SJS is a VAERS reportable event. In other words, your doctor is required by law to report it. If no reports were submitted, I would do it yourself.
#497 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
maybe. i had to drink chemicals. i asked them if i could do OJ or sugar water instead. they said no
I had to drink something that tasted like flat Sprite with about four tablespoons of extra sugar dumped in. Now I'm wondering what was really in it.

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*
#498 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The ped looked at me like I was a wayward child and said,"That is coincidence. Have there been any double blind studies on these 'remedies'? That bout of eczema had finally run it's course."
And how many double blind studies have been done on any of the other things docs recommend for kids? Wow, just wow. So sorry you had that experience, Mama.
#499 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 01:24 PM

nak

Ok so now I'm scared. Do you think my kids are formalin deficient since they've never been vaxed? : Wow!!!!!

I love the kids are like cars analogy. Regular additives. Sheesh.

These are so scary, funny and infuriating.

I was told by the CNM that kids could get Hep B from shopping carts and it happens all the time. :

I got the whole herd immunity thing and that I was putting other kids are risk from the ped on base. When I said "oh so the vaxes don't really work then if the vaxed kids are still at risk" he said "well in oder for them to work properly everyone has to get get them." Yeah, that convinced me! :

He also told me, I couldn't put my kids in daycare (cause of the risk to other kids) and that I should seriously consider homeschool (so I didn't put the other kids at risk.) He said I should stay away from malls and that if I ever had to take my kids to the ER to make sure and tell the staff. "Why? Will they treat my kids differently?"
"No they just will have to look for other diseases than if they were vaxed."

The other ped on base (civilian ped) threatened me with my son dying of a brain bleed since I didn't give him the vit k shot. She told me I was "lucky" it hadn't happened yet and basically that he could drop dead at any second.

The naturopath I've taken my kids to twice (who is completely against vaxes) told me I have to give my kids the Tetanus shot. Why? Because tetanus is in the ground and he respects it. It's not like it's a virus or something. When I pointed out that they couldn't get a tetanus shot by itself until they were 10 and I wasn't going to give them the DTaP he got really offended. He told me to do my research and I would come around on this one - though he's totally against vaxing in general. I told him if I ever had a tetanus incident with my kids they would get the immunoglobulin shot. He pulls out his Physicians Desk Reference and shows me that it's made from blood and that there's risk of hep C and AIDS so he could never recommend I use it. So he would rather I give my kids one of the most reactive vaxes out there because he respects tetanus? :

If I weren't totally convicted that vaxes are completely wrong, I can see myself caving with some of these tactics. What were the trained by the KGB in manipulation?
#500 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
He said, "Vaccines are safe I have never had a child in my practice with a serious reaction.
Quote:
"Please keep that photo and show it too me every so often so I will remember about her reaction."

Makes ya wonder...
#501 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 01:46 PM

Fiddle, OMG - from a naturopath?! :
#502 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
When I pointed out that they couldn't get a tetanus shot by itself until they were 10 and I wasn't going to give them the DTaP he got really offended.
i'm not sure you can get tetanus vax alone at all. i think i heard they no longer make it solo, they just give DT (no P or aP), and call it a "tetanus shot."

they don't tell you about the D, because vaxes are so safe, why should they bother? :

#503 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerluddite View Post
i'm not sure you can get tetanus vax alone at all. i think i heard they no longer make it solo, they just give DT (no P or aP), and call it a "tetanus shot."

they don't tell you about the D, because vaxes are so safe, why should they bother? :
Tetanus toxoid is still being manufactured in two multi-dose formulations, one for adults only and the other is indicated for individuals age 7+

The formulations contain 25 micrograms of mercury in each dose.
#504 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post

SJS should have been picked up the FIRST time. And that dermatologist is another moron.

For those who are not aware, SJS can develop from medications (including penicillin) as well as vaccines.

Did you or the doc report to VAERS? If so, two reports would be submitted.

ETA: SJS is a VAERS reportable event. In other words, your doctor is required by law to report it. If no reports were submitted, I would do it yourself.
Nope no VAERS report was made. It happened 4 years ago, can it still be reported?
#505 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nope no VAERS report was made. It happened 4 years ago, can it still be reported?
Absolutely, there is no time limit. Here is a link to the online entry page: https://secure.vaers.org/VaersDataEntryintro.htm

This is the information you will be asked:
http://vaers.hhs.gov/pdf/vaers_form.pdf
#506 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
If I weren't totally convicted that vaxes are completely wrong, I can see myself caving with some of these tactics. What were the trained by the KGB in manipulation?
: I find this very funny because the 7th graders I work with (I'm an assistant teacher at a local charter school) are going to be learning about the Russian Revolution and the rise of communism so I've been boning up on my history and some of that stuff that Lenin and Stalin did during that time was scary and I can totally see something like the AMA in a conference:

Quote:
argu[ing] that a policy of "open and systematic mass terror" be instigated against "those responsible." (from the Wikipedia entry on Lenin)
(Hope that's not against the UA

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#507 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 06:05 PM

A couple of days ago at ds's 6 week check-up (first and last visit for a loooong time):

Ped: Okay well since he's almost 2 months we'll go ahead and do his vaccines today. (
Me: Actually, we're not ready for that yet. I'm still doing my research.
Ped: Well, what specific concerns do you have? (yeah like I'm going to sit there and explain each one)
Me: mumble..immune system..shuffle feet (no spine at all)
Ped: You know, the vaccines are made with the baby's age taken into consideration. It's important that you vax on time becasue he's at his most vulnerable right now. If he gets sick he would need to be hospitalized and could die. (!!!!)
Me: I'll think about that.

So If the vaccines are made with baby's specific age taken into consideration why the heck was she trying to give them to him early?! Oy, I need to work on this. I think I'll soon be going with, "We're religiously opposed to vaccinations".

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#508 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
I think I'll soon be going with, "We're religiously opposed to vaccinations".
Yeah, and you'll be saving yourself from many big-ass headaches. That is definitely the way to go. Smart girl.
#509 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
A couple of days ago at ds's 6 week check-up (first and last visit for a loooong time):

Ped: Okay well since he's almost 2 months we'll go ahead and do his vaccines today. (
Me: Actually, we're not ready for that yet. I'm still doing my research.
Ped: Well, what specific concerns do you have? (yeah like I'm going to sit there and explain each one)
Me: mumble..immune system..shuffle feet (no spine at all)
Ped: You know, the vaccines are made with the baby's age taken into consideration. It's important that you vax on time becasue he's at his most vulnerable right now. If he gets sick he would need to be hospitalized and could die. (!!!!)
Me: I'll think about that.

So If the vaccines are made with baby's specific age taken into consideration why the heck was she trying to give them to him early?! Oy, I need to work on this. I think I'll soon be going with, "We're religiously opposed to vaccinations".
Not to mention if vaccines are age-specific, why the hell do they give the same dose at birth, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 18 month boosters, 4 year old boosters, etc.? What a load of crap!
#510 of 666 Old 01-12-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
Tetanus toxoid is still being manufactured in two multi-dose formulations, one for adults only and the other is indicated for individuals age 7+

The formulations contain 25 micrograms of mercury in each dose.
nice to know, thanks!

so, unless this has changed back and forth, availability and all, that then adds another lie i've been told: "they don't make tetanus vax solo anymore; if you want a tetanus shot, you have to have DT." this was told to me by a nurse at kaiser's travel medicine clinic when i was getting vaxes before going to Haiti in 2000.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page