Why i "need" a pushchair (apparently) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2009, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mum keeps going on about me getting caden into a pram, saying how i need a pram because quote other people use prams : and i can't carry him round forever, we yes wasn't planning on doing that he will walk at some point, but not yet he's only 1.
does anyone else get this too?

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
DH and I always get a laugh out of parents struggling with their strollers or bucket seats with a baby who would rather be carried or off paved areas. Most people just can't shift their paradigm away from these norms no matter what makes more sense. We never bought a stroller and never regretted it.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:18 PM

My mom was really, really invested in me having a stroller. She brought 4, count them, 4 strollers to my house (2 new and 2 used) after being told No Thanks.

I really don't have any idea what was motivating her but it was ridiculous.

I don't have anything against people who use them, but I agree with the PP; while other moms were struggling with their strollers and lugging around about a year's worth of supplies in them, DH and I would just be breezing by with DD in her Ergo (or just plain being carried).

DD is 3.5 years old now and we still don't ever have a time where we think, gee, I wish we had a stroller.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 PM

I don't have a kid yet but I don't plan on buying a stroller. I see way too much of the hassle strollers are - you can't fit them anywhere, there's stairs all over the place, they pick up all the slush and muck from the road, and they're just darn annoying to push around everywhere. Why would I put my baby in a cart? It makes no sense to me, personally.
I also see too often a scene where a parent is trying to force an unwilling, screaming toddler into a stroller... Not for me thanks. I'd rather walk slow.
That said, I just bet I'll end up buying a stroller after all

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:28 AM

My dad keeps saying I need to use our stroller for when I walk the dog, which is kind of valid. He's scared the dog is going to trip me (he's nuts and runs all over like a psycho) and I'll fall with Peanut strapped to me. His way of thinking is that if she's in the stroller she won't fall, which would be true unless the dog gets wrapped in the stroller and knocks that over. That being said my child will never fall asleep in a wrap, but will pass out within 5 minutes in a stroller. When she won't sleep at all and it's starting to drive me nuts is one of the only times I use mine. The other time is clothes shopping b/c I refuse to put her on a dressing room floor. I don't think anyone needs a stroller if they're comfortable with babywearing.

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 03-20-2009, 01:39 PM

My father insisted on buying me a stroller after finding out that I didn't own one. He thought we didn't have one because we couldn't afford it! I never broke it to him that my carriers were worth three times what he spent on the stroller.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 03-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Crystal_R, I agree with you about the clothes shopping! I use my pushchair about once every two months when I REALLY need some new clothes (cos I'm still losing weight from pregnancy). And I come back so stressed from the trip because DD is probably crying and just wants to be carried Then I refuse to use it for another 2 months.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 AM

I tend to agree that prams and pushchairs aren't necessary for everyone, and to some parents they've become a bit of a fashion or status statement which is silly. There are some good reasons to consider owning a pram though, especially when your baby is very new, with little ability to support their own weight and delicate bones it's often a safer bet having them well supported and secure in the lay-flat position of a pram.
Each parent is different though, and each mother and father really should be respected for their own private decision on these sorts of things I think (so long as there are no serious dangers involved) ..so yea, your mum shouldn't particularly be "forcing" this kind of stuff on you.

If you're interested visit the new blog about Prams/Pushchairs which helps parents decide whether they should have a pram or pushchair and make the most positive decision when searching through the countless pushchair choices available online.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 PM

Well I use both... because wearing two babies is no fun and dealing with a double stroller is also not fun... so I tend to wear one and push one. But even when I had a singleton I would find strollers good for some things and carriers nice for other things.

Personally there's no way I'd want to go through raising a baby with no stroller at all but different strokes for different folks right?

If you haven't felt its lack then no you don't need one.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 05-15-2009, 07:10 PM

I said I would never use a stroller, but then my DS started waking up and getting REALLY angry when I took him out of the car seat if he was asleep... so we bought a stroller frame to put the bucket seat on. It has it's moments, but it's a PITA, frankly. Sometimes my back is not up for babywearing, and then it's nice, if annoying. And today was opposite day, apparently, b/c DH was wearing DS and he was screaming - as soon as he put him in the stroller, he was happy. Go figure.

But, no, no one who is able to carry a baby needs a stroller.

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

Old 09-01-2009, 01:41 PM

are good for...........

shopping--and putting my stuff in it while I wear my babe:

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 PM

I found my jogging stroller really handy at the local swapmeet. It was a great place to put all the stuff I bought. DS did enjoy riding in it some, but of course wanted up and wanted to be worn after a while in the stroller.

I actually got it so I could go rollerblading with DS (rollerblading and babywearing just don't mix), but since we moved, I cannot rollerblade anymore since the streets are now too steep.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:03 PM

I didn't use a stroller for either of my kids until past 18 months, and even then only a handful of times. I even carried DS in a sling the whole time I was pregnant with DD!

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:32 PM

I would love to not need a stroller, but I'm a single mom and I'm also tiny and have a huge baby. Sometimes my back just can't handle it. I have a combi and I love it. It folds up really small, so I just keep it in my trunk all the time. I wear DS in my mei tai for as long as I can, and then once my back hurts too much I switch him to the stroller. I can do it a lot longer if he's on my back, but I can't get him on by myself so a lot of the time that's not an option. I finally decided to just order an ergo. I'm hoping I can figure out a way to get him on my back in that. I should be getting it any day now.

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
DH and I always get a laugh out of parents struggling with their strollers or bucket seats with a baby who would rather be carried or off paved areas.
Please think twice before laughing at other parents or making assumptions about their children. I love wearing my baby and do often. But on walks she prefers her stroller. She gets it out and tries to climb in on her own (at 11 months) and is so excited to get to ride in it. So I hope you haven't been laughing at me because I'm just doing what seems best for my daughter.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 PM

What I love is the people who will look at you, wearing your LO, comfortably walking around or carrying a cup of coffee, or doing whatever, with the baby happily looking around or fast asleep and say....

"You'll need a stroller any day now, she's too big to carry, you'll hurt your back"

....*crickets chirp*.......

Does it look like I am in any sort of pain or inconvenience?

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post
"You'll need a stroller any day now, she's too big to carry, you'll hurt your back"
Unfortunately, this did actually happen to me. I threw my back out in highschool by lifting too much too soon and every since then I occasionally throw it out : So for about a week I had to put my babe in her stroller. I usually wear her but if we're going shopping, she usually is happier in the cart. whatever she wants.

and sometimes the stroller is the only way to put her to sleep. Although since we've moved, we don't have it. We simply don't have the room.

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
Old 09-05-2009, 11:56 PM

It just kills me that I was hearing it from the time she was about 8 lb (she is still only 13lb, I have a cat that weighs more than that), I have no history of back problems, and people just assume that it will inevitably harm you.

It's like it blows peoples minds that you are doing something "different" and different has to be dangerous somehow. So either it will = injury for me or our children will "never learn to walk"

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Old 09-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
DH and I always get a laugh out of parents struggling with their strollers or bucket seats with a baby who would rather be carried or off paved areas. Most people just can't shift their paradigm away from these norms no matter what makes more sense. We never bought a stroller and never regretted it.
I'm really tired of people bashing parents who use strollers. You don't know the reasons why they do rather than babywearing...strollers are much more accessible for one thing, Ergos and other babywearing devices are expensive, and used strollers are free or cheap. Also, bigger babies can be tiring to wear (mine weighs 27 pounds and I'm only 5'2'', I get tired wearing her when I go for a walk). Or if one has a bad back or something a stroller makes more sense.
Please remember that just because others make different parenting choices than you, they are still people, they are not necessarily stupid or ignorant, and they love their children. Show some respect.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:35 PM

i found after carrying my DD2 that i can not carry an older baby/small toddler for an extended period of time, when she was 11 months old it was starting to get pretty painfull carrying her on ym back and then something happend to my hip so i had to stop carrying her, she ahs loved the pushchair since and now i have DD3 i love carrying one and pushing the other as it means i have support for icy/slippy weather and somewhere to store my shopping etc. im hoping to be able to carry DD3 a bit longer as im going to try to get in some excersise to streghthen my back/hips etc.

but saying that DH is insisting on getting the Pear adapter for the iCandy so that once i am ready to leave DD3 for a bit he can take her out with the others or i can use the pushchair if my back is not up to it.

kiz
Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmueller View Post
are good for...........

shopping--and putting my stuff in it while I wear my babe:
YES lol
Old 09-11-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD liked hers and it was nice to have a break from holding her when we were out for long periods or it was hot. Also, she could sleep laying all the way flat when we were at restaurants or at a park. Work great at times.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:03 PM

I have a front/back double stroller. Yeah, it's bulky and difficult to get in and out of the house, but I also have a 3 1/2 year old, a 20 month old, and I am 16 weeks pregnant (I am married, but usually when we have the stroller DH is not with us). I also have an extruded disk in my lower back, and if I wear my babies in a slightly wrong way (and I DO wear my babies, for pretty much their whole first year, and any time they want to be worn at home or when we're out) my back kills me. I agree that it is easier to wear/hold your babies, and I never carry my babies in their bucket seats. When I see a mom or a dad lugging around a baby in a bucket seat, I just think, "It could be so much easier on you!"
We mainly use our stroller when we go on walks, so I can carry and the children can eat a snack and drink water, or if we go to the mall. The kids either ride in the stroller or walk or I wear/hold them (usually the younger one) depending on which they prefer. If we go to the grocery, DD usually walks (she is learning as she walks more that she is supposed to stay with us, not touch things, and if she runs off, which she never does, she will have to get in the cart) and DS rides in the bucket of the cart, because he loves it.

Megan, wife to my HS sweetheart , and mama to Libby (3), Hudson (2) and Remi Grace, born in water 2/26.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
My dad keeps saying I need to use our stroller for when I walk the dog, which is kind of valid. He's scared the dog is going to trip me (he's nuts and runs all over like a psycho) and I'll fall with Peanut strapped to me. His way of thinking is that if she's in the stroller she won't fall, which would be true unless the dog gets wrapped in the stroller and knocks that over.
I disagree with your dad's assumption that babywearing is more dangerous. If you have a hands free baby carrier, then when your dog trips you, you will put your hands out and catch yourself on something, even if it's the ground. Your palms and knees might get scraped, but baby will probably sleep through it!

If you were carrying your baby in arms without a carrier, one of you would probably get seriously hurt--the baby, when she goes flying through the air, or you, when you try to fall without landing on your baby OR catching yourself with your arms! Yet we still risk holding babies in this culture . . .

And, as you said, a stroller can get tipped over by a dog leash too. That is much scarier to me! Or it can tip over a curb, roll into traffic, etc. Not that you are going to let that happen, but seriously, how can having the baby on your body be more dangerous than that?

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adasmommy View Post
If you have a hands free baby carrier, then when your dog trips you, you will put your hands out and catch yourself on something, even if it's the ground. Your palms and knees might get scraped, but baby will probably sleep through it!
This actually happened to me, though not by a dog, but by my own clumsiness. When DS was several months old, both DH and I had dentist appointments. Since our kids pretty much go everywhere with us, they went to the appointments. I'll give you DH's perspective, because it sounds funnier. We were walking up the steps to the office, DH in front carrying DD and me in back with DS in a sling. He said he looked and could see me in the reflection of one of the windows, and then all of the sudden I disappeared. I had hit my toe on the end of the step and just fell forward. I still have a scar on my knee, but DS never even flinched. Thank God I had him in the sling!

Megan, wife to my HS sweetheart , and mama to Libby (3), Hudson (2) and Remi Grace, born in water 2/26.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:16 PM

My family & friends never pushed one way over the other. I don't recall ever being told I would need a stroller.

I will admit that before I had children people with huge strollers blocking things was one of my pet peeves. But you live a bit, and learn a bit, and having 4 children has taught me to have more patience with other people's choices.

For me, it's been easier to carry my little babies in a sling. I've never really slung a baby once they get to the crawling stage. I just carry them in arms.

I do like strollers for older kids who would rather walk most of the time, but then get tired. I don't own one though. We just rent one when we need it, like at a theme park. While shopping, I just use the shopping cart to push the kids in.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
Old 09-13-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoon89 View Post
I'm really tired of people bashing parents who use strollers. You don't know the reasons why they do rather than babywearing...strollers are much more accessible for one thing, Ergos and other babywearing devices are expensive, and used strollers are free or cheap. Also, bigger babies can be tiring to wear (mine weighs 27 pounds and I'm only 5'2'', I get tired wearing her when I go for a walk). Or if one has a bad back or something a stroller makes more sense.
Please remember that just because others make different parenting choices than you, they are still people, they are not necessarily stupid or ignorant, and they love their children. Show some respect.
Ditto this. Many other slings and carriers are also more expensive than a cheap used stroller, and not everyone is capable of making their own babywearing devices. The cheapo baby carriers are enough to turn even the most stalwart parent off of babywearing.

I have slings, wraps, a baby bjorn and a backpack carrier, and all got regular use when my littles were babies, but our strollers have all gotten frequent use too. Sometimes the stroller wins out in comfort, safety and convenience for both the littles and the parents.

I loved babywearing for quick trips, or when I knew I'd be taking public transit and not having to carry a lot of extra stuff, but for longer family trips, I always break out the stroller.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiPolizzi View Post
I would love to not need a stroller, but I'm a single mom and I'm also tiny and have a huge baby. Sometimes my back just can't handle it. I have a combi and I love it. It folds up really small, so I just keep it in my trunk all the time. I wear DS in my mei tai for as long as I can, and then once my back hurts too much I switch him to the stroller. I can do it a lot longer if he's on my back, but I can't get him on by myself so a lot of the time that's not an option. I finally decided to just order an ergo. I'm hoping I can figure out a way to get him on my back in that. I should be getting it any day now.
i use an ergo for my ds caden and to get him on my back i strap him in while on my front and then twist him and the carrier round to my back.
i did cave in and order a pram although i don't use it cos i find prams annoying and pushing up hill to school hurts my arms and attempting to push up and down busy corridoors and lug up and down the stairs at my childrens school isn't much fun so it's just stook in my understair cupboard

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

Old 10-17-2009, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoon89 View Post
i agree with you here my thread was only a rant about being pressured into buying a pram which i caved in and did.
i do get sick of constant remarks about me still carrying caden, although never mean still annoying when i'm constantly being asked "doesn't that hurt your back" or being told "your back will be killing by then end of the day".
i'm lucky most of the time though cos i usually get comments on how comfortable and happy he looks.
not sure i could carry 27lb baby either though but i will have to see.

Xander 19/05/2011

Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieChristianMum View Post
This actually happened to me, though not by a dog, but by my own clumsiness. When DS was several months old, both DH and I had dentist appointments. Since our kids pretty much go everywhere with us, they went to the appointments. I'll give you DH's perspective, because it sounds funnier. We were walking up the steps to the office, DH in front carrying DD and me in back with DS in a sling. He said he looked and could see me in the reflection of one of the windows, and then all of the sudden I disappeared. I had hit my toe on the end of the step and just fell forward. I still have a scar on my knee, but DS never even flinched. Thank God I had him in the sling!
i fell while carrying caden last year, he was facing out in the baby bjorn and my ankle went over and i knew i was going to fall so my first was to stop caden being hurt so i hicked his legs up with one arm to stop them hitting th ground when i fell and and used my other arm to stop his head and face hitting the floor.

Xander 19/05/2011

User Tag List