"We should get one of those for the dog." - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 02-28-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A dad said this to his son after seeing DS in the mei tie today.

What crazy babywearing comments have you experienced/heard lately?

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#2 of 39 Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 AM

People usually either say dd looks very comfortable or they wish they could be carried around like that or they wish that carriers like that were available when their kids were young.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#3 of 39 Old 03-01-2009, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love when people say they wish they had thought of that - like somehow I'm the first woman to do it!

My absolute favourite comment ever was a little girl said to her mom "There's a baby in a bag!!"

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 39 Old 03-01-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammysue View Post
A dad said this to his son after seeing DS in the mei tie today.

What crazy babywearing comments have you experienced/heard lately?
I saw a dog in a carrier at the boardwalk. It was really strange-looking.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#5 of 39 Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 AM

I'm ashamed to say my sister has a carrier for her dog... and she didn't buy it from me either . I've had people ask me if I was carrying a dog/doll if there ??? and had all kinds of requests for rides... Oh yes and the verbal assualt at the grocery store about how my baby was going to grow crooked... Honestly, I've gotten way more babywearing hostility than I ever do breastfeeding hostility.

But usually, people think it's cute, that's he's comfy and as he gets bigger, occassionally worry that he's too heavy (to which I respond, this is nothing compared to trying to carry him up the stairs in a stroller ). Worn babies have a huge advantage in that they are at eye level and who can resist them?

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#6 of 39 Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 AM

Isn't he hot in that thing?
Don't you think I would notice if we were hot, since he's right up against my body?

I wish they had those when my kids were little!
Yeah, I wonder what women did before baby slings were first invented...thousands of years ago!

Oh, can't you take him out so I can hold him?
No way, that's what I like best about having him in here...no strangers pawing at my baby!

Doesn't that hurt your back?
Actually, the baby weighs exactly the same whether he's in my arms or on my back.

Cindy, part-time family doc, full-time Mommy to Jared (2/04) and Connor (2/08) :
#7 of 39 Old 03-01-2009, 11:32 AM

the one I got yesterday, lady turns to her husband "see, I *told* you she had a baby in there" and then she told me how her daughter used a pouch with her baby.
#8 of 39 Old 03-01-2009, 04:11 PM

My husband' cousin, She said , She can't wear her because, She's not strong enough. Common' She's almost 6' tall and no skinnier one and his baby is 22 lb at 11 mo....
Yeah!! I'm not athletic at all. I'm 5'4" tall and 137 pounds and I wore my DD until past her second birthday with 31 lbs.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#9 of 39 Old 03-01-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche28 View Post
I'm ashamed to say my sister has a carrier for her dog...
mine does, too!

She made a wrap to take their new puppy on hikes : She thought of it when she saw my youngest in a pouch sling on my hip during her wedding, which was right after they got their dog.

As for comments, lately I haven't really gotten any but I do get some odd stares at the grocery store and Target. Maybe it's cause my kid is getting so big, I dunno.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 12:38 PM

I literally stopped traffic putting dd into a back carry in our mei tai. That was pretty funny.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#11 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM

I find it weird people are still so blown away by babywearing. I mean, even Angelina Jolie uses a baby bjorn at least.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#12 of 39 Old 03-02-2009, 02:14 PM

I sold a sling to a woman for her dog!

She was a bit loopy, but her check cleared.
#13 of 39 Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 AM

I have actually seen a woman with a dog in a mei tai type carrier on the beach! The poor dog

A stupid comment that I got from a woman yesterday... Are you sure that she is safe in there? She was in my mt and I had her on by back with my suses kindercoat. I tolder that she was safer where she was than her baby was in his stroller.
#14 of 39 Old 03-03-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I love when people say they wish they had thought of that - like somehow I'm the first woman to do it!

My absolute favourite comment ever was a little girl said to her mom "There's a baby in a bag!!"

I heard that comment too when my DS was a baby lol

Mothering a beautiful boy

#15 of 39 Old 03-03-2009, 06:45 PM

A lot of people assumed my husband had a doll in his hotsling.

Yes. My long-haired, bearded, bleary-eyed thirtysomething husband was carrying a doll in a sling.

(They thought that when he had sleepy newborn DS swaddled up in arms, too.)

You know, if DH looked like a high school student, I suppose I could understand it. He does not look like a teenager, however, so I'll just have to shrug.

I've known quite a few folks who rigged slings for their wee pups. I thought it was cute when a saleswoman we know was so enamored of our slings that she fashioned her own from a scarf. And then she kept her mini dachshund puppy close to her heart. So adorable and wee dogs need love and comfort, too!

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#16 of 39 Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM

i know i'm a little outhere, but i actually want to try wearing my dog in my ergo! he's just too hyper.:
#17 of 39 Old 03-04-2009, 02:42 AM

My mother not only wanted a "snuggli" for her dog but dismissed everything i said about the sling style dog carriers being more comfortable because she "didn't want a sling, i want a SNUGGLI!"

If she bought one, she found out how uncomfortable it was and never mentioned it again.

As ridiculous as it felt at the time, dd and i have talked about wearing our cats in ds's outgrown pouch slings around the house. I think they'd both enjoy it (especially Tacy, who is quite elderly) and it might be kind of nice for me when ds is too old to want to be worn.

I'd die if anyone ever saw me "catwearing", thouigh.

I haven't gotten any fun or unusual comments lately, just the usual "Isn't he getting too big for that?" "Can't you afford a stroller?" "Doesn't he know how to walk yet?" crapola that all one year olds get
#18 of 39 Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I hear people complain about the "I wish they had those when my kids were little" thing a lot here on MDC, but I understand what those people mean when they say that. The internet wasn't around, so you couldn't easily find out about and order such a wide variety of wraps/slings back then -- you had to either already know about them or see someone with one to learn about it, and then figure out how to buy or make one, figure out how to use it, etc. It definitely wasn't as easy for an average person to get their hands on one and learn about it before the internet came along to connect people.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#19 of 39 Old 03-05-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSoulMama View Post
I heard that comment too when my DS was a baby lol

Recently I had a comment that was more of an amusing insult than a babywearing comment really but it made me laugh. I was wearing DS on my back with a winter coat over both of us and as he's 2 1/2 he's pretty big and his feet come below my bottom so I look pretty wide in the coat. I was walking down the street and heard someone at an upstairs window say "chunky monkey..... oh it's a baby".
LOL My dd was sleeping rucked in her storch. I had a zip up hoodie over the both of us and after she fell asleep I pulled the hood over her head. I was walking down a busy street and someone shouted 'baby got back' and my dd woke up and popped her head out of the hood. My friend shouted out 'baby got piggy-back!" The look on the dudes face was soo funny.

Sugaree hippie mama: to one perfect daughter 9/07: one money-pit:
We : we share a:Right now we are: :
#20 of 39 Old 03-06-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormom View Post
Isn't he hot in that thing?
Don't you think I would notice if we were hot, since he's right up against my body?
Yes, and "isn't he going to freeze like that" when I dress my sling babe cooler than I would a stroller babe.

Frequently "can he breathe in there?", "is that a doll or a baby?", and few days ago "are you sure he's comfy in that.... ...basket???"

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#21 of 39 Old 03-06-2009, 07:24 AM

Oh, and of course "doesn't your back hurt?"

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#22 of 39 Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 PM

Ha ha. I work with adults who have developmental disorders and our center has a craft shop that teaches the individuals to sew various items. About a yera ago I suggested they make some simple baby slings. I brought mine in to show them and got them a couple of patterns. The only one they ever made was literally for someone's dog!

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#23 of 39 Old 03-06-2009, 05:00 PM

I suppose the weirdest comment I got was when somebody was complimenting my Maya Wrap for my oldest baby. She said "Oh look! its got a pocket to keep bottles in too!"

I was a bit taken aback and said "Yeah, I guess you could do that, I've never given her a bottle"

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#24 of 39 Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 PM

When DS out grew his sling we kept it for our dog. shrug the dog loves it
She also rides in the diaper bag
#25 of 39 Old 03-06-2009, 11:00 PM

Actually I have to admit slinging one of the cats...

She is a very needy one.
Last time I can remember is when we came back from vacation and she would not let us unpack. So I stuck her in the sling and she stayed happily there for at least two hours while I was doing my stuff...

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#26 of 39 Old 03-08-2009, 10:19 PM

I love the funny comments! I've thought about wearing my dog, I think she'd like it!

Someone this morning at church said to me, "Oh, you don't have her all wrapped up today." I get the worst comments at church, actually, and TRY (with varying degrees of success) not to let it bug me. I said something like, "yeah, once in awhile I let her out." I couldn't help it.

One of my church friends saw me wearing dd at the grocery store, and told me I'd need a blanket for her when I send her to kindergarten. She said it with love, though, and it was funny. (I've shared this before here.)

The most annoying comment to me is how I should have her facing forward. I finally mentioned to someone that when you CARRY a baby in your arms, you don't have them facing completely forward! That got a good laugh.

I got the one about her being cold a lot when she was little, too. Very annoying. Someone was telling a group of people how my baby was BLUE the last time she saw me with her. I guess she's never heard of body heat!

I think the ones where people think someone is carrying a doll is hilarious! Especially a man carrying a doll in a sling!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#27 of 39 Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 PM

I have to admit, i wore our new puppy in a pouch the other day to pick up my dd from her preschool.....DD was not very happy about it! LOL!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#28 of 39 Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Oh, and of course "doesn't your back hurt?"

Yeah i got that the other day. Some lady was like "oh my gosh! Her back has to hurt so badly!"

UGH!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#29 of 39 Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Haha, I tried carrying our cat in a sling once, but she wasn't too fond of it!

The stupidest comment I've heard was this.
I was in a queue in a shop and two old ladies were in front of me. They saw dd in the carrier and went "oh, what a sweet baby" so I smiled but then one of them started going on about how it's much better to have baby in a pram with a bunch of blankets over it because that way they can be warm enough.
Ok it was a very cold, freezing day, but I'm 100% sure dd was warm enough! Hello, she probably wouldn't have been sleeping peacefully up against my chest otherwise
I said to the lady that I was sure she was fine, snuggled up against me, and the lady said: "oh, but that's like sitting in front of a fireplace: your front is hot but your back is absolutely freezing!!"
?! um ok. Usually when I sit in front of a fireplace, I'm nice and toasty all over. But I guess that's just me.

Oh and I have (had, she's grown out if it, boohoo) this cute little bear outfit for dd which was perfect for the cold winter we had (pic), and more than once, someone said "oh, it's a baby!! I thought you really had a little bear in there!!"
Hello, who in their right mind would walk around with a LIVE BEAR strapped against their body

Mommy to DD bouncy.gif born August 2008 

#30 of 39 Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 AM

You two are ADORABLE Leisha!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page