I want to babywear more - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 3 month old boy. At 3 weeks, husband and I took a sling class and bought a Moby. Loved it at first, as did DS. But I didn't wear him all the time. I got really hot in the house, but I did use it to take him outdoors. Now he doesn;t seem to like it unless he's asleep . . . if he's awake he hates being that confined. (You should have seen me trying to vote on election day when he woke up in the middle of voting, and started freaking out, standing up in the sling! I had to hold him with one hand while trying to vote with the other. Yikes! ) So now we've switched to a Baby Bjorn, so he'd be more free to move around a bit. But he seems to not like that for more than 10 minutes or so. I could take another class to see how to use the Moby in different wrap styles to see if there are others that are more freeing.

I want to use the sling more, so I can get more done around the house and such. So, should I just try a few minutes every day when he's in a good mood and been fed and changed, and let him build up to it? Or do some kids just not like the sling? I never tried to bf in the Moby. I don't know how you would do it without suffocating him!

Squishy Press: sustainably-made baby/toddler books. We create healthy books for hungry minds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-25-2008, 04:57 PM

I have several suggestions; my little guy went through a phase where he hated being wrapped in a wrap like a Moby. You might try something like a mei tai (Kozy is a good one), or a ssc (Ergo is a good one of these). I find that my little guy likes the seat and more open-feel of these two carrier. If he likes the Bjorn, you both will be much happier with an Ergo.

Another thing is to try different positions in a carrier. I have heard that around 4-months, babies start to want to see where they are going or at least get a sense of "forward motion", so you might try some hip or back carries. I find my Ergo is good for both of these as well.

I also find that if we start our babywearing outside (put him in, take a quick walk), then I can get some stuff done around the house after the walk because he is a little more mellow. I also usually put a toy on a headband and wear that in my hair for back carries so his little hands have something to do. Good luck, and don't give up!
#3 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 PM

LOVE the toy on a headband idea! I'm going to try that tomorrow, maybe it'll stop him pulling my hair?

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#4 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 11:27 PM

my DS took a while to get used to his carrier also. we had the baby bjorn to start with, which he took to right away, but when he got to about 9-10 months i got a becco. he did get a little fidgety in it at first, but now if it's naptime he'll be out like a light. i wish they had one that they could face out in because i feel like he is still always trying to look behind him. i think a little at a time is the way to do it & constant motion! if i stop walking DS is like come on, let's go!!!!!
#5 of 7 Old 12-02-2008, 12:45 AM

I suggest trying some other carriers. I found the moby to be way too suffocating. Try something more airy than the moby but more comfy for him than the bjorn. A kozy mei tai might work out better for you. You might want to try an outward front carry or a high back carry so he can see.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#6 of 7 Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKickyPants View Post
LOVE the toy on a headband idea! I'm going to try that tomorrow, maybe it'll stop him pulling my hair?
:

DD isn't a fan of the back carry in a MT and insists on pulling hair the entire time. Its almost impossible to get my hair out of her hand.
#7 of 7 Old 12-02-2008, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. It seems for his age his still too young for an out-facing carry, but the Moby can be too confining for him. But the Moby feels much better on my back than the Bjorn by a longshot. I had him in the Moby yesterday for about an hour: made sure he was fed, changed, etc, then I put him in. He didn't like getting his legs up and squished, but once I started walking he was fine, then he passed out cold for most of the trip. Felt great on my back! So it does still work, but only if he's about to go down. Perhaps it will be different when he can face out.

I hesitate to get a MT right now, because I live in a cold climate and winter is coming. But perhaps in the spring.

I just can't imagine being one of those people whp BW their kids all day. Doesn't the baby want to kick around and stretch?

Squishy Press: sustainably-made baby/toddler books. We create healthy books for hungry minds.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page