Napping ONLY in sling? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-05-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is currently 2 months old, and I'm carrying him in a Maya Wrap for most of the day (whenever we're not nursing, changing diapers, or having "floor time"). I am all for babywearing, and I know it's great for bonding and him feeling safe and secure and snuggly. As he gets heavier, though, carrying him all the time is starting to take a toll on my back. I do have a Moby Wrap, which I'm trying to get better at using (so the weight will be distributed across both shoulders). I'm struggling with how stretchy the Moby is...He gradually sinks lower and lower the longer he's in it.

I would LOVE if I could put him down for even just one nap per day so I could have a little break. We cosleep at night, and sometimes I can get him to take a nap if we get in bed together, but a lot of the time he will only sleep if I carry him around in the sling. Anyone else having this dilemma? I would love a couple of hours just to give my back a rest (and eat a meal with 2 hands). Any time I've tried to put him down for a nap (in his crib, cradle, or the Amby bed we just bought), he sleeps for about 15 minutes then wakes up crying. Suggestions?

I've heard from some people that this all changes magically at 3 months...that I'll be able to put him down some. Is that true?
#2 of 11 Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedeepee View Post
I've heard from some people that this all changes magically at 3 months...that I'll be able to put him down some. Is that true?
Boy, I hope so!

Does your baby stir a bit before fully waking? When my LO grunts in his sleep, I can often get him back to sleep by bouncing his bouncy seat in a way that emulates the motion he'd feel if I were walking with him. Or I cup my hands around his shoulders and sides briefly, so he feels some extra warmth and contact.

Gallifreyan nerdfighter :, doting partner to the sasquatch , mama to the boss : (10/05) and the new little one (4/14/09). :: and hoping to :
#3 of 11 Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedeepee View Post
Maybe...I don't know because I've not kept track, but my kids took most of their naps in slings most of the first year. I have noticed that my littlest one (3 mos) does now sometime stay asleep a little longer when not carried, but that's happened just a handful of times, since it's been easy to just carry him. My suggestion actually is to learn back carries. I'd get a carrier that allows you to do back carries and that will make it much easier for you to wear your little one through naps. Gives you your full front, while baby sleeps away on your back. Ofcourse happily fed and ready to nap and then pop on back and Zzzzzzz. Mine needs movement and noise to fall asleep, but with three kids under 4 that's not that hard to provide around here.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#4 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 12:27 AM

My baby magically could be put down at 3 months! I'm sure they're all different, though! She had a stretch from 3 to about 6 months where I could put her down, and she'd even fall asleep without nursing! She took all her naps on me after seven months, though, in an Ergo. I think you're on the right track with something that uses both shoulders!

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#5 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he's 2 months right now...isn't that too little for a back carry?

I'm willing to experiment with different carries and different carriers for now (to make myself more comfortable). However, when he's about 4.5 months old he's going to be in child care for at least 2 days a week (maybe 2.5 or 3, unfortunately). I'm worried about how things will go if I don't get him used to napping on his own before he goes to child care!
#6 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 09:25 PM

My 2 youngest only napped in a sling. They slept so much better in it!
Thank goodness for back carries.
And no, 2 months is not too young for back carries depending on the carrier you have, and how confident you are puttingg your baby back there
#7 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM

Oh I feel for you! My dd only took naps on me and only if I was standing up! I had to find housekeeping chores I could do for 4 hours a day (2 2 hr naps) that didn't require sitting down or bending over.

Most of those naps were in an ergo on my back, but yes, I think a two month old is too young for that.

However, I did make a cotton gauze wrap and carried her in a rucksack carry (link is to a video of swaddled rucksack carry) when she was tiny. It was so comfortable! I'm not sure if a moby is too stretchy for this carry?

Best of luck!

Momma to my sweet kiddos DD (2.19.07) and DS (9.27.09) and wife to the most amazing man (7.24.04)
: :
#8 of 11 Old 06-06-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Well, he's 2 months right now...isn't that too little for a back carry?
Nope!! I start around 3 weeks & lots of people start with a newborn. Just get practice over a soft surface until you feel confident.

If I were you, I'd try getting him to sleep on his own for naps as much as you can & then just wear him for that nap if he won't stay asleep. You'll definitely need something besides the Moby for back carries. A MT or woven wrap would work well. If he's a heavy baby, you'll need something besides the moby soon, anyway. Stretchy wraps aren't useful for very long

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#9 of 11 Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 AM

Oh, yes, you can start back carries actually from day one. If it's new to you, google for using instructions and also check out videos in youtube. I have found BWCC to be most easiest and comfortable with my littlest one. He was on my back within week 1 of life. Here's a picture of him in a BWCC (I think he was a month or so old in this picture).

Practice over something soft once you learn the carry online. Having someone else around the first couple of times can be helpful.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#10 of 11 Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips on back-carrying. I'll give it a try.
#11 of 11 Old 06-15-2009, 12:45 PM

DD also mostly slept in slings for many months... can't remember when I started to be able to lay her down, to tell the truth. But it was certainly at LEAST 3mo! I and my DH each mastered the art of slipping ourselves out of the sling, leaving DD on the bed still curled up in/on the sling. I do think it's easier to just lay her down on a bed, rather than trying to go into a crib or something.

Most of the time she was in a fleece hotsling pouch, or in an upright carry in my Moby. Yes, you have to re-tighten a Moby every so often, but it can be worth it because it's so comfy. There are other wraps which are very comfy but slightly less stretchy (I later got a Bali Baby Stretch which was just divine) and the woven wraps (girasol, didymos, etc) are also very comfy. Stretchy ones are more forgiving when you're just learning, but the woven ones are *in general* better for the long-term. I sold my Moby when she got too heavy for it to be practical, to another mama starting out with a newborn. No regrets!

Anyway, when she would nap, I'd do something sitting down to rest my back. Another poster mentioned her LO would only sleep while she was standing up, but I was lucky I guess. It certainly can't hurt to try it. I'd, uh, do a lot of browsing and posting here on MDC while she napped, for instance Or I'd read a good parenting book. Or have a snack. Then do housework when I didn't need a break.

The back-wearing is certainly a great idea. Another thing you might pursue is just to make sure you're really using your carrier properly. If you've got something adjusted less than ideally, it can increase back pain. It shouldn't REALLY hurt to carry baby even for long periods of time, though of course it can... but if something can be improved, it's certainly worth checking.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page