If you had to have just ONE sling/wrap/carrier for a newborn....? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... what would it be?

They tend to be pretty expensive. I'm sure I can afford to get more after tax refund time. For now, I want to make sure I have at least *one* that is pretty simple to use (i.e. if I need to put it on to go to the grocery store), and is comfortable/doable for a newborn. What would you recommend if you could only have ONE for awhile?

I really like the look of the Moby and Maya wraps, but those seem a bit complicated for a beginner!

-
#2 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 03:40 PM

if *i* could only have one thing for a newborn, it would be a ring sling, definitely. they have always been my favorite with a newborn, especially since i find them easiest to nurse in discreetly.

i also quite like a Kozy with a newborn, and that has the benefit of also being an awesome older baby/toddler carrier and a very easy learning curve.

but i think you'll find most people will say a stretchy wrap. my problem with those is my babies are huge and after 2 months they are no longer useful for me. but if you make tiny little babies, they're useful for a lot longer.
#3 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 03:47 PM

I would choose a ring sling if I had to choose one.I love them I find the to be very comfy and versatile. I would also like a stretchy wrap for the first few months.

You could get a wonderful, inexpensive ring sling ($25-$35) from Sleeping Baby Productions and then also possibly be able to afford a stretchy wrap (about $40). Babywearing doesn't have to be expensive.

''''

#4 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 03:49 PM

I agree with a good, comfy ring sling. Next choice would be a stretchy wrap.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 04:11 PM

ring sling for sure- they are very versatile, and they wash up so easy and once you get the hang of it, they are so easy to use and they won't really break the bank.

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
#6 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 05:53 PM

I have a Maya ring sling like this http://www.mayawrap.com/viewItem.asp...esc=&Search=N#

You can get them off of Ebay or other online places used for much cheaper though! It's adjustable, fits newborn thru toddler/preschooler! I still use it on my 2 year old. It's easy to use, quick pop in and pop out. Adjust while your wearing it too for ease.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#7 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 PM

Microfleece peanut shell pouch for sure.

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#8 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 06:15 PM

For a newborn, i say fleece kkafp. It was easy to slip the baby into after he fell asleep & i could put my maternity coat over it & take him outside.
#9 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM

If I could just have 1 to start w/ it would be some sort of pouch (I have a New Native & a fleece Karma Baby & I like them both). then when I got my tax return I'd get a mei tai.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#10 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 08:25 PM

Especially when I was a first time mama, I felt really nervous about how secure my baby was in the ring sling. To top it off, both my babies HATED being carried in the cradle position and I never could stabilize their heads when in the upright position of the ring sling. I used the ring sling only for the sitting on the hip position which is useless when baby is a newborn (needs to be close to unsupported sitting to do the hip hold.)

My moby ran me $40. I guess it would be called a stretchy wrap. In fact, it is so simple (a 6 yard length of jersey cotton) I tried to purchase the fabric to make a second one, but could not get the right length and width for a better price.

I like the Moby better than the ring sling because it is softer, more secure, doesn't impede the movement of one arm, and the baby's weight is evenly distributed across the whole back. (I have trouble with the ring sling throwing my back out due to the pressure all on one side--and yes, I spread the fabric out over my whole shoulder and back). Nursing in the Moby is easier than the sling; just wear a shirt that accessible from the top side of the breast (nursing cami's are perfect and s sweater or jacket can be worn over the moby in winter), position baby over nipple and cover the top of breast with the matching bag the moby is packaged in. I did that all summer, at the park, walking through stores, talking to young male check-out clerks (usually the most freaked out about public nursing). Putting the Moby on is daunting at first, but with practice it's pretty quick and easy. Also, since it feels like a shirt you can wear it all day, and slip baby in and out for diaper changes and seated nursing. It even covers your breast well for seated nursing.

The only drawback, if you don't have a distributor or someone in your area to work with you and the baby to practice wearing it, it is really overwhelming to figure it out. In other words, i wouldn't recommend buying it online unless you already know someone who loves it.

::: Mama to Feingold target: Sebastian(10/05) and Savannah, my allergy princess (b 6/08). Avoiding dairy, corn, soy, oats, sesame, eggs, nuts, seafood, and banana
#11 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I really like the moby wrap. I never could get the hang of the two slings I have an my dd didn't really like them. I was able to breastfeed my lo with the moby and I can still use it and she is 5 months, almost 19 lbs.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#12 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 10:03 PM

I agree about a fitted pouch. I used a New Native and I can't think of anything easier because there is no adjusting, it folds to nothing in your car or diaper bag, it is great for nursing and "grows" with you baby.

This time around I am also using Slinglings and Karma fleece in addition to wraps and others but my black NN will always be the "go to" staple for quick trips.
#13 of 28 Old 11-22-2008, 05:58 PM

If you're planning on getting one now and one later, I'd get the stretchy wrap now and the ring sling later.

Despite what it seems like I found the stretchy wrap much easier to use than the ring sling in the beginning. It's more forgiving of newbie mistakes IMO. It took a day or so to get fairly comfortable with the wrap and a month or so to get proficient with the ring sling for me.

Moby has pretty good online instructions (you can use them even if you buy a different stretchy wrap) and you can search youtube for videos of people demonstrating it.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#14 of 28 Old 11-22-2008, 06:26 PM

moby wrap for sure !
#15 of 28 Old 11-22-2008, 09:06 PM

Moby Wrap is one of my favorite because you can do so many different positions. It's actually not complicated at all to use. Not much more than any other carriers.
#16 of 28 Old 11-22-2008, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'd vote moby too. I love ring slings for how quick and easy they are, but after about 20 minutes my back killed no matter what I did so I always hurt, cuz I was really committed to wearing those lil babies even though they weren't mine! After I stopped nannying I found out about moby wraps lol sigh. A friend of mine had one and could put it on lickety split and wear it all day and night and not hurt!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#17 of 28 Old 11-22-2008, 09:55 PM

My "faux" moby wrap that I made and cost me a whoopin' 15 dollars for materials. I actually ended up with two
http://www.mamatoto.org

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#18 of 28 Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 PM

kangaroo korner adjustable fleece pouch. I've tried a bunch, but that one just.. rocks. It's so easy and soft.

~e, wife to my sweet T partners.gif, mama to my turtleman (8) , sunshine (6 vbac.gif), and monkey (2)
#19 of 28 Old 11-22-2008, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would want a ring sling with a shoulder pad but not with padded rails.

When my girls were little, I had a padded ring sling and I liked it, but didnt' like how the padding interfered with its adjustability. Then I got an unpadded ring sling before DS was born (WAHM-made, about $15) and found that the unpadded shoulder made it hard for my body to support his weight- I ended up pinning a cushion to the shoulder part to make it more comfortable for me.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#20 of 28 Old 11-23-2008, 07:43 PM

I'm a newbie and learning for when my baby is born in January. I bought some material to make myself a Moby style wrap. Something that I wanted to throw out though. My friend has something similar to a Hot Sling. She loves it, but whenever I wore it with her daughter I was in a lot of pain. She seemed to think that I would just need a larger size and that would fix the problem. (She is a lot smaller than me.) Does that sound right to any of you?

Comforts of Home Midwifery

#21 of 28 Old 11-23-2008, 08:53 PM

I vote Moby Wrap. It really is easy to use and so super comfy with a newborn (especially in the winter time). I love my ring slings, too, but if I could only choose one in the beginning it would be the Moby.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#22 of 28 Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 PM

Another vote for the Kangaroo Korner adjustable fleece pouch. I was too intimidated by the Moby wrap, even though I could see that it was more versatile. What's nice is that I'm using the Kangaroo Korner again now that DD can be carried on my hip. It's been a wonderful investment. If your DH and you are near the same size it is likely that you will be able to wear the same pouch. If you get hot easily or for summer babies, they make a mesh pouch that my DH got because he's a hot-body.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#23 of 28 Old 11-23-2008, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmidwife View Post
I'm a newbie and learning for when my baby is born in January. I bought some material to make myself a Moby style wrap. Something that I wanted to throw out though. My friend has something similar to a Hot Sling. She loves it, but whenever I wore it with her daughter I was in a lot of pain. She seemed to think that I would just need a larger size and that would fix the problem. (She is a lot smaller than me.) Does that sound right to any of you?
Definitely possible--pouches need to be correctly sized.

However, some people (me...) never really get on with one shoulder carries.

I would recommend a wrap of some type. A Moby is actually pretty easy to learn since you pretie and the stretch means you don't have to be precise.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#24 of 28 Old 11-23-2008, 11:28 PM

For a newborn -a Moby or other stretchy wrap, hands down. If I could have two I would also get a hotsling.
#25 of 28 Old 11-23-2008, 11:44 PM

Stretchy wrap!!!!!

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#26 of 28 Old 11-24-2008, 12:40 AM

Hands down a ring sling here. I loved carrying DS all froggied up on my chest. It felt so cozy and right to have him right there against my heart, plus it was super easy to get him down out of it asleep without waking him up. I could nurse in it super easily, and it was super adjustable for when he got bigger and heavier. I also loved that I could get it so snug around him. I never felt like I could get my stretchy wrap tight enough to prevent sagging. Maybe I just didn't know how to use it, but it does seem like an expensive baby carrier to just use for a month or two if your baby gains a good amount of weight.

ETA: A ring sling really needs to not have the padded rails as mentioned above. Also a free tail rather than a sewn one is pretty important too. Both can interfere HUGELY with how adjustable they are. I started with a borrowed unpadded ring sling that was super, then I had a Nojo for a while that I HATED. I then found a Maya wrap ring sling at a consignment shop and I still use it with DS. It is the most fabulous sling. It makes a great changing pad/picnic blanket/extra warm blanket/etc in a pinch too.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#27 of 28 Old 11-24-2008, 02:17 AM

A pouch for sure. They're super simple to use, they're comfy, and they fold up small for quick trips out.
I'm such a spaz, I can never adjust the ring sling right and I get really annoyed trying to tie on a zillion yards of a wrap in the grocery store parking lot. But a sling for newborns and a mei tai for older babes is what works for me.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#28 of 28 Old 11-24-2008, 02:19 AM

Moby.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page