Name that lie . . . and other scaremongering stories and quotes from your ped - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2006, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
from Castle's article
Quote:
I'll probably focus on the fact that the vaccine prevents cervical cancer in my sell, and not on the fact that this prevents a sexually transmitted disease," said Dr. Joseph Hagan , a Burlington, Vt., pediatrician active in the American Academy of Pediatrics. ``You know why? Because my Dad sold insurance, and I know what to emphasize and what not to emphasize."
How's that for informed consent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2006, 08:50 PM

Sara, we cross posted. Great minds think alike.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERSsmom
Sara, we cross posted. Great minds think alike.
I'll take that as a compliment.

THANK YOU!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm
I just got the usual...Your DD will die and is at rick for.....stuff. I had done the research and hit her witht the spread sheet I had done up from CDC mortality statistics and VAERS. She had no response to that...what can you say to the hard numbers? 2 reported deaths from CP vs 6 from the vax + 2674 VAERS reports? I have all the major VPDs and the numbers just don't add up.

oooHHH, ARE YOU WILLING/ABLE TO SHARE THIS?

I would LOVE this....I have been trying to find time to compile this, to show to people, and I would love you forever if you could share this.
I'll send you a cookie if you want.

CPST
Old 05-29-2006, 11:21 PM

I have it all saved as an Excel file. If you want to PM me your e-mail, I'll zap it off to you. That goes for anyone who would like a copy

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Old 05-30-2006, 02:29 AM

Quote:
``What I will probably do is point out that last year alone, more people died of cervical cancer, which was pretty much directly produced by Human Papillomavirus, than were killed in 9/11," said Watson, president of Pediatrics West, a private practice with offices in Concord, Westwood, and Groton. ``People appreciate those sorts of comparisons."
Appreciate?! I'm quite sure they meant to use the word scared of instead. :
Old 06-09-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT
My Ped didn't give me any scaremongering. I was simply told to vax or get out. No discussion what so ever. :
I got that too. I left that practice and went to a new one, the only one in town that is ok with not vaxing. Doesn't mean she won't try to scare us, like she did when we interviewed her. "Your daughter could get tetanus just playing in the sand on the playground!"

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 PM

At our first pedi visit (mind you, this WAS our pedi...no longer.)

"so, I think I see what your saying. You are refusing vax's. Kids die from Chicken pox, and I suppose you will refuse that as well."

Ok, DS was like 4 weeks old...or 6 weeks. And we were fighting over the chickenpox, which isnt even a recommended vax for that visit.

Ugh. Needless to say, this relationship wasnt a loving one. Finally I smartened up and moved on.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 PM

I thought DD#1 had mumps three weeks ago. I called the ped. on the phone and *she laughed* and said mumps only happens in "in college kids who didn't get the shots". (DD#1 had her MMR, albeit delayed)

The next week my DH had mumps. It took longer for him to heal, but it did! (He'd never had MMR or mumps as a kid, amazingly. He's certainly not a college kid, though!)
Old 06-10-2006, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I took Ez to his first pediatrician she was semi-respectful (I've heard worse) but gave me all these pamphlets explaining now "a little redness adn a sore arm is worth saving your baby from the risk of being one of THREE BABIES DIAGONSED A YEAR"... Anyways, so when I mentioned that I'd done all my research and mentioned that I declined the Vitamin K shot, this is what she said.

"You declined the Vitamin K shot!?!?!?! Do you know what ot look for??? You have to make sure he's not bleeding anywhere! His nose or his mouth or anywhere! He coudl have internal bleeding! It's very dangerous!"

arg.... but after that she didn't bother me much.However, I've only seen her once since then I think. I gave up on WBVs...they're useless, esp. if I'm just going to be told to vax.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 06-13-2006, 06:48 PM

bump
Old 06-13-2006, 06:58 PM

I've got a new one....
I was calling dentists in the area looking for one who could put braces on my boy.
I finally found one that sounded AP friendly. Then over the phone talking with the nurse she asked "Is he up to date on his shots ?".

Me: (trying not to say "he's not a dog") No. We've got a religious exemption.

nurse: Oh. But in the process of putting braces on he could get cut with the metal and then he'd get tetanus.

Me: Are you telling me you don't use sterilized equipment ?

nurse: Of course we do. But i'd be worried about the rest of the family catching it too.

Me: Catching what ? Tetanus ?

nurse: YES. It's very deadly ya know.

Me: Thank you for your time. You've just made my decision a LOT easier. Tetanus isn't contagious. Any office staff that is so sorely misinformed on something so basic won't be getting my hard earned dollars.

So there ya have it folks...straight from a registered dental nurse...you can get tetanus from getting braces put on AND risk spreading it to the rest of the family.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
nurse: Of course we do. But i'd be worried about the rest of the family catching it too.

Yeah..... that's who I want in charge of my childs dental care :

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 06-13-2006, 07:07 PM

:::::
Good grief. Did you hang up right after? Or did she say something else??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen123
I've got a new one....
I was calling dentists in the area looking for one who could put braces on my boy.
I finally found one that sounded AP friendly. Then over the phone talking with the nurse she asked "Is he up to date on his shots ?".

Me: (trying not to say "he's not a dog") No. We've got a religious exemption.

nurse: Oh. But in the process of putting braces on he could get cut with the metal and then he'd get tetanus.

Me: Are you telling me you don't use sterilized equipment ?

Me: Thank you for your time. You've just made my decision a LOT easier. Tetanus isn't contagious. Any office staff that is so sorely misinformed on something so basic won't be getting my hard earned dollars.

So there ya have it folks...straight from a registered dental nurse...you can get tetanus from getting braces put on AND risk spreading it to the rest of the family.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:52 PM

She stuttered for a minute...something about "thanks for calling and have a good day" and I wished her a good day as well.

I tell ya....it cracks me up when someone says "But you aren't a doctor or nurse? You need to go to school to learn these things."

So far I know more than my doctor , his nurses , my health department , about two dozen different ER doctors I've come across , several EMT's , and various dentists.
I will freely admit I don't know everything about medicine....but when it comes to this issue I know more than any medical doctor I've ever spoken with. ( the Naturopathic and Chiropractic doctors know more than I do on this issue.)
Old 06-14-2006, 08:11 AM

:
I wish I could say the same, but right on girl!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:27 AM

You'd be surprised sunshinestarr, at how LITTLE these people do know. You probably know more, but just don't know that you do.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

Old 06-14-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm
I have it all saved as an Excel file. If you want to PM me your e-mail, I'll zap it off to you. That goes for anyone who would like a copy
I want it!

I wonder what ever happened to Gene...?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 06-14-2006, 03:57 PM

My MIL has on more than one occasion give me the "look" when I tell her we're not doing the varicella vaccine, at least until later. "Don't you know kids DIE from that?" Uhhh, did your son/my dh die? No. Did I die after being exposed at 2 days old? No. I've told her that him getting it can boost other's immunity to shingles, and she STILL thinks I'm nuts. "You mean you'd risk S's life just so you don't get shingles??"

My dd's ped scared me into getting prevar and HiB. He agreed on HepB not being necessary (for now), though.

The entire staff thought I was cukoo for not having any vax done before her 3 month appt. The nurse told me there was an outbreak of mumps or measles nearby - trying to get me to give ds the MMR.

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
Old 06-14-2006, 06:21 PM

Give the MMR at three months old ????? It isn't even on the schedule until 12 months.
Seriously....giving the MMR to a three month old could kill them. That's not a doctor I'd ever want to see again. That kind of misinformation is deadly.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Old 06-22-2006, 12:33 AM

Today at ds' 9 month well visit (only his 2nd ever) I heard:
Babies have died in my arms of hib (She said this like 5 times). It's a horrible death.
A baby in her practice came in after mother couldn't wake her. A spinal tap came out all pus. The babe was not vaxed.
Pnuemococcal ear infections only respond to IV vancomycin.

Suzy

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
Old 06-22-2006, 12:59 AM

If they were not safe the government would have pulled them by now.

Right- cause the gov'n always has the consumers best interest at heart
Old 06-22-2006, 02:13 AM

My DD had all required required shots up until her 4 mo round when she screamed high pitch for hours and wouldn't wake to nurse or eat for nearly 12hours.
She hadn't had any shots after that.
I ended up getting a new pediatrician when she was 2 1/2 whom was also a pediatric nerologist. After I explained to him her previous reaction and mentioned I might consider delayed vax......
What he said was: "Ohhhh well if you'd like to continue when she's older I will give all the others except for DTaP, but if you want this shot done I can refer you to another ped."
What I heard was: "I don't want to be responsible if she dies or has a worse reaction."
Needless to say that moment a light bulb clicked and she has not had shots since
Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 AM

When we first moved to AZ, I had a recommendation for a ped practice. At this doctor's office I asked about known outbreaks, or diseases that might be more common here than in the northeast, from where we moved. I then got this long tirade on how "this people in Scottsdale think they can leave their kids unvaccinated in their glass houses because THEY aren't around anything, and yet they have these Mexican nannies and housekeepers and everything else coming into their houses...." it went on from there. I wasn't sure what all his point was - that Mexicans were bringing diseases in? That people don't vaccinate their kids because they think they won't get sick because they're too rich? What the hell? It was just all around inflammatory. When he got all done I said I didn't live in Scottsdale, nor had domestic help - could he just tell me what VPD were typically seen in the area. He was no help. HE was shocked I was refusing chicken pox (really? this is what you choose to go to battle over?), and then said that he had a patient end up in the ER seriously ill after getting the chicken pox. And he'd only been out of the hospital for 2 weeks after being in there for a while with menengitis. : Right. Because his less than healthy immune system post- menengitis wouldn't at all be to blame. Still, no thanks.

We have a pedi now who is okay with the lack of vaccines. Tho one of the doctors in the practice told me she "requires" regular iron checks with unvaccinated children. Uh, right. What's the connection there? I was willing to do the iron check that time because DS2 had been anemic and DH was concerned. But regular ones? No.

I had a pedi in CT who told me I HAD to give DS1 infant cereal so that he would (I'm not making this up) "get used to the spoon." I said that he finger fed himself just fine, and was eating a pretty interesting diet. It's incredible that now, at 5.5 he can even use a knife! And without any infant cereal in his past! He also told me, after I said I wouldn't give DS1 vitamin drops ("he needs vitamin D" "right. he gets that from the sun." "that would be true in trinidad, but here in CT there isn't enough." "Really? amazing we survived this long, isn't it?") "well, if you'd rather wait until he develops rickets and anemia and we treat him for that, we can do that." Okay, fine. Then that's what we'll do. I saw HIS partner the next visit and when I casually asked about anemia and rickets she looked at me as if I had a second head. "THIS baby? This is an incredibly healthy baby. Why would you think he's at risk for rickets?" "well, you see...":

~amey (lacking good smilies due to being too lazy to get the big list)
Old 06-22-2006, 08:44 AM

"vaccinations are incredibly safe. There are NO side effects outside of soreness at the injection site."

"Your child will die without vaccinations."

"It is incredibly dangerous for a child to not be vaccinated, not only for you and your child but for society at large." (how can that be if society at large is "protected"/vaccinated?!)

When asked if the ped vaccinated her own children "of course. For everything. Even chickenpox. A lot of us think it's okay cause we had it ourselves, but I've seen many children DIE from this, and after seeing children die, you just don't want to take that risk with your own child." When I responded that vaccinated children often "get" chickenpox anyways I was told "your facts must be wrong. I've NEVER heard of that happening."

"you got your DOG vaccinated, didn't you?"

"there is no more thermosol in vaccines" (in California...is this even true?)

"there is so little mercury in there, you eat more or drink more from your regular diet" (yes, but I don't INJECT them into myself at birth...in fact, my baby doesn't EAT or drink a regular diet at all...only BM, which has already been processed by my body)

Not from a ped but from another "parent" with a "higher degree": "ALL ebf babies MUST have a vitamin and iron suppliment or else they will die." "ALL ebf babies MUST begin solid foods at 4-6 months or else they will die of severe malnurishment." "Waiting to give a baby solids until they are a year or older is child abuse and will result in a severely sick child."

from my midwife, after I tested GBS positive (okay, this isn't vaccine related, but it is RELATED):

"you MUST take IV antibiotics or else your baby will be stillborn"

"3% of babies get sick from GBS and 98-99% of those babies die"

"0% of babies get sick if you are given IV antibiotics during labor"

"there are NO side effects to taking two major doses of IV antibiotics in labor" (what about yeast, thrush...? Oh, and the risk of DEATH to the mother for taking this is almost equal to the risk of death to the infant for getting sick with GBS, btw.)

"if you refuse the IV antibiotics, your peditrician will not release your daughter until she has had a spinal tap and has been taken away from you for observation for several days"

"newborn babies can become sick and you would never know it or what to look for."

"IV antibiotics in labor do not enter the breastmilk"

and on a different occasion "IV antibiotics during labor just provide extra immunity to the breastmilk."

"Vitamin K is necessary for the newborn in the form of an injection."

"the vit K injection doesn't hurt or bother the baby."

"there are no negative side effects from an injection of vit k."

"there are no side effects for eyedrops at birth"

"eyedrops are necessary because you may have an STD and not know it."

"STD's can lie dormant for years and can be transmitted years before you were married or in other ways but through bodily fluids or dirty needles"

"an STD blood test does not actually tell you if you have an STD."

"your baby will be blind if not given eye drops and you DO have an STD or other bacteria in the vagina at birth"

"We wouldn't have to give your baby eyedrops if you had a c-section"

"we must break your waters or you will not be able to continue with your labor"

"you cannot take piticoin with a painkiller, it's either one or the other."

"your only option for pain management in labor besides an epidural is an IV of narcotics. This does not cross the placenta. Neither does epidural."

I don't want to get off subject here, but I thought these were related enough to be "honorable mentions."

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Old 06-22-2006, 09:49 AM

Oh, I forgot to add that on a vax poster in the waiting room that listed the dangers of all the VPDs. Death was listed for every one, even CP.

But we can't tell mothers to breastfeed because it might make them feel guilty.

Suzy

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
Old 06-22-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv
"vaccinations are incredibly safe. There are NO side effects outside of soreness at the injection site."

"Your child will die without vaccinations."

"It is incredibly dangerous for a child to not be vaccinated, not only for you and your child but for society at large." (how can that be if society at large is "protected"/vaccinated?!)

When asked if the ped vaccinated her own children "of course. For everything. Even chickenpox. A lot of us think it's okay cause we had it ourselves, but I've seen many children DIE from this, and after seeing children die, you just don't want to take that risk with your own child." When I responded that vaccinated children often "get" chickenpox anyways I was told "your facts must be wrong. I've NEVER heard of that happening."

"you got your DOG vaccinated, didn't you?"

"there is no more thermosol in vaccines" (in California...is this even true?)

"there is so little mercury in there, you eat more or drink more from your regular diet" (yes, but I don't INJECT them into myself at birth...in fact, my baby doesn't EAT or drink a regular diet at all...only BM, which has already been processed by my body)

Not from a ped but from another "parent" with a "higher degree": "ALL ebf babies MUST have a vitamin and iron suppliment or else they will die." "ALL ebf babies MUST begin solid foods at 4-6 months or else they will die of severe malnurishment." "Waiting to give a baby solids until they are a year or older is child abuse and will result in a severely sick child."

from my midwife, after I tested GBS positive (okay, this isn't vaccine related, but it is RELATED):

"you MUST take IV antibiotics or else your baby will be stillborn"

"3% of babies get sick from GBS and 98-99% of those babies die"

"0% of babies get sick if you are given IV antibiotics during labor"

"there are NO side effects to taking two major doses of IV antibiotics in labor" (what about yeast, thrush...? Oh, and the risk of DEATH to the mother for taking this is almost equal to the risk of death to the infant for getting sick with GBS, btw.)

"if you refuse the IV antibiotics, your peditrician will not release your daughter until she has had a spinal tap and has been taken away from you for observation for several days"

"newborn babies can become sick and you would never know it or what to look for."

"IV antibiotics in labor do not enter the breastmilk"

and on a different occasion "IV antibiotics during labor just provide extra immunity to the breastmilk."

"Vitamin K is necessary for the newborn in the form of an injection."

"the vit K injection doesn't hurt or bother the baby."

"there are no negative side effects from an injection of vit k."

"there are no side effects for eyedrops at birth"

"eyedrops are necessary because you may have an STD and not know it."

"STD's can lie dormant for years and can be transmitted years before you were married or in other ways but through bodily fluids or dirty needles"

"an STD blood test does not actually tell you if you have an STD."

"your baby will be blind if not given eye drops and you DO have an STD or other bacteria in the vagina at birth"

"We wouldn't have to give your baby eyedrops if you had a c-section"

"we must break your waters or you will not be able to continue with your labor"

"you cannot take piticoin with a painkiller, it's either one or the other."

"your only option for pain management in labor besides an epidural is an IV of narcotics. This does not cross the placenta. Neither does epidural."

I don't want to get off subject here, but I thought these were related enough to be "honorable mentions."
Holy moly!! From people who call themsevles professionals??????

Oh, and about chicken pox, all three us of had 'em when I was a kid, and came through just fine. And from what I understand, before the vaccine only about 100 kids were hospitalized with chicken pox every year, and about only 40 died? My point is that if those statistics are true that doctors could have not possibly seen hundreds of kids die from chicken pox if only about 40 die a year.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 06-22-2006, 04:15 PM

California has in fact banned thimerosal from all vax except the flu shot. Don't know how well companies comply, but the law is there.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry
California has in fact banned thimerosal from all vax except the flu shot. Don't know how well companies comply, but the law is there.
CA didn't ban thimerosal from all vaccines. The law doesn't allow full strength thimerosal-containing vaccines to be given to children under the age of three and pregnant women.

CA DOH memo:
http://www.calphys.org/assets/applet...emo_020906.pdf

Anyone over the age of three may still receive full strength thimerosal-containing influenza vaccine, including DT, TT and meningitis vaccines, which all contain 25 micrograms of thimerosal in the multi-dose formulation.

User Tag List