Name that lie . . . and other scaremongering stories and quotes from your ped - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 666 Old 05-04-2006, 01:58 PM
 
spero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the back of beyond
Posts: 9,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingogirl
"The doctor said "You've just got to understand, by mass vaccinating we are saving so many, but there are going to be LOSSES. Your son is one of them, and you just need to accept it."
:

Geez, a dagger straight through her heart would have been kinder.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
spero is offline  
#62 of 666 Old 05-04-2006, 03:10 PM
 
Persephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today, I was told my three month old unvaxed baby could die from measels, or die in 24 hours from menigitis. Measels doesn't scare me any more than chicken pox does, but meningitis is scary to me, and I don't know that much about it, so I think I'll do more research.
Persephone is offline  
#63 of 666 Old 05-04-2006, 03:37 PM
 
Jen123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL your three month old is too young for the shot. Do these people just not think before they speak ? Or do they really believe the lies they tell ?
Jen123 is offline  
#64 of 666 Old 05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
 
spero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the back of beyond
Posts: 9,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Menactra is only indicated for ages 11 and up (so far ).

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
spero is offline  
#65 of 666 Old 05-04-2006, 05:19 PM
 
crazy_eights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nisht ahir un nish aher
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Response of clinic nurse when I told her that family doctor had recommended we discontinue DPT with my son who had 104.5 fever and screamed for 24 hours afterward "Oh, that's considered a normal reaction. Only if the fever is over 105 or they scream for 48 hours is it a problem."

The funniest part? The clinic doctor got wind of all this (nurse went out to talk to him) and then said he refused to vaccinate my son. However, they wanted me to sign something saying I refused to have him vaccinated. I said, "But you just said you refuse to vaccinate him. Why do I have to sign this?" "In case he ever get's the disease, we have to prove that you refused" "Wait - my doctor said not to give it and you are refusing to vaccinate him, why am I signing this?" Doctor (deep sigh) "Fine, just bring in a doctor's note saying we shouldn't vaccinate him." [this happend in Israel btw]

My favorite was the school nurse here in the US to a friend (married to an MD no less) who was selectively vaccinating 'No, you have to give all the recommended vaccinations or you have to homeschool. There is no exemption in our state.' To which my friend replied 'You are not going to convince me that "Chava X" [me!] gave these "farkakta" vaccinations to her kids and she's got her kids enroled here! There has to be an exemption.' To which the nurse beat a hasty retreat saying 'Well, I can't tell you what Mrs. X is doing, but I'll get you the forms for the exemption ....[which they had right in the school office!]'
crazy_eights is offline  
#66 of 666 Old 05-04-2006, 05:21 PM
 
LadyButler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2seven
Response of clinic nurse when I told her that family doctor had recommended we discontinue DPT with my son who had 104.5 fever and screamed for 24 hours afterward "Oh, that's considered a normal reaction. Only if the fever is over 105 or they scream for 48 hours is it a problem."

The funniest part? The clinic doctor got wind of all this (nurse went out to talk to him) and then said he refused to vaccinate my son. However, they wanted me to sign something saying I refused to have him vaccinated. I said, "But you just said you refuse to vaccinate him. Why do I have to sign this?" "In case he ever get's the disease, we have to prove that you refused" "Wait - my doctor said not to give it and you are refusing to vaccinate him, why am I signing this?" Doctor (deep sigh) "Fine, just bring in a doctor's note saying we shouldn't vaccinate him." [this happend in Israel btw]

My favorite was the school nurse here in the US to a friend (married to an MD no less) who was selectively vaccinating 'No, you have to give all the recommended vaccinations or you have to homeschool. There is no exemption in our state.' To which my friend replied 'You are not going to convince me that "Chava X" [me!] gave these "farkakta" vaccinations to her kids and she's got her kids enroled here! There has to be an exemption.' To which the nurse beat a hasty retreat saying 'Well, I can't tell you what Mrs. X is doing, but I'll get you the forms for the exemption ....[which they had right in the school office!]'

I just LOVE it when they get caught in their own lies!!!!
LadyButler is offline  
#67 of 666 Old 05-04-2006, 07:35 PM
 
dingogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oztralia
Posts: 1,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One more from the mother I mentioned earlier:

(At the hospital) The first thing they asked us was "Is he up to date on his vaccines?" I told the lady "no," and that he had a medical exemption. She pulled us aside and whispered that she understood, but we needed to be quiet because she could lose her job if they knew what she was about to tell us. She was a young D.O. I guess she was getting extra hours working in the emergency room. She said she had seen a lot of kids with post-vaccinal problems, but she said, "They don't take kindly to to that kind of talk around here..."
dingogirl is offline  
#68 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 12:44 AM
 
mom2tig99Nroo03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: praying, researchin' and bedrestin'
Posts: 9,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
"The doctor said "You've just got to understand, by mass vaccinating we are saving so many, but there are going to be LOSSES. Your son is one of them, and you just need to accept it."

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
mom2tig99Nroo03 is offline  
#69 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 01:17 AM
 
mamaverdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Me. "You are just a GP who went to med school, did three hours of nutrition, five on immunisation, and weren't taught how to diagnose diphtheria because you don't need to know how because there is a vaccine. So exactly how much do you know?"
to that GP.
mamaverdi is offline  
#70 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 02:01 AM
 
mamaverdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow these stories are sad, shocking, and hilarious in some cases.

Your child will not start to gain weight unless you vaccinate him.

Chicken pox are atypical in the vaccinated child. (This child is not vaccinated.)

Resident: Why has your child not been vaccinated at all?!
Me: He has been sick his entire life so far. He runs fevers at least once a week. Neither my doctor nor I felt comfortable vaccinating him.
Resident (in Infectious Disease): Fevers are not a contraindication for vaccination.
Me: The manufacturer states that it is on their insert.
Resident: Hmph.

Vaccines work like homeopathy. You haven't been reading that Mothering Magazine have you?
mamaverdi is offline  
#71 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 02:10 AM
 
crazy_eights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Nisht ahir un nish aher
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, that reminds me of another one -

me: "I won't give a vaccination while my child is ill"

ped: "that's not a contraindication"

me: "the manufacturer says it is"

ped: "oh, they just say that to cover themselves!"

Current pediatrician never says a word to me about vaccinations, but tells my dh horror stories about people with no risk factors catching hep B and dying (dh jokes about it already. when I tell him it's his turn to take a kid to the doctor he says "am I going to have to hear that story about the guy who died of hep B and left a wife and two kids again?".) Or perfectly healthy children who dropped dead (or were permanently disfigured or brain injured) from Chicken Pox when he was a resident ("before we had a vaccine"). Or.... you get the picture. I think he's afraid of me and that's why he never says anything!
crazy_eights is offline  
#72 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 02:27 AM
 
blessed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingogirl
"The doctor said "You've just got to understand, by mass vaccinating we are saving so many, but there are going to be LOSSES. Your son is one of them, and you just need to accept it."
This is actually a common idea discussed by pediatricians when speaking about vaccinations to each other. They do accept that some children are damaged and killed by vaccines, but - hey, s*** happens.
blessed is offline  
#73 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 02:37 AM
 
Momtezuma Tuatara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
But when it's a child in their own practice, then its a coincidence Blessed.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Momtezuma Tuatara is offline  
#74 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 03:18 AM
 
mamaverdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"I accept that my child will die eventually. We all will. I'm still not vaccinating today." said to the nurse who was harassing me to vaccinate my child who had....drummmm roooollllll please..... just come out of major abdominal surgery.

The baby's urologist was right there. The nurse says to him, "What do you think doctor? Shouldn't she vaccinate this child?" The doctor was so courteous, said, "If you do that, don't babies usually run a fever? If he runs a fever, how will we know if it's from the vaccine or the surgery? Then you're gonna be calling me at my house asking me to come in and see if he has an infection, aren't you?" Nurse, "well, yes." Doctor, "Well then...?" Nurse walks out of the room without answering.
mamaverdi is offline  
#75 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 04:12 AM
 
Momtezuma Tuatara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, he was nice.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Momtezuma Tuatara is offline  
#76 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 04:23 AM
 
mamaverdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He's a nice guy and highly skilled. She was a lunatic that nurse.
mamaverdi is offline  
#77 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 04:52 AM
 
Momtezuma Tuatara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like your sig says. You can't fool all the people all the time. The simple majority won that day...

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Momtezuma Tuatara is offline  
#78 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 05:05 AM
 
mamaverdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I my sig.
mamaverdi is offline  
#79 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 08:36 AM
 
Mavournin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
Doc: (Here's the clincher) "We don't see those types of children in the Ct suburbs, only in the inner cities, so we do not need to know medical history before vaccinating."
Oh that just ticks me off.


Mostly my idiot pediatrician has left me alone about vaccines. Probably because we only go in when the kids are really ill. I quit doing well-baby visits after Ds's 9 mo. appointment when the ped tried to convince me that my baby had shrunk and wasn't gaining weight and was small (he was 20 lbs) and that I should switch to formula.... But I digress...
Mavournin is offline  
#80 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 08:43 AM
 
guestmama9924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Conch Republic
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"you are putting the immunocompromised at risk with your children not being vax'd"- health department lady when I went to get my religious exemption
guestmama9924 is offline  
#81 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 08:51 AM
 
SaraFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingogirl
From a mother on another board:
"The doctor said "You've just got to understand, by mass vaccinating we are saving so many, but there are going to be LOSSES. Your son is one of them, and you just need to accept it."
Each time I think of this statement I am horrified all over again. That must be the most insensitive thing that could EVER have been said to that parent.
SaraFR is offline  
#82 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
 
LongIsland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 11,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysMama
"you are putting the immunocompromised at risk with your children not being vax'd"- health department lady when I went to get my religious exemption

I forgot about the Florida DOH! Florida mamas - please put in your favorite quotes.
LongIsland is offline  
#83 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 09:35 AM
 
Sirte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland
I forgot about the Florida DOH! Florida mamas - please put in your favorite quotes.
Okay - I'll bite!

"There is a mumps epidemic in Florida right now!"
Said to me earlier this week by the director of the health clinic who was giving me a hard time about obtaining a religious exemption. For the record, Florida has reported less than 5 cases of mumps this year to date. And the Fla. Dept. of Health has deemed that this number is to be expected given that we see about 10 cases of mumps reported in Fla. annually. You'd think that the director of the friggin' clinic would know that so either she's damned ignorant or a blatant liar. Either way...
Sirte is offline  
#84 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 09:37 AM
 
rachelmarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At 2-month WBV I (naively) asked the ped what his opinion was on vaxes. In the course of the conversation he said this (all this was after small talk at the beginning of the visit about Easter, etc.): "So, you're going to Ohio for Easter in 2 weeks? Well, it's much colder there and there is the definitely possibility ds will get pertussis."

He also said something about 15 or 20 years ago having "several" children from his practice die every year from Hib.

At the 6-month WBV same practice, different ped: "If [ds] gets pertussis, he'll die. If he gets tetanus, he'll die. If he gets diptheria, he'll die"
Me: "So, what if he has a reaction? My niece was extremely tired and ran a fever for 3 or 4 days after both her 2-month and 4-month shots."
Him: "She must have picked something up at the doctor's office. Ds will not have a reaction to his vaccines. Trust me. I would never do anything to hurt your child." (And after he said that I began to doubt myself and ds ended up getting a couple shots, had a "mild" reaction to Prevnar and we have not vaccinated at all since and never will again.)

We have since left that practice. Well... during the times I was asking questions it was made clear to me we wouldn't be welcome there if we didn't vax on schedule. We have found a really great, supportive family dr. which I'm really thankful for.
rachelmarie is offline  
#85 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 09:51 AM
 
Sirte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by judesmama
"So, you're going to Ohio for Easter in 2 weeks? Well, it's much colder there and there is the definitely possibility ds will get pertussis."
The heck? I know that pertussis can happen at any time, but even the CDC's pink book pegs summer/fall, not spring, as the peak time. A big, fat thumbs-down to that doc.
Sirte is offline  
#86 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 10:10 AM
 
rachelmarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirte
The heck? I know that pertussis can happen at any time, but even the CDC's pink book pegs summer/fall, not spring, as the peak time. A big, fat thumbs-down to that doc.
I know! Isn't that nuts? It really just blows me away what some of these "educated" MDs will say.
rachelmarie is offline  
#87 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 10:13 AM
 
lilsishomemade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: With Dorothy
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingogirl
One more from the mother I mentioned earlier:

(At the hospital) The first thing they asked us was "Is he up to date on his vaccines?" I told the lady "no," and that he had a medical exemption. She pulled us aside and whispered that she understood, but we needed to be quiet because she could lose her job if they knew what she was about to tell us. She was a young D.O. I guess she was getting extra hours working in the emergency room. She said she had seen a lot of kids with post-vaccinal problems, but she said, "They don't take kindly to to that kind of talk around here..."
I took my middle son to the ER after his first DTaP at two months, running a very high fever and being lethargic. I was breastfeeding him, and the doctors were completely confused as to why he was so sick. I mention he got his shots, and they told me that it was "impossible" that this could be related to his shots. They did every test under the sun. We ended up staying in the hospital for three days and his dx was "fever of undetermined origin." : His ped said, "Well, I would have thought it was a reaction, but since you didn't bring him to me, I have to go off of the other doctor's opinion." AND THEN, on a yahoo group here locally there was a doctor, and she told me that there are absolutely no side effects to the DTaP!! I immediately started taking him to my own doctor, who is a FP and is great.
lilsishomemade is offline  
#88 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 10:15 AM
 
guestmama9924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Conch Republic
Posts: 2,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsishomemade
I took my middle son to the ER after his first DTaP at two months, running a very high fever and being lethargic.
Easy for me to say in hindsight here, but I would have insisted on a VAERS report.
Glad you baby is ok.
guestmama9924 is offline  
#89 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 10:23 AM
 
lilsishomemade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: With Dorothy
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysMama
Easy for me to say in hindsight here, but I would have insisted on a VAERS report.
Glad you baby is ok.
At first, it wasn't reported, and I didn't realize I could report it myself. But, I was asking my current doctor (who was very upset about this when I switched my boys over to him) and reporting, and he has! He's not anti-vax, but he's very parent friendly, and really does listen to a mother's intuition. I'm going to hate moving...
lilsishomemade is offline  
#90 of 666 Old 05-05-2006, 01:44 PM
 
mom2tig99Nroo03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: praying, researchin' and bedrestin'
Posts: 9,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi
"I accept that my child will die eventually. We all will. I'm still not vaccinating today." said to the nurse who was harassing me to vaccinate my child who had....drummmm roooollllll please..... just come out of major abdominal surgery.

The baby's urologist was right there. The nurse says to him, "What do you think doctor? Shouldn't she vaccinate this child?" The doctor was so courteous, said, "If you do that, don't babies usually run a fever? If he runs a fever, how will we know if it's from the vaccine or the surgery? Then you're gonna be calling me at my house asking me to come in and see if he has an infection, aren't you?" Nurse, "well, yes." Doctor, "Well then...?" Nurse walks out of the room without answering.
at the nurse.
for that dr

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
mom2tig99Nroo03 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off