Ergo vs. Beco (or other) - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: If money wasn't an issue, would you buy: Ergo vs. Beco??
Ergo 3 23.08%
Beco 10 76.92%
Other (please comment) 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2009, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm not new to babywearing, but I am new to structured carriers. I have several homemade carriers and a couple Moby's. Here's the question: it's tax time, so money isn't an issue, but I want a structured carrier which will be quick, easy, and comfortable with older babies. I have a 25# 17 mos old and an 18# 9 mos old. I also have a 45# 3.5 yo, though I don't think I'll be wearing him much. Anyways, I think I've narrowed it down to Ergo vs. Beco. Any advice? Please chime in with comments, too, after you vote.

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 10:06 AM

I voted Beco b/c the body is taller & more supportive. You don't get the leaning back you can get w/ an Ergo. It is also super easy to get babe in & out of.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

Old 03-19-2009, 10:22 AM

:

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 03-19-2009, 04:35 PM

For all the reasons listed in this comparison chart, I prefer my Beco to an Ergo. It's made ethically and has better construction. I can also pass my guy to someone else to wear without taking him out of the carrier, which was really nice in the early days. It feels way more secure to me, too.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
For all the reasons listed in this comparison chart, I prefer my Beco to an Ergo. It's made ethically and has better construction. I can also pass my guy to someone else to wear without taking him out of the carrier, which was really nice in the early days. It feels way more secure to me, too.
Thanks for posting this chart. It's wonderful. I especially enjoyed reading the Baby Bjorn column.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:08 PM

It's a hard call. I would say a Beco in your situation, because you have a baby. I think the internal seat will be helpful with a LO because you can switch from front to back to front easier or pass the carrier off to dad w/o removing baby. Plus the pretty fabrics!

That all said, I have both an Ergo and a Butterfly and right now I am prefering the Ergo simply because it's easier to get my 30 lb almost 2 yr old in and out. I don't like having him step into the seat portion of the Beco, or trying to fit his legs in when it's already on my body. Plus, he loves to have his arms out and it seems a bit easier in the Ergo since the body of the panel is shorter. I chose the organic black with embroidery to stay away from the plainer fabrics the ergo offers.

Both are comfy, even for heavy toddlers and for long carries -- you really can't go wrong.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 PM

I have only ever used a baby trekker but after reading the comparison chart I would like a butterfly.

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
Old 03-22-2009, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Okay; I was originally leaning towards an Ergo, but today I bought a Beco after all your great tips. I'm a little overwhelmed by it right now because it's so complicated with all the straps and clips, but I'm sure I'll learn it all. Thanks for the great advice!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

User Tag List