ERGO v. BECO - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone have a preference for ERGO v. BECO? I'm looking for something for my 4MO. She's normally in a sling, but recently, she really likes to be upright. I haven't noticed much of a difference when researching them. The ERGO is cheaper, but doesn't look as nice (IMO). Any suggestions?

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#2 of 13 Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have both and love them both. I prefer the Ergo now with a 2 yo but at 4 months, I would have likely preferred the Beco b/c of the internal harness seat. It makes it easier to back carry with smaller babies. Beco has prettier patterns, obviously, but then I chose the organic black Ergo with embroidery... so it's not plain by an means.

I think you will be happy with either!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 13 Old 05-03-2009, 02:25 PM

I started a similar thread when I was trying to decide between Ergo & Beco

Here it is.

edit: and there's quite a few other comparison threads, it seems people often find it hard to decide between the two!

Mommy to DD bouncy.gif born August 2008 

#4 of 13 Old 05-03-2009, 04:56 PM

IME it comes down to two factors:

1) your personal body size/shape. Many people can wear either comfortably, but I think the Beco fits smaller/narrower shoulders better than it does broader/wider shoulders (or big chests in general). I often find that fluffier/bigger mamas like the Ergo better and smaller/more petite mamas like the Beco better.

2) your comfort level with learning to do back carries on your own. The Beco takes the fear factor out of back carries, no question. However, the safety harness does add an additional step that has to be performed every time, i.e. buckling baby in and out of the carrier then putting the carrier on. The Ergo is simpler to use, but takes more practice to learn to do a back carry by yourself.

One more factor to consider -- at 4 months, your dd might not be ready for a a full-on straddle with the ergo. You can always make it work until she is ready, by tucking one leg in and having one out. also, it would probably be a month or two before she was ready for a back carry in the ergo, although with the beco she could probably do it now.

HTH!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 13 Old 05-04-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm going to go look at some here in town today. Still kind of undecided. Maybe I'll end up with both!

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

#6 of 13 Old 05-08-2009, 01:14 PM

Leisha (or anyone else with the Beco Butterfly)...are you able to breastfeed easily while wearing the carrier?

cd.gif  love.gif(DD1 Oct 2009),  angel1.gif (2011) ,  twins.gif (DD2 and DD3 June 2012)

#7 of 13 Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM

I love love love my Beco. I like that it's trim - a friend has an Ergo and when she wears it, it just looks heavier than my Beco (but that could be my imagination as well.)

And while the internal harness does add an extra step, it's no biggie. My husband was never comfortable doing a back carry in a MT but he loves carrying her in the Beco.

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#8 of 13 Old 05-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Also, my husband and I are totally opposite body types and we both can wear it equally comfortably.

Here are some photos from when I first got it if you'd like to see - she was six months old and 16lbs.

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#9 of 13 Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 PM

I've used/owned both. I like the beco. It seems a little more "flexible" so it's more comfortable. Also, the panel height is slightly taller i believe, so it provides a bit more security for a younger baby (or one that likes to thrash around). Also, in general, i find the whole thing better quality, and just more comfortable.
#10 of 13 Old 05-08-2009, 02:07 PM

I love my Beco! It's the only carrier my dd has tolerated and now I use it multiple times a day as she comes to work with me and it's where she naps. I would be lost without it! I find it *so* easy to put on and take off. DH likes it too!
#11 of 13 Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyBean View Post
Leisha (or anyone else with the Beco Butterfly)...are you able to breastfeed easily while wearing the carrier?
As much as I love my Beco, I don't find it easy to breastfeed in unfortunately... but maybe that's just me I've only tried once or twice, as I prefer just sitting down to feed dd anyway. So I've never really felt the need to.

I would be interested in hearing if other Beco users can bf in it!

Mommy to DD bouncy.gif born August 2008 

#12 of 13 Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM

I love my Beco, but agree that it is not ideal for breastfeeding. Although, while I haven't tried it, I don't think the Ergo would be my first choice either.

The Beco is easier to pack. It's less bulky than the Ergo.

The panel really makes it easily to get a baby onto your back alone, and to change wearers. It's very easy for me and DH to switch DS. We've used this feature more than I would have expected.

A lot of people like that the Beco has a taller body so baby can't lean backwards.

I've heard that Beco is a more socially responsible company with better customer service.than Ergo, but I don't have any personal experience with this.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#13 of 13 Old 05-12-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

I ended up getting the BECO. So far, the baby really likes it! She loves being upright, and it doesn't hurt my shoulder the way the ring sling does. I tried putting her on my back and she cried. Maybe she is too young for riding on the back. She likes to look at me and make faces! I did try nursing her in it. It is possible, but I don't think I will try it in public. It required me to expose a lot more skin than I would like.

Oh, and my 3yo also rode in the BECO, briefly. She really likes it. I won't be using it much with her though. 35 pounds is heavy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page