Best SSC for me? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm determined to get a SSC for the next babe and am already obsessively researching. Problem is, I can't figure out which would be best! I need some mommas with experience...

Here's what matters:
- I want one that will work from newborn on up to when they get sick of me carrying them around!
- I'm 5"2 and I've got pretty small shoulders. I've tried an Ergo on and it felt way too big for my shoulders.
- My DH is 6"2 and I want him to be able to use it as well.
- I'm on a budget! I can't afford to drop well over $100 for this, as much as I wish I could.
- Despite the fact that I'm poor...I'd like it to look nice! I'm just not a solid black print kind of girl.

I have looked around on thebabywearer.com and honestly, it gave me a headache. Maybe when I know what I want I can search on the FSOT, but for now it just overwhelms me. I need to narrow down what will work for us! Any nudges in the right direction would be appreciated

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
You've posted this in Babywearing Reviews which is a forum for members to post reviews. Your post belongs in the Babywearing form where discussion posts are hosted. I'll move it there.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:46 AM

Butterfly (Beco) and Pikkolo may be your best bet.
Both can take you from newborn to toddler stage.
you may want to do a search on the FSOT on TBW for them.

Now, to narrow it down a bit, how experienced are you as an babywearer? Are you going to back carry? Is it important for you to be able to pass the baby to another wearer (i.e. your dh) without having to remove the baby from the carrier?
Old 03-28-2009, 04:46 AM

Also, do you care if it has buckes/clips or do you prefer it to tie?

I have a Beco 4th Generation. I have a small build and so long as I have the chest clip done, I've never had had problems with it slipping off my shoulders. (That may be a thing for you for any SCC) IMO, the butterfly is really fussy. I have never had the need to pass the baby off while wearing and I'm really confident getting a kid on my back, so the extra buckles are just a bother to me, I can totally see their appeal to others though. The 4th gen you can probably find a lot cheaper since they've been around longer. My 6'2" 300#+ DH has been able to use the Beco without even a waist extender (though he probalby would have been more comfortable with one!)

Another really pretty option in the same style as the Beco is the Connecta.

User Tag List