when and where to wear my baby?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My hubbie and I got a K'Tan sling and Moby for our newborn (who is soon to arrive in 2 weeks or so), and we're really excited about baby wearing. We've even practiced with a big teddy bear. BUT we have some questions I haven't been able to find the answer to. Please help us newbies!

How often do you wear your newborn? Is it all the time? Is that healthy for their little limbs to be confined for long periods of time?

How about putting them down to sleep? Any tricks for getting them out of the sling and into the bassinet?

Anything we should avoid doing while wearing our baby? besides the obvious like driving?

Thanks so much
#2 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I think there are probably as may different answers to this as there are babywearers but, we're planning to wear our newborn all the time (except in the car or in bed) as per the continuum concept. From my research, as long as you have a supportive carrier, there are no downsides and lots of benefits to wearing the baby all the time.

Some peope choose not to wear their baby while cooking but others just modify their practices a bit or switch to a back carry.

No tips with the getting down for a nap as this is all still theory for me FWIW we're planning to carry our babies for their naps as well. I have seen pictures of babies asleep on the bed on their wraps after their parent has untied the wrap and lowered them down in it.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wore/wear ds whenever I was out of the house doing things, when doing chores & at times that he wanted to be held & rocked. The rest of the time he was in arms or independent.

We never really needed to transfer from the carrier to the bed or bassinet so I have no tips there.

I found cooking/baking while doing front carriers much too awkward & dangerous feeling so I avoided that.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 PM

I think you'll find what works for you, but for me, I found that wearing my newborn all the time was actually soooo much easier than not wearing him. My babies have wanted to be near me all the time (naturally), so being able to provide that closeness, nurse in the sling, and still be able to do things handsfree was life saving to me as a mom with a new baby and then as a mom with other kids to care for. My newborns have pretty much lived in a sling the first few months, including naps. I have baby carriers that are support comfortable, so have been comfortable wearing them that long.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#5 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon_na_gig View Post
How often do you wear your newborn? Is it all the time? Is that healthy for their little limbs to be confined for long periods of time?
i wore my newborns pretty much constantly when they were awake, and put them down (if they let me! ) when they were sleeping. i don't have any scientific resources about the health of the baby's limbs, but anecdotally, my own kids were ahead of the curve in gross motor skills. also, babywearing has a very long and widespread history. i would think it wouldn't be nearly as cross-cultural as it is if it were detrimental to babies.

Quote:
How about putting them down to sleep? Any tricks for getting them out of the sling and into the bassinet?
really, that's a matter of the temperament of your baby. some babies never really learn to tolerate the transfer from sling to horizontal surface. i found my newborns really appreciated the infused warmth and scent of the sling when i put them down, so i kept it in contact with them. ymmv.

Quote:
Anything we should avoid doing while wearing our baby? besides the obvious like driving?

Thanks so much
that's really up to your comfort level. i cooked while wearing my baby, but not splattery things like bacon, while i figured showering while wearing my baby was going too far. some other people will feel the reverse is true for them.

the best advice i could give about babywearing is to keep your babywearing devices out and available, and wear your baby as much as possible at first. after a while you'll figure out what works best for you and your baby.

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#6 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was a nanny I always wore babies and if I needed a break from wearing and babe was asleep I'd just gently slip out of the sling w/babe still in it, and lower babe onto the bed or into the bassinet. Always worked like a charm for me. In fact I have a beautiful pic somewhere of a set of newborn b/g twins I'd been slinging that I put down and they were still curled up yin/yang style together when I put them down and they stayed that way thru the nap. so lovely.
Good luck w/your new LO

eta: the only downside to laying lo down to sleep while in the sling is the blowout dipes that go thru to the sling too.... A great 'excuse' to buy multiple carriers gotta have extras for when the yucky ones need washing... lol

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#7 of 8 Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 AM

I wore DD all the time when she was newborn - and a lot of the time now (she's 10 months). She recently started falling asleep in a back carry, so I'm wearing her for naps again now. She really didn't like sleeping by herself when she was a newborn, so I would either hold her or wear her.
I read somewhere that you wouldn't want to do anything wearing a baby that you wouldn't do pregnant. It's not a perfect rule, but it makes sense for a lot of things. Climbing a ladder, roller-blading, things like that.

goldfish.gif Mischa 9.30.08, ribbonpb.gif Willow 7.4.10 (21 weeks), rainbow1284.gif Nate 8.27.11

#8 of 8 Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baturay View Post
I think you'll find what works for you, but for me, I found that wearing my newborn all the time was actually soooo much easier than not wearing him.
Ditto! It's just like you're still pregnant. So much easier than having to stop what you're doing every couple seconds to check on baby.

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page