Drs rejecting non-vax and delayed vaxers? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are Drs. in your area dismissing alternative and non vaxers?
Yes 71 54.62%
No 48 36.92%
Other (explain) 11 8.46%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Frederick, MD. A number of practices in my area have recently decided to dismiss non-vaxing, selective vaxing and delayed vaxing patients. I'm wondering if it's just the uber-conservative (and very backwards) health care providers or if this is starting to become more common across the US.

How about your area? Are you seeing this trend emerging too?
#2 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 12:28 AM

New York City. Definitely.
#3 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
My chiro got a call from someone looking for a vax exception tolerant MD, so I suspect it is continuing to be a problem.

My granddaughter was ejected from the pediatrician's practice aged six months for the sin of being needle free. They ended up with a tolerant GP.

Vermont.
#4 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had a dr's office fire me for a number of reasons, non-vaxing being only one of them. The rest had to do with me not putting much faith in Conventional Medicine and questioning absolutely everything they recomended (not rejecting everything, just questioning everything.) The final straw was when my then 11yo DD refused a breast exam and I "let her" refuse it- apparently they thought I should force her to be examined rather than trust her to control her own body.

I'm on Long Island.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 01:06 AM

We were recently "fired" from the pediatrics practice we've patronized for over 18 years, for "non-compliance of office policies" - specifically, I flatly refused to sign their Vaccine Refusal Form.

I'm in upstate NY.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#6 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've seen this more with pediatricians than with GPs or family docs.
#7 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 09:42 AM

No, but I'm in Canada. Everyone I know with an unvax'd kid has a family doctor who doesn't care. (Ped's are only for referrels here)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#8 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 AM

I believe some doctors are in Columbus Ohio where our kids' ped is, but our ped is extremely supportive (and encouraging) of delayed/selective vaxing.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#9 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 AM

We were fired from our first ped for not vaxing. At his two month appointment, when I just said that I wanted a little more time to research everything. She threw a hissy fit and told told us our child would die, etc.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#10 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM

We don't really go to peds. Oldest grandson hasn't been since he was 15 months when he got one last vaccines. (dumb!)
He is 11 years old now.
Prior to that dd fired 3 peds before they could fire her. But it was for different reasons since at the time we were vaccinating.

The other two (totally vax free), ages almost 3 and 5, by a different dd, have been very sporatically (just to please the dad) and the ped wouldn't dare mention vaccines to my dd since he knows her personally and knows her views.

So, no problem for us.
#11 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 11:22 AM

Not that I know of.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#12 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 12:15 PM

Our family was recently fired by our Family Practice doctors for refusing to vaccinate. Since then I've called a number of offices in the area (Ped and FP) and so far none will take a non-vaxing family.

Kerry, loving wife to Pete, mama to DD (14) DS1 (9) DS2 (3) & Expecting someone new Jan 2013

#13 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 12:30 PM

We didn't get fired but we quit before that happened at 4mo. They're very pushy here and make you feel like an incompetent, uneducated (in the supposed benefits of vaxes) and irresponsible parents.
We're in south central PA.

Wife to Daryl 5/98, Mama to Eve 2/07, Lilie 11/08 and Victoria 10/10 --- Our First Water Homebirth. New blessing, Mathias, arrived 8/12 --- Our Second WaterHomebirth. Waiting to welcome baby #5 in May 2014.

#14 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 PM

It's awful that pediatricians offices are dismissing patients like this. I think the practice should be prohibited by law. It even goes against the AAP recommendations. I *do* think this practice may be more common on the east coast or in more conservative areas. I've never had a pediatrician's office dismiss me for not vaccinating my children, although I have been harassed at the ER (I brought in my older daughter to have her ears looked at, and the doctors were more concerned about the fact that she wasn't vaccinated than her ears and tried to convince me to do a spinal tap-we left, of course). In fact, I haven't gotten into any heated debates with any doctors except for that one time at the ER, and those doctors were quite young and probably very new to the field by the looks of it. This is in the Pacific Northwest. Our current pediatricians office is actually the one that I went to as a child (although they have a different name now) and our doctor doesn't pressure us to vaccinate at all, although she does ask about it every now and then.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#15 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 12:53 PM

When I went to get a 2nd opinion from a drs office years ago I was told that they generally do not take non vaxers but since I knew one of the MDs personally I could see her. I got the 2nd opinion, it was worse than the first and I never went back.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#16 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM

I'm in the DC metro area and we were just fired this morning for not vaxing. I was actually just coming on here to moan and groan about it when I saw your thread
#17 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When DS was 2 months we were fired from a ped in southeast GA for not vaxing.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#18 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 PM

Yes, they are here. When my youngest was born in June, we had decided to not vax anymore her and hadn't vaxed my oldest since she was 2 (I wish I knew what I know now, before then). Our physicians office said they do not see patients who do not vax and who do not vax on their schedule. So, my little one never went to their office for a check up or anything, and it took me 3 1/2 months to find a physician in town that sees patients who don't vax or delay. He's wonderful, and I'm glad I found him.

He's pro- homebirth, natural childbirth, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, etc.

Erica :
Mom to B (5 yrs) & I (2 yrs)
#19 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have no idea, but I would doubt it as I live in notorious Boulder, CO where only 60% of the children are fully vaxed. Personally, we don't go to mainstream allopathic doctors, so this is a non issue for me.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#20 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccomama View Post
I have no idea, but I would doubt it as I live in notorious Boulder, CO where only 60% of the children are fully vaxed. Personally, we don't go to mainstream allopathic doctors, so this is a non issue for me.
I remember seeing something on the news over about only 60-75% of the kids here are fully vaccinated. Maybe it's something about the hippie western states?

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#21 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 02:06 PM
rcr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
The final straw was when my then 11yo DD refused a breast exam and I "let her" refuse it- apparently they thought I should force her to be examined rather than trust her to control her own body.

I'm on Long Island.
why would an 11 YO need a breast exam?

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#22 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post
why would an 11 YO need a breast exam?
i'm wondering this too!

I don't know anyone personally who has been turned away, but I know our FP specifically takes patients who have been dismissed, so it's happening over here.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#23 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 02:53 PM

I said NO, but I live in Colorado also. I do go to mainstream Kaiser Dr.'s for somethings and they don't pressure me at all about vaxing. The reason I think they don't pressure is because they don't want to get a bad report card from the patient.

I also go to an Anthroposophic MD who doesn't vax his own kids and he has a private practice.

I saw a report that said that the entire state of Colorado is only 60% vaxed.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#24 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 03:28 PM

I'm in sw Missouri. We have been fired from ped practice for not vaxing. The only dr. I can find to take us is the Medicaid clinic (babies are on Medicaid for their first year). I can't find a gen prac who will see children here.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#25 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 03:47 PM

I don't THINK so. But I don't really know much about it. My kiddos are partially vaxed, and we get minor hassles but nothing serious, from our very mainstream peds.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#26 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 PM

No issues here in the SEattle area. We do see a naturapath, but I've heard that most dr's here are ok with non-vaxing patients. If they weren't, they'd not be as busy because most of the people I know are at least selective.

I did feel the need to lie in the Children's emergency room about or vax status because my son had scratch and the dr's/nurses kept asking if he was up to date on vax's while they looked at the scratch. They never even bothered to clean the scratch that concerned them so much :

I stumbled on a florida pediatrician office site a few weeks ago that specificly stated that they would not take non-vaxing or delayed patients. I was instantly sooo thankful that I live here. I will be forging some records if we ever move to such an area.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#27 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 PM

We live out in the boonies Texas and not one doctor here will see us. I gave up... If she needs to see a doctor they can't deny her but I don't go to any well visits and she has yet to get sick.
#28 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 PM

We are in North Central Arkansas and we were recently dismissed. I found another ped who will see us, but he's not happy about ds's vax status. There are no family practice clinics here that will see ds b/c of his age (too young, they say).

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#29 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 PM

Didn't vote.

We have never had a problem being non-vac'ers.

Kasier never asked.

But we don't do well baby/child. We just go when its something serious.
#30 of 62 Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM

I don't think they can do that here.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page