Does anyone still wear their 2 year old often? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I admit I've pretty much stopped carrying my 2 year old. She just wants to walk or she's too heavy for me. I still have my ring sling and a mei tai. Occasionally, I put her in one or the other but mostly she just sits in the cart in a store and otherwise walks. I miss carrying her I was just wondering if anyone still gets to carry their 2 year old around in stores and such.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 11:31 AM

I carry my 2.5 y/o most of the time. She hates shopping carts and I would rather wear her than listen to her cry and scream. I do ring sling for quick trips and a mei tie or wrap for longer trips. She is a wanderer and does not stay close so letting her walk is not an option I am comfortable with.

Some night I wear her down to sleep. She has just stopped nursing to sleep and I find she can get her cuddle time in and I can still do the stuff that I need to do.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#3 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM

I wore my daughter a lot until she was about 3. She is a petite girl though. I still carry her but she doesn't fit well in my pouches anymore. I miss it too. Thank goodness I have another one due any day now.
#4 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 05:57 PM

I often did just because my boys it. I miss it now

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#5 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 PM

Oh yeah, my 2 yr. old is often on my back in a MT when out. She loves it and I don't have to chase her.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#6 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 PM

I wouldn't say often, but I do wear my 29mo at least a few times a month... usually when we're travelling or on "needy" days where she needs a lot of physical touch and I need to get stuff done! Most of the time she's too independent/active to put up with the mei tai for long!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#7 of 38 Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 PM

I wore the 2yo I watched in a Beco and could still carry his 4yo sister in it. They're petite though so something like an Ergo that doesn't up up so high might be a better bet for some kids.
#8 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've got into wrapping and have been carrying my son in a wrap anytime we go in a store for a long time, i also carry him when we walk to drop my 5yr old off at school in the morning and in the afternoon to pick her up. He's starting to get used to it It's much easier than him throwing a fit and me having to carry him in my arms which makes him seem even heavier than 31lbs.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#9 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 PM

I carried DS#2 in a hip sling when we went out, until he was almost 3. The older kids preferred to walk when they were that age, but DS#2 was a snugglebug, and it made him easier to keep track of in stores and crowded areas.
#10 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM

Once a week I babysit another toddler boy. When I need to run errands and have both boys, I wear my son in the ergo and put the other in the shopping cart seat. My son's still pretty light though, only 25 lbs. at 25 months.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#11 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 PM

My ds will be 2 in feb and I still wear him a few times a week - I have a pouch sling and do a hip carry. Works well at church when I have to keep him from trying to "play" the drums or "tune" someone's guitar! 1/2 hour is about our max, though - he gets sick of it then and wants to run and I'm tired by then, too.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#12 of 38 Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 PM

dd will be 2 in Jan, and i wear her whenever we go out. I used to use the MT all of the time, but mow we just use it whenever she needs to take a nap, otherwise i use my pouch, so its easy and simple to get her in and out whenver she is running around in the store, and i can just leave the sling on, instead of having to take my mt off and carry it around with me.

I am only 5ft and i know i will be wearing dd for a long time to come, i just hope she dosent get as tall as me anytime soon lol!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#13 of 38 Old 12-04-2008, 01:22 PM

I carried my son until he was two, I used a kari-me in the early days which was great and then a adjustable side sling. That was good, because it was very quick in and out!
#14 of 38 Old 12-05-2008, 02:48 PM

I still wear my 31 month old in the ergo

+ + =
#15 of 38 Old 12-05-2008, 02:53 PM

Naked Baby is almost 21 months, and two days ago was the first day in his life he wasn't worn for at least a little while. But yes, we're still wearing him, though much less now; usually just out and about. I anticipate wearing him at least occasionally for another year or two (.
#16 of 38 Old 12-08-2008, 01:17 PM

I wore my son on occasion till recently!! He will be 5 in 2 weeks. We live in NYC, so I have no car and sometimes he just gets tired of all the walking. I usually put him up in a backcarry in a ringsling.
A few weeks ago I had him in my old Beco in a backcarry and it was so lightweight.
Last year I used Mei Tais a lot.
Of course he is walking most of the time but I think I could carry him for a while longer if I really wanted. He weighs 40 lbs.
#17 of 38 Old 12-08-2008, 06:24 PM

I wish she'd let me. I have a bunch of wraps that I wish I could use more but she's miss independant. Thankfully I often babysit a 22 month old boy who LOVES to be worn. I miss the closeness with my own dd though.

Gillian - Wife to an amazing DH, Mother to 5 wonderful kiddos.
#18 of 38 Old 12-11-2008, 03:06 AM

gosh, my son was just too big by 2 1/2. He's consistently been around 90 percentile for weight and height. We did it once in a while when he was 2, like in airports or for portions of hikes or whatever. But once he hit about 30lbs it just was too exhausting for me. He's just turned 4 and is a great walker, can go long distances at a good pace. I enjoy wearing younger friends, and I look forward to wearing the new baby on the way, but I don't think I'm going to have kids who are the right size to be worn past toddlerhood!

dissertating mom to three

#19 of 38 Old 12-11-2008, 03:09 AM

I've worn my friend's daughter, who's almost 3 and about 35 pounds. It really depends on the wearer and the carrier -- my friend can't wear her any more because of her back, and I probably wouldn't in a mei tai anymore, but I'm happy to do it in my toddler SSC.
#20 of 38 Old 12-11-2008, 03:35 AM

My youngest has associated being worn with going to sleep, so she flat out refuses. She wants to sleep in a bed, thank you very much. But yes, I do miss wearing her.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#21 of 38 Old 12-11-2008, 03:45 AM

I wish my 20 month old would let me carry her in the store. She mostly wants to ride in the cart or wobble around like a crazy person. She will go get my sling and tell me "In! In!" and that's always nice, but she's so big now I can't carry her for very long. I'll miss it when I really can't wear her anymore.
#22 of 38 Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Banned

I wear my 18 month old more frequently than I thought I would.

She rides in the carts at the grocery store or any place that has a cart available. But I wear her when I go walking, I wear her when I am shopping in stores that can be crowded--Barnes & Noble, etc...I also wear her when I'm cleaning the house.
#23 of 38 Old 12-13-2008, 12:56 AM

I still wear my 2 1/2 yr old sometimes. I go out a lot of places on my own with my boys on public transport as well, so often have a pram and a sling, and we rotate around. They take turns in the sling and pram and sometimes I have no-one in the pram as DS1 walks and DS2 is in the sling and the pram carries our bags. It depends on their needs that day. Majority of the time it will be my little one in the sling but some days DS1 needs extra Mummy time and DS2 is happy in the pram for a little while.

It's getting harder now though as DS2 is getting very familiar with my sling and will bounce up and down excitedly when he sees me get it out, and will be quite dissapointed if he isnt the one being worn, so DS1 is being worn less. He still loves it though.
#24 of 38 Old 12-16-2008, 07:07 PM

I wear my 30lb, 26 month old on my back in an Ergo or Toddler Patapum several times a week. We don't have a car and it works really well we need to walk places and don't have the time to sight see (which is how it is when she walks). She usually rides on my back to wherever we are going and walks home. She won't stay in it in the store though - too much to look at and touch and get in trouble with!!!

Tracy

2 Rainbow babes, PPH/Hysterectomy survivor!
#25 of 38 Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 PM

I pretty much just use my arm to carry my 2 year old on my hip these days.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#26 of 38 Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 PM

I do carry my soon-to-be 2 year old quite often, but we have a Beco Butterfly, and I'm not sure I would be able to do it as often in a carrier that didn't distribute his weight so evenly. We use it for hiking and at the Farmer's Market - MUCH easier than a stroller! He likes shopping carts so we use them in stores. Most of the comments we get are really supportive, once in a while someone will say something about how big he is or that he must be heavy or something like that. I just say, "It beats a leash."

Thankful to be a play-at-home-Mommee to my "cage-free" little monkeys, Sam, (1/21/07) and Jonas (8/17/09), a Wifee to my best friend, James, and excited to welcome our first girl-baby this summer. ***Families Are Forever!***

#27 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 AM

My youngest is almost 21 months and still loves to be worn pretty much every day (see my siggy pic) - usually on front! he likes to cuddle

I don't wear him for long periods of time though unless he falls asleep or I'm trying to get stuff done and he's content. With four little ones sometimes it's easier to have him strapped onto me and I know he's not getting into trouble.

He often brings me a carrier (he's partial to a wrap or mei-tai but we use SSC exclusively while out an about) he say's mama, me! up up! So funny, how could I say no to that. And as long as I get the carrier tight enough and positioned right it is comfy. He's about 25 lbs.

Also, grocery shopping and other errands he usually is on my back so my hands are free to grab stuff. My 3.5 yr old rides in the front of the cart and the two older ones walk so it's the easiest way to go to the store.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#28 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 12:54 AM

My 4 yo asked to be carried while I vacuumed the other day. She can squeeze into the hotslings but the ergo is much more comfortable. That is what I usually put her in.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#29 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 12:54 AM

My 2.5 yr old loves to be worn when he is tired or unhappy. Sometimes he brings me the maya wrap and asks to be slung. : Usually only around the house, though I do take the wrap shopping sometimes.

I had to wean him sooner than I wanted to due to a hospitalization (mine) and I love that he can get mommy comfort through being worn still.
#30 of 38 Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 AM

My nearly 21 month old gets worn about once a day. I always have my Patapum in the car, and swing him around to my back when we go into most stores. I occasionally let him ride in a cart, but he tends to get grabby in the cart, and he wanders off if he is walking, so he rides most of the time. He really likes it, and only weighs about 25 pounds, so I can do it for pretty long amounts of time.

I actually just altered my Patapum to make it have a longer body so he will fit better. His torso was getting so long that he actually flipped backward and was hanging by his thighs once when I was trying to get him onto my back. Super scary for both of us. With the longer body, he fits snug as a bug in a rug back there.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page