Ergo - What age/weight can you start to use it w/o the infant insert? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-20-2009, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought an Ergo Sport during pregnancy (without the insert), and so far, have been using our Moby Wrap.
DS is 2.5 months now, and I'm antsy to try out our Ergo.
When did you all start using an Ergo without the insert?
#2 of 8 Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM

I only have the original ergo, so I don't know haw it compares to the sport. DD was 4 - 5 months old when we were able to use it. She is pretty short with little legs and I think that is what took so long for her to fit. HTH
#3 of 8 Old 07-20-2009, 01:45 PM
jmo

I also have the regular ergo, but I started at 3 mos - bigger babe, maybe 15lbs.

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#4 of 8 Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 AM

I have used the Ergo without the infant insert since my DD was 1 wk old (though she and I both seem to do better with the Moby while she's so little). If you look on the Ergo website, there's an instructional video about how to use it with the insert - watch the video and you'll see that a rolled-up blanket or towel can work just as well. That's what I do - doesn't seem to make sense to pay $25 for something I can simulate on my own. I've used the Ergo alone (i.e., without an "insert" of any kind) from 3 mos. with bigger babies, 4 mos. with smaller ones.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#5 of 8 Old 07-21-2009, 12:15 PM

4-5 mo. But not all the time. Until 9-12 months woven wrap or a mei tai are my favorite. I wear my kiddos in the back lots, so the ergo don't work much for a tiny baby body (2-4 mo)

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#6 of 8 Old 07-25-2009, 07:49 PM

DD is 10 weeks old and we've used it a few times without the insert. I put her in there with one leg out and one tucked in, or else both froggy style and she seems to do well.

Mommy to DS Scotland (4) & DD Finley (05.14.09)
I'm a Vegan-treehugging-clothdiapering-co-sleeping-breastfeeding-attachmentparenting, babywearing-mum!
#7 of 8 Old 07-25-2009, 07:53 PM

5 months
#8 of 8 Old 07-27-2009, 07:26 PM

By 2.5 months we were definitely using the ERGO sport without the insert. We probably only used the insert for the first 6 weeks, then went to froggy style (both legs in) without the insert, then progressed to both legs out. We have a ring sling and a mei tei as well and the ERGO was the only one DD really liked. I think if you try it (like sitting down on a bed or something) you'll be able to tell if it is snug enough for your LO without the insert, or like pp said, use a towel or blanket. A lot of the time that I used it froggy style, I wrapped DD in a blanket first.

Mama to my sweet pea:, can't believe how fast she's growing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page