Mothering Forum banner

Back carry advice...

614 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Quirky 
#1 ·
I have the Ergo. And I need an easy way to get DS on my back...I've seen the video clip on the website (which makes it look SO easy) but that freaks me out! Don't feel brave enough for sure!
Any easier way, that I can do on my own?

See less See more
#4 ·
You can also do it the standing up way on or near a bed so that worst case scenario (which won't really happen) your lo will fall on the bed. I admit I dropped my dd once when I was first learning and I felt like the worst mommy in the world but she was fine and I never did it again. It looks like your lo is over a year which should make it a lot easier and less scary in case of an accident especially over a bed or on a chair. It is nice to be able to do it anywhere for when you are out. I do in the grocery store parking lot all the time.

#5 ·
I do it the hip scootch method, which is what I think Ergo shows. When you put their first foot through, hold onto that ankle. Do not let go until you are sure they are secure in the carrier. This way you always have a secure hold on your child. It really is SOOO easy - once you've done it a couple times.

#6 ·
I have a Beco, but they are pretty much the same design, so...

when DS was smaller, I sat him in the carrier on the front and then scooched him under my arm around to my back, keeping a hand on his back/butt.

Now I fling him over my shoulder--it's fun! I was so freaked to do it, but I practiced a lot over the bed or with my husband spotting me. And DS has learned how to do it now--when I fling him over he kind of holds onto my back until the carrier is there. You may find if you practice a few times with your LO, he gets a hang of it and helps you out!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post
I have a Beco, but they are pretty much the same design, so...

when DS was smaller, I sat him in the carrier on the front and then scooched him under my arm around to my back, keeping a hand on his back/butt.

Now I fling him over my shoulder--it's fun! I was so freaked to do it, but I practiced a lot over the bed or with my husband spotting me. And DS has learned how to do it now--when I fling him over he kind of holds onto my back until the carrier is there. You may find if you practice a few times with your LO, he gets a hang of it and helps you out!
how old was he when you started flinging??

#8 ·
DS was about 6 mos when we started "flinging." I would face him away from me and say, "SuperBaby!" then toss him over my shoulder/head.

I miss carrying him SOOOO much. Reading this thread is making me cry. I herniated a disc, and I can barely pick him up, let alone put him in the Ergo anymore.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
My advice would be to not be freaked out and just do it. It really is as easy as it looks. I wish I hadn't been so nervous about it and tried sooner than I did.
Yep, just keep practicing!! With a spotter or over the bed / chair until you're confident.

Also, if there is a babywearing group near you, check it out. I didn't feel 100% confident until I had some hands-on help!

#10 ·
ARGH. Well I gave it a few good goes. And I could NOT reach DS foot. What is wrong with me? I have short arms, and am on the chubbier side, which doesn't help. I think I'm going to try putting him on the front then holding the straps up above his head and scooting him round. Would this work?

#12 ·
Super baby!
That image just cracked me up. I have a Beco as well. DS (7 months) loves when I slip my hands back in there to make sure his bum is centered- must tickle or something, he cracks up.
I hope OP gets in- I have to say, carrying him in the back carry saved my sanity! I couldn't get anything done around the house until I got the Beco and started the back carry.

#13 ·
Practice over a couch or a bed, in front of a mirror -- it's like riding a bike, you just have to learn the physical movements and then it will seem so easy!

You can definitely try putting the carrier around his body on your front and then scooting the whole thing around. But before you try anything with the carrier, I'd just practice doing piggy back rides with him -- get comfortable getting him on and off your back, whether it's via hip scoot, or super baby (facing him away from you, putting your hands under his armpits, and throwing him up and over your shoulder), or some other way. The more you get comfy getting him on and off your back, the easier it will be to do back carries with any carrier. Just always keep a good grip on some part of his body -- whether his back, bum, or legs -- and realize you're not going to let him fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.