sling for an older baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-30-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
my baby is 9 months old and about 20 lbs. I am going to be off for the summer and looking forward to spending all day every day with my baby I was looking into getting a sling for her while we are out and about, but my problem is: which kind do you get when your baby is older and getting bigger? I'd like to get one I would get the max use time out of.. any suggestions? thanks so much.
emily
#2 of 9 Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 PM

I would recommend a Mei Tai.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#3 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My plain old ring sling still works great for my 12-month-old, 21-pound DD. I use the hip carry to distribute her weight, and it's very comfortable! I'm glad to still be getting so much use out of it. I did purchase a Beco recently and really like it too, but that's a SSC, not a sling, so I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.

I've never tried a mei tai, but I've heard wonderful things about them.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#4 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 02:17 AM

oh the options are endless: mei tai, ssc, ring sling, wrap, pod ... What kinds of activities will you be doing? Do you want to do hip carries for quick ups and downs, or back carries for longer outings? Do you like buckles, or longer mei tai straps, or the total versatility of a wrap? Fill us in and we can help hook/tie you up!

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,
#5 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 02:20 AM

I never had any luck with the slings I tried. However, we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our Ergo! DD is 7 1/2 mo and we are both very comfortable using it!
#6 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

well, I am looking for something thats good for a novice mommy and baby. I'd also like the max comfort I can get in the hot weather. I was thinking of wearing her to go on walks around the nieghborhood, visit our local farmers market, go to the grocery store...etc. Also would be good if my husband could wear her too.
Price could be a concern to. I'd like to know what the best of the best is, but maybe some more economical options too. Of course, I worry if I get something cheap and we have a bad experience I'll give it up and that money will be wasted anyway. Like when dd was an infant and someone got us one of those cheap bag-like slings and we both hated it and gave up. I didn't know any better then.
#7 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 PM

The Ergo isn't cheap, but it is totally worth the investment! We use ours daily. DH uses it several times a week with her, too. It is extremely easy to use in the front, back and hip positions. It is comfortable, I don't get sore, and DD enjoys being in it. I also love that I can nurse in it. I use it around the house, while shopping, taking walks, at festivals, and so on. It's the only carrier I use now.
#8 of 9 Old 05-31-2009, 10:35 PM

I have a babyhawk mei tai and a hotsling and I use both with both my kids, including my 3.5 year old, on a daily basis.

The hotsling is great because it is easy to throw on and the child can see out better and participate more in whatever I'm going.

The mei tai is great because it really distributes the weight well and I can carry heavy kids for long time periods without being wildly uncomfortable. I still carry my almost-12-month old on the front, facing me. Or I can carry her or the 3.5yo on my back.

I never leave home without BOTH of them (I'm a bit of a sling freak!) I think if I HAD to choose I'd get the mei tai simply because of comfort.
#9 of 9 Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 AM

For any of my pg friends, I recommend a good ring sling (my fave is sleeping baby productions) and a good 2-shouldered carrier: an ssc (ergo, beco, calyx), or a mei tai (baby hawk, kozy, freehand, ball baby). 2-shouldered carries are far more comfortable for longer outings, but I love the conveniece of a rs, especially for the quick ups and downs of my 2.5yo (and a rs is good for nursing little ones in too; very versatile). Check out TBW for chhosing and using forums specific to each type of carrier (as well as pretty pics of all the gorgeous carriers to entice you!)

Kelly , mama to 4yo and 1yo ,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page