Why i "need" a pushchair (apparently) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 10-17-2009, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a stroller, a sit stand to be exact. When my DD was smaller she would sit in the front, my "equipment" would go in the "stand" part and DS would be on my person. Now that I am PG with #3 I anticipate DS in the sit, DD in the stand and NB on mommy. Stroller is great for all your stuff and I think it is the best shopping cart ever!!

~Marla~
CoSleeping, BabyWearing, Breastfeeding, PT Cding

🐢🐢A new little turtle is about to join our crazy part of the ocean!!!🐢🐢
lactivist.gif
#32 of 46 Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kierenm View Post
IThere are some good reasons to consider owning a pram though, especially when your baby is very new, with little ability to support their own weight and delicate bones it's often a safer bet having them well supported and secure in the lay-flat position of a pram.
It's quite safe for a newborn to be carried in a suitably supportive sling or carrier. The right carrier, used correctly, won't do any harm to their bones and they won't be supporting their own weight.

We don't intend to buy a pram/stroller before our LO is born although we are keeping an open mind about the future. Especially if we have a toddler and a newborn. Ideally though I'd prefer to do without altogether.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#33 of 46 Old 10-19-2009, 04:12 AM

We've had several different strollers. At certain times they have been useful. There is usually a period where they are too heavy for *me* to be happy wearing for long periods, but they still get tired, or a little too adventurous in unsafe places. My almost 3 yr old enjoys the novelty of riding in a stroller. Don't discount them completely. They are a tool like anything else. But don't let her spend a lot of money on something you will use infrequently, if ever!!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#34 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am thinking about this exact thing right now. Pregnant with my first. And wihle I have done a fair amount of caring for other people's kids, I don't know much of what to expect for my own. I think I plan to wear him or her a lot- but I also love the look of english prams. I am really into one in particular that is so pretty, but expensive. IA m wondering if I buy it if I will just never use it and it will be a waste! or also if it is too heavy and bulky. I like the prams where the baby can lie down because it seems to be a more comfortable way for them to sleep. I know I don't like seeing little ones asleep in sit up strollers. I am not sure about them falling asleep in an upright position, while being in a sling, with their necks askew. the neck part doesn't look so comfortable. I like that a pram is like a portable bed. We are going to co sleep in our bed with our baby. But I like the idea of having a pram for daytime naps in which I can take baby for a walk and get them used to falling asleep, and then park them next to the garden for their nap while I work in the garden.
I just don't really know if I will actually use it or not if I get it, and also if the pretty but big heavy one would be too much trouble and if would be better to go with the smaller sportier ones. I like the idea of wearing baby a lot, but maybe not all the time so as to give my back a rest. I will see what feels best at the time I guess.
#35 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 01:04 AM

With my first I am sure other then using it for walks for my exercise when she was 18 months or so I could have done without one. With subsequent children they can be a wonderful thing at times. It just depends on the situation and how things go. Hauling 3 kids and gear to the park it can be great to have that stroller to put things in the basket. I also found them to be very helpful when I had little people that wanted to walk to get big sister from school, but didn't trust them to get across very busy streets quick enough.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#36 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
DH and I always get a laugh out of parents struggling with their strollers or bucket seats with a baby who would rather be carried or off paved areas. Most people just can't shift their paradigm away from these norms no matter what makes more sense. We never bought a stroller and never regretted it.
On the flip side, I wonder how many people have laughed at me struggling to help a toddler in the bathroom or with shoes (or tying my own shoes, for that matter) or awkwardly bending over to zip a toddler coat with a baby strapped to me? Or trying to bend around a baby on my front to collect the contents of a spilled diaper bag or reach something on a low shelf or trying needing to sit on the ground briefly for something and struggle awkwardly to my feet with a baby keeping me from moving the way I do?

It must look pretty funny, and I am afraid it's not a good advertisement for babywearing. I personally find anything that involves prolonged bending or reaching something low/on the floor to be a bit awkward while babywearing. It is much better with baby old enough that I feel comfortable with him on my back, but still a bit awkward. And sometimes uncomfortable.

Don't get me wrong, I love it for the most part. And I love how portable it is, I never find myself in want of a sling because I always have at least one or two along with me. On the other hand, strollers aren't so easy to drag along, but OMG there have been times when I've desperately wished I had brought one with me just to have a safe place to put baby for a minute while I dealt with something. And indeed there have been times when worn my baby and pushed an empty stroller just in case I found myself in need of it either for him or for a currently walking toddler.. LOL.
#37 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 04:13 AM

I don't have a car so I use mine several times a week to push my groceries home while I wear my 11 month old.

It does get use when the kids I babysit go to the park with me though. I wear my daughter, push the two year old because she cannot walk the entire 2 miles, and the 3 year old walks. That is the only time it is used for it's intended purpose.

Jenn- Geeky momma to one fabulous Tiny Diva (10/27/08)
#38 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I am thinking about this exact thing right now. Pregnant with my first. And wihle I have done a fair amount of caring for other people's kids, I don't know much of what to expect for my own. I think I plan to wear him or her a lot- but I also love the look of english prams. I am really into one in particular that is so pretty, but expensive. IA m wondering if I buy it if I will just never use it and it will be a waste! or also if it is too heavy and bulky. I like the prams where the baby can lie down because it seems to be a more comfortable way for them to sleep. I know I don't like seeing little ones asleep in sit up strollers. I am not sure about them falling asleep in an upright position, while being in a sling, with their necks askew. the neck part doesn't look so comfortable. I like that a pram is like a portable bed. We are going to co sleep in our bed with our baby. But I like the idea of having a pram for daytime naps in which I can take baby for a walk and get them used to falling asleep, and then park them next to the garden for their nap while I work in the garden.
I just don't really know if I will actually use it or not if I get it, and also if the pretty but big heavy one would be too much trouble and if would be better to go with the smaller sportier ones. I like the idea of wearing baby a lot, but maybe not all the time so as to give my back a rest. I will see what feels best at the time I guess.
Yoú may also need to take into account what your baby prefers. I thought I was going to only use slings and carriers - as a newborn DD hated them, but liked to go to sleep in a push chair (we had a Mountain buggy, which folds down almost flat. A pram can usually only be used until baby pulls up and wants to sit and watch, in DD's case around 6 weeks). Reflux babies, and others may just prefer to be upright. DD hated the craddle hold, especially to go to sleep, she wanted to be upright whenever she wasn't latched on.

She certainly didn't "get used to falling asleep" in the push chair. The constant movement helped her settle(if put in there at exactly the right time). Until she stopped going to sleep in the push chair at all at 8 months. Period.

I planned to get DD used to sleeping in a moses basket in the daytime - so she could sleep near me at all times. She slept there twice, in the first 6 weeks, both times put down there when entirely out (which didn't actually work very often even then).

I used to be a nanny myself, so I thought I knew what to expect. DD taught me how wrong I was!
#39 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 AM

Yeah, of course I don't know what temperament my little one will be I like the idea of having the option of carrying/ wearing and the pram. I am a big walker- I like to take long walks in the ocuntry with my dogs just about every day. So I think a pram or good stroller could be useful for that. Anyway- glad there are many options!
#40 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 11:50 AM

If you are happy carrying your baby, then I don't see why you would need a stroller either. I may get one after the babe is here, but right now I only have a stroller for when she is older (simple umbrella stroller) and plan to wear/carry her until then. I don't have anything against strollers (ok maybe the really bulky ones seem a tad ridiculous to me ), so if I end up wanting one that is more suitable for a newborn, I'll get one.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#41 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
On the flip side, I wonder how many people have laughed at me struggling to help a toddler in the bathroom or with shoes (or tying my own shoes, for that matter) .
Ah yes, my favorite memories of babywearing. Helping a toddler and a preschooler in a public bathroom stall with a 4 month old 20 pounder in the Maya wrap screaming his head off because I wasn't standing straight up. Or trying to pee myself while holding on to the 22-month-old and the 3 yo. I could have definitely used a double stroller at that point, if I'd been able to muster up the energy to make a trip to buy one.

Mommy to kids

#42 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 01:04 PM

I like my stroller for mall crawling : especially in the winter.

Malls are so hot it is a nice place to put our coats and the diaper bag and my purse and our drinks...while baby was being worn.

I see it as a handy dandy shopping cart. Plus I usually would lay the baby in the stroller for diaper changes...goddness only knows what sort of germs are on those changing stations. EWWWW

What always cracks me up is when I see 2 parents grocery shopping...one pushing baby in the travel system the other pushing the cart...seems like a HUGE pitb to have to load up the groceries and the stroller at the end of a shopping trip. Or when I see people carting the bucket seat around the mall. Them things are HEAVY...why not just carry the baby if you're going to be carrying something?

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#43 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 PM

bet you have fun laughing at us grocery shopping then. we don't have a car, & we can't carry all our groceries for the week & our toddler home. so we take the stroller, & can load some of the groceries on there, & carry the rest between us while pushing her. hilarious! more fools us!
#44 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 PM

I guess everyone might want to stop laughing at everyone else and just know we all do our best (lol)
#45 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Oh the looks I get when I wear baby going into the bathroom by myself! I know some think it's unsanitary to pee with babe in wrap...but I don't touch her or carrier till I"m washed and it's better to have her close to me not touching anything else in the bathroom. And I espeically don't wake a sleeping baby...even if the mom has to pee LOL! Though I DID NOT like doing it in a porta potty...will pass her off to someone else next time!!!!

I have 2 strollers, one is easly compacted into the car but more for older babies, one that came with the travel system car seat which we used ALOT for DD1 as I did not babywear. DD2 does NOT like the bucket seat so we changed to convertible carseat at 2mo and I babywear most everywhere anyway. But I do still carry that stroller in the car. It's great for zoo trips, long shopping days...when babe may just want to lay away from me (more in the heat), or for changing diapers, carryin our "stuff" or giving DD1 a ride when she's tired.

I have 5 babywearing devices, Ergo (just got!) Mya sling, Moby wrap, Wombfruit wrap (for hot weather) and MT. They each have their own purpose and I generally have at least 2 types in the car and one in the diaper backpack.

So use what you think is best...I think you'll be glad you have options. I"m glad I'm able to have a little bit of everything for different situations
#46 of 46 Old 10-20-2009, 04:29 PM

I babywear everywhere and own 5 different carriers, but we have a stroller (one of the BIG graco ones some people apparently like to laugh at because I liked its stability, true one hand fold/unfold, ability to lie completely flat, 3 different reclines, large basket, and 2 cupholders). Up until NOW I only used the stroller for neighborhood walks, but on our Saturdays out (usually all day) DD would get SO fussy and just scream and scream. She's reached an age where she wants to see everything and won't sleep when she's sleepy. Plus I was worried about sun, and there's no real hat solution that will work for her at this age. She is MISERABLE when the sun is in her eyes.

So at the Renaissance Festival last weekend we took the stroller. *sigh* But it was wonderful. She could sit up and see everything, but when she started rubbing her eyes we could lay her flat and pull the giant shade down to block her view and she took all her normal naps. Plus everyone in our group used the giant basket underneath so they didn't have to carry stuff.

I still wish we could have worn her, but the stroller made the whole day so much better. I guess everything has a place. I would never tell a family they had to have one though - that is so ridiculous!

And as for sleeping babies in carriers - if you have a wrap, you can just turn their head sideways and tuck it in - baby is completely supported.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...g?t=1256067072

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page