Making progress after a rough start. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only tend to post when I'm having a total meltdown, as evidenced by my previous post titled "Feel like a total babywearing failure."

But we're actually making progress, and I just wanted to give a shoutout to other parents on this board who are working to find out what works for them and their little ones.

While pregnant I had total utopian dreams of being this tranquil babywearing duo and going everywhere with baby, showing him the world. When he was born it was a different story. I started trying to wear him when he was 6 days old. He would sleep in a carrier, but awake - forget about it. He would arch and scream and struggle till I pulled him out. I tried various styles and did all the bouncing, walking, rocking, etc. recommended. But if it didn't knock him out, it just made him mad. He wanted to be in arms, but seemed to hate the feeling of being enclosed or having his motion limited by a carrier.

It was hard work for ME to accept that he wasn't the way I had expected or hoped. I felt so rejected and I felt like we were missing out on stuff - but the whole point of the philosophy is to work with the kid and listen to their signals, right?

Now he's 4 months old, and we've kept practicing. And I think his attention span is getting a little longer and the world is becoming more interesting - running water, dishes banging, cats walking around. And we're starting to have times when he can be in a carrier awake and looking around, doing activities around the house, and I am so thrilled. I am totally selfishly loving that he is starting to enjoy just being toted around and participating in whatever mundane thing I am doing. Sometimes he'll sit on my back in a rebozo, or on my front, especially when we go out of the house, in a stretchy wrap.

I'm humbled by my kid, and if he still hated being worn, or if he starts rejecting it again, I'll adjust. But at least for now I guess I just had to wait until he was ready. It's hard for me to be patient, and also to remember that I didn't grow up using these types of carriers and there's a learning curve for both parent and baby involved. So for everyone on this board who is struggling with it - I hear you, and be gentle with yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good for you for listening to your baby and trying to respect his needs, and for hanging in there with the babywearing!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page