can i make one? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i want one of those carriers that looks like a big piece of fabric that you strap the baby onto yourself with.....

is it just a big piece of fabric or would i need to something special with it? has anyone made their own?

TIA :

my boobs are eeeevil.................eeevil i tells ya....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
i want one of those carriers that looks like a big piece of fabric that you strap the baby onto yourself with.....

is it just a big piece of fabric or would i need to something special with it? has anyone made their own?

TIA :
i think you are talking about a podegi. it's a wide piece of cloth with 2 straps, one at each end, on the top.. it's easy to make. i believe you can easily make it.
hope u get more info on the DIY instructions from the other ladies.

- Jen -
Proud mama to Jaimie and Jadon. Traditional Korean podaegis and chuneis.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
or do you mean a wrap? A wrap is a long piece of fabric that you tie your baby with. You can make a stretchy one with t-shirt like material or a summery one with crinkle cotton.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If you mean a wrap, like a Moby-style wrap, they are super easy to make! I know next to nothing about crafts/sewing, and I made one in about 10 minutes.

You just buy 5.5 yards of stretchy fabric (for babies up to about 15 pounds) or woven fabric (for heavier babies), cut it to a 23-inch width, and that's it! With a woven fabric, you'll have to hem all around the edges to prevent fraying, but with a stretchy fabric you won't -- I didn't hem mine, and it held up through 6 months of heavy use and lots of washings. To make it easier to find the center for when you put it on, I sewed a button in the middle.

Here are some great instructions for various carries you can do with a wrap.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 05-25-2009, 03:02 AM

I second what limabean said, I made a woven for myself that I used with my first, and even without hemming it has held up beautifully. My second is due any day now, and I'm fairly certain that will be the first thing I use to wear him/her.

I never liked stretchy wraps, my baby was too big, too soon, and the wrap would get stretched out and baby would sag. It was obnoxious. She was also a summer baby, and the knit made me sweat.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas :

i'm going to buy the material tomorrow, dd was 13lb last week.... is there a fabric i should avoid?im hoping to wear it when we go to portugal (mostly cos we are going with my mum who seems to think she is dds mum!!)so i could do with something light... if i can find cheap enough material i might make a few

ive actually never seen anyone wearing one. even my pouch is a novelty round here, everyone asks about it

Old 05-25-2009, 05:16 PM

If your dd is already 13 pounds, I would stay away from a stretchy wrap and go with a woven. Linen makes a really fantastic DIY woven wrap
Old 05-26-2009, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

i got some lovely purple gingham, it was £1.99 a metre (google says thats $3.16?) i plan to fold it in half length ways to make it stronger, i checked i could breath through it and its nice and light for summer...if it doesnt work or we dont like it then ive not lost that much money really but i'll probably make dd something out of it like a bean bag

will try and post a pic when its done :

Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 AM

I was thinking I'd make my own... Here's some links to patterns/how-to's that I found:

This one seems easy enough, and they even recomend types of cloth, and show differant ways to carry the baby in it. - http://mykarmababy.com/pages/BabySlingPattern.php

This is a similar design, but has more instructional pictures: http://www.handmade-adelaide-baby.co...g-pattern.html

And here's a no-sew way to make one from Hathor the Cow Goddess:
http://www.thecowgoddess.com/categor...cs/inventions/

(it's mostly covered in the 2nd comic on this page)

Hope that helps!

Blarg, blarg-blargity- BLARG!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
i got some lovely purple gingham, it was £1.99 a metre (google says thats $3.16?) i plan to fold it in half length ways to make it stronger, i checked i could breath through it and its nice and light for summer...if it doesnt work or we dont like it then ive not lost that much money really but i'll probably make dd something out of it like a bean bag

will try and post a pic when its done :
Sounds pretty -- definitely post a pic!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

User Tag List