traditional mei tai OR Pikkolo buckle mei tai - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-12-2009, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone used both? I have an Ergo so I don't want a buckle mei tai if it is almost the same. I like the tie kind but not sure I may avoid using using if too complicated or unsafe feeling.

the main reason I want another carrier is becasue the Ergo and Moby are so hot.
#2 of 4 Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Freehand Mei Tai, Pikkolo and Ergo. I loved the Ergo for my older LO, the Freehand feels like it will be so much lighter than either the Pikkolo or the Ergo - BUT IF the baby prefers not to be froggied - the Pikkolo will come in oh so handy! (I'm due in 7 weeks.) The Pikkolo does not appear to be much cooler than the Ergo. It's very similar esp with the waist belt but with the Ergo you need that hot infant insert! The Freehand is such a nice lighter weight! It's the middle of the night for me so hopefully this makes sense.

still learning
#3 of 4 Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 AM

If you sew i have a great pattern for a homemade meitai. Pm me an email address to send it to and i'll do so.
#4 of 4 Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Buckle carriers and mei tais can be VERY different in the "coolness" factor due to the material. There will be mei tais that are hot because of heavier fabric and some that are cooler because of lighter weight fabric and the same is true with buckle carriers.

So it depends on which specific mei tai you were looking at.
You want a sturdy bottomweight or twill or lightweight denim for the base fabric and straps, but not another thick layer of fabric like decorator fabric if you want to keep it cool.

My Blessed Baby is a hybrid carrier that buckles at the waist but ties for the shoulder straps. It's not a heavy fabric so it's fairly cool to use in the summer months. This is one of the carriers I'll be using when it gets warm.
www.my-blessed-baby.com

The ties for a mei tai are no less safe than the buckles on a buckle carrier IMO. If you know how to tie a bow or a knot then you're safe. I personally think I can get a mei tai tied more secure than I can get a buckle adjusted with an Ergo or buckle carrier. It's alot about personal preference.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page