A carrier that hugs like a Moby but is much faster/easier to put on? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does something like this exist? (Besides a one-shoulder sling, which I can't use due to a bad back and a ten+ lb, 4 week old baby)

I'm looking for something for our vacation at the beach, which will involve airports, cars, and hot weather. My LO likes being hugged in the Moby, but I think it's just too hot, and too hard to get on in an instant. I have an Ergo, and I like the way that just snaps on. (but she's too little for it.)

Any thoughts?

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Pikkolo - like an Ergo but suitable for 8lbs and up............had my 4 day old in it happily!
nak

still learning
#3 of 21 Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 PM

You can use the Ergo at this age/size if you get the infant insert.

If you like something stretchy, what about the blue celery? I've never seen it in real life, but it looks like it hugs like the Moby but might be faster to get on. Yow, I just looked and it's pretty expensive, but it might not be impossible to make one.

As for hot weather, I wish I knew. I think babywearing is always kind of hot. I had DD in the mei tai in just a diaper today, and she was dripping with sweat when I took her out. And a mei tai is comparatively breezy! Our homemade gauze wrap is probably our coolest babywearing thing, but it takes the longest to get on and off.

Hey, have fun on vacation! Taking the baby to the beach sounds like soooo much fun!

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#4 of 21 Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

the thing about the infant insert is that it looks *really* hot. also, the baby goes in sideways-- I have tried her in our Ergo in a swaddle, and it didn't go over well. there was a lot of noise.

the pikkolo looks cool. wish I could find a used one that wasn't $100+.

#5 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaShark View Post
Pikkolo - like an Ergo but suitable for 8lbs and up............had my 4 day old in it happily!
nak
not nak, but holding baby w/left arm...ugg!!! do you think a pikkolo + moby + ergo is a waste of $$$? I feel bad telling DH I need *another* carrier. maybe i should try the moby hold where the legs hang out. it would be nice to have something easier/faster though. pikkolo is $$$. but i think my left arm wants one!

#6 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM

I do NOT recommend the Ergo for infants. It's really hard to get them settled in there, and it is hot w the infant insert. It's great for bigger babies, but not a good option for infants. If you want a soft-structured carrier, catbird baby pikkolo is def. a good option. It allows you to cinch in the base of the body so their little legs can hang out if you want, or they can be 'froggy-legged' in there. You might want to consider a meitai, as it will 'hug' your baby better than an SSC but is much easier to deal with than a wrap.

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#7 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 11:52 AM

You could try the Ergo with baby in a tummy to tummy, froggy leg position inside the carrier. You don't have to swaddle or use the insert, as long as you cinch the shoulder straps enough so that she's securely upright and held close to your body. Make sure she doesn't slump chin to chest, and make sure her feet are froggy-style (i.e. parallel to the hip belt and not sitting on pointed-down toes).

I had a one month old in yesterday and this t2t position worked perfectly for her parents, no insert needed.

I think the Pikkolo is a fantastic carrier for little babies, but I am all about playing with what you already have to make it work!

Two less-expensive options if you wanted to try a new carrier would be either a mei tai or a lightweight wrap like a Wrapsody Breeze. Both will enable you to have both hands free and two-shoulder support, with baby securely in a tummy to tummy position. Both take a little practice but are very easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#8 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 12:07 PM

I use this one which I absolutely LOVE! not to mention DS loved it too! He hated the full frontal carriers and I dont like the ones on the back so this was a perfect compromise, its on the hip, so DS still feels like Im carrying him on my hip.

http://www.portamee.com/

It is a little pricey but let me tell you, it is totally worth the price. I used it on a trip to Vegas with lots of walking and my back didnt hurt one bit (at DS weighed 30 pounds at the time). I then used it for a 2 mile hike which worked perfectly. I highly recommend it. I think if you do a google search you might be able to find it cheaper at other sites like amazon.com

BFPChart2.gif

#9 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
You could try the Ergo with baby in a tummy to tummy, froggy leg position inside the carrier. You don't have to swaddle or use the insert, as long as you cinch the shoulder straps enough so that she's securely upright and held close to your body. Make sure she doesn't slump chin to chest, and make sure her feet are froggy-style (i.e. parallel to the hip belt and not sitting on pointed-down toes).

I think the Pikkolo is a fantastic carrier for little babies, but I am all about playing with what you already have to make it work!
I will try the Ergo again. I just hate to hear her scream while she's in it. I usually suck it up and use my arms.

I know what you mean about using what you have. Although I am somewhat desperate and it's nice to hope that a "magic" carrier can arrive in the mail and fix my problem...

I am also going to try the "hug" hold (not the newborn hug) in the Moby when she wakes up. She's not even 5 weeks old yet, but sometimes she wants to move her legs, so maybe this will work. (yes?)

(however, I am still searching for a good online store to buy the Pikkolo if all else fails. I know DH doesn't want me to spend the money on another carrier, but it's not his arms that hold her all day long!! Do you think it's excessive to have 3 carriers? (moby, ergo & pikkolo?)

#10 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 02:40 PM

Three??!! Excessive??!! It is to laugh.

No, seriously, some people have many dozens....which is totally not necessary of course but heck it's cheaper than collecting strollers, and more useful than collecting, say, Hummel figurines!

You can always sell off what doesn't work for you on the Trading Post, FSOT at www.thebabywearer.com, Craig's List, etc. Plus, most vendors have return policies that will allow you to return a carrier (in new condition, i.e. you tried it and it doesn't work) so you're out shipping but not out the full cost of the carrier.

I would def. try the hug hold in the Moby, too -- babies start stretching out their legs at different ages, so there's no hard and fast guidelines as to when they should or shouldn't be in different holds. Follow your baby's cues.

There are lots of excellent Pikkolo vendors who offer first-rate service. Pretty much everyone offers free shipping these days.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#11 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 04:24 PM

btw Quirky is a great mdc seller!!!! She carries the Pikkolo....
What she said about the froggie position in the Ergo is what I would try.........before buying something else.........nak

still learning
#12 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM

I dont' know if this would work for you but I came across this just yesterday and was intrigued. A baby K'tan which is like a wrap but without the wrapping part its two loops of cloth and its made out of stretchy material like the moby. I saw one on the FSOT forum at the babywearer for pretty cheap today. Might be worth checking out.

Shelley, married to my wonderful DH and mama to DD (11) DD (5) and  DD (2)
#13 of 21 Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What she said about the froggie position in the Ergo is what I would try.........before buying something else.........nak
Yes, I did check out Quirky's store. (Hmm...I am looking at the "cloud" Pikkolo, and wondering if DH would think the fabric is too girly. Personally I like the Mocca Rouge best, but I don't think DH would wear it.)

I will try the Ergo again, though. It's so tough getting her feet in correctly. I think she'd like to let her legs dangle. I tried the Moby in the normal "hug" position where her legs are out. This worked okay for a while, but it was by no means hands free for me, since I had to balance her head, and she wanted her arms outside the fabric. But at least it made it so I didn't have to hold her up the whole time.

:yawning:

#14 of 21 Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Three??!! Excessive??!! It is to laugh.

No, seriously, some people have many dozens....which is totally not necessary of course but heck it's cheaper than collecting strollers, and more useful than collecting, say, Hummel figurines!

I would def. try the hug hold in the Moby, too -- babies start stretching out their legs at different ages, so there's no hard and fast guidelines as to when they should or shouldn't be in different holds. Follow your baby's cues.
Well, I already have a Graco Snugrider stroller and a BOB. Oops. I guess I am collecting strollers, too!

The hug hold worked okay in the Moby. (but left me with only one arm free still.) Is it worth it to get the Pikkolo for the short time before the Ergo will fit her? She's 5 weeks old, 10 lbs 12 oz. Maybe I can get by for a month or two with the Moby. I just dislike having to wear it every time I leave the house "just in case" versus a carrier that I can toss in the truck and snap on only if I need it.

#15 of 21 Old 07-16-2009, 03:27 PM

Couldn't you just toss the Moby in the truck for just in case you need it? I usually keep another baby carrier in my purse just in case the one I'm wearing DD in doesn't work for the whole day (like some she can face out in, but won't sleep in, etc). I can see it being kind of hard to put on once you're on the road, though, if you're still getting the hang of it.

If it's not practical to get another carrier, I'd keep trying with what you've got to see if you can make it work. I can get the Moby on and DD in it in probably 30 seconds, but that's after 3 months of practice. That's still not helping your heat issue though. The Moby really is hot. You can make your own gauze wrap out of like $15 worth of fabric. It would tie on like the Moby, but be cooler. Of course, if the Moby is too inconvenient that still won't help you. Oh, and you can try tucking your daughter's head into the shoulder piece of the Moby so you don't have to hold it up. Then (hopefully) it would give you both of your hands to do other stuff!

I feel like I'm being a Moby evangelist! Ok, I have a new plan...since you're the one with the bad back, and DH doesn't think you need a new carrier...how about you let HIM carry/wear her all day this weekend and then see what he says

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#16 of 21 Old 07-16-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post
...since you're the one with the bad back, and DH doesn't think you need a new carrier...how about you let HIM carry/wear her all day this weekend and then see what he says
Exactly. We walked to the mailbox (about a block) yesterday and he said his wrist was *breaking* from holding her.

I really think I am going to break down and order the Pikkolo. I just wish it was under $100. That would make it easier. Also debating on the fabric, wondering if I should get something both DH and I could wear, or go with something I think is prettier.

#17 of 21 Old 07-16-2009, 06:32 PM

I know you said baby really likes to be in Moby. When we went to Florida i borrowed my friends swimming ring sling. I did not want to give it back! Its like a mesh material, super light-weight, dries fast, super fast to put on and tuck baby in. I used it everywhere on our trip; for walks on the beach to letting baby nap (he was 4 months old). I actually kept the sling longer after the trip and used it around the house and going to the store, you name it. I have not had a carrier that I used as much. i hated giving it back. my mother in law found similar material and is going to make me one just like it for this new baby. I'm sure it is not too expensive, to justify buying, although I am not sure what your hubby thinks of a ring sling.
Good luck! I don't think havnig 3 carriers is crazy or over-indulgent (i have about 6 and am looking to buy another0. Now, my husband thinks I am crazy.
#18 of 21 Old 07-16-2009, 10:34 PM

I know you're not into one-shoulder support, but I highly recommend the Ellaroo Mei Hip. It's our (current) favorite summer carrier. Most of DS' 20lbs is supported by my hips, and while I love my wraps, the buckles on the Mei Hip are much quicker. It also allows for a lot more air flow for the both of us than a wrap.
He likes to have his legs free, but he's still a little too small to straddle the front of my tummy, so it's a lot more comfortable for him to straddle my hip.
#19 of 21 Old 07-17-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There are lots of excellent Pikkolo vendors who offer first-rate service. Pretty much everyone offers free shipping these days.
Quote:
Well, we tried the Ergo in the forggy position...it was a big NO GO for DD. She wasn't having it at all.

Quirky, I ordered a Pikkolo from you yesterday that I hope my LO loves. I got the cloud pattern. I hope DH will wear it. My Ergo Sport is black, so I went with one with brown straps. (but wanted some kind of nice pattern besides plain. I hope it's pretty-- it's hard to see the pics.)

#20 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Our baby hates the Ergo with or without the infant insert. I tried at 3 weeks, and 6 weeks. I ordered a mei tai but it wasn't secure enough, or easy to nurse in for me. Seemed like ds would fall out the sides if I wasn't super careful. Likewise, small babies who can't spread their legs around you have to go froggy like the Ergo, and that just seems uncomfortable and inflexible. I have 4 carriers, bjorn, moby, ring sling, Ergo. I asked Jane at Quirkybaby her recommendation after the mei tai didn't work and she said she'd get the pikkolo. I haven't ordered it yet...but seems like many others on this thread agree.

Glad to have read that no number of carriers seems excessive. I was feeling a little sheepish to order another one, but...then just compare the cost to weekly massages, and the choice is easy!
#21 of 21 Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
Exactly. We walked to the mailbox (about a block) yesterday and he said his wrist was *breaking* from holding her.
Hilarious. That worked for me!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page