Best carrier for large DH? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-30-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband wants to wear our DD but he doesn't like the Moby Wrap that I use - he says it's too complicated. So we need a carrier just for him.

My first thought was an Ergo but it doesn't look like it will fit. DH is a big guy - 6'2", 285 lbs, 54 inch waist. From Ergo's website: "Waist belt extends an additional 5 inches from 30 inches to a maximum of 48 inches" - 48 inches is still 6 inches to small.

Any ideas on a simple-to-use carrier that will fit him?

Thank you!

Lisa ~ wife to Daniel ~ mama to Claire, born July 2009 (IVF baby!)
#2 of 13 Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dh is about the same size as yours. He has no problem using the ergo with the extender. At the store I bought it at though they had a sample one out we could try out.

He also has a ring sling I made him that he really likes a lot.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 13 Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 PM

I would give the Ergo w/extender a try.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 13 Old 08-30-2009, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It looks like the Ergo Sports model will go up to 56" with the extension.

http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/baby...rs/item/BC6SP/

http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/item/WXN/

#5 of 13 Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 PM

I'm about the same size as your DH, and the Ergo with extender worked well for me with a kid I used to look after.

I've tried the Beco on in store (I can't remember if I needed the extender or not, but I seem to remember it coming with it, while the Ergo it's more $$$).

I preferred the Beco to the Ergo, just based on a fitting with the kid, though I never did get one.

I'm totally with your DH on the wrap - I find them less useful with bigger kids, and I find that the length I need to do most carries makes it unwieldy to manage.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!
#6 of 13 Old 08-31-2009, 09:30 AM

you might also consider a Kozy with XL straps, especially if he's squeamish about trying back carries, as both my DH and i find SSC's like the Ergo uncomfortable for front carries.
#7 of 13 Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM

I've noticed that a lot of people are looking for a good carrier for larger-framed parents. I know the hope is to keep things pretty neat/tidy when the carriers are used for the smaller parent, but it seems odd to me that it's such a struggle to find a company willing to make a carrier with a little more length in the straps, and a little more padding (because on a more squishy/larger person, even normally padded straps will dig in more- an extra inch or so of width could make a big difference in terms of comfort.)

Does anyone know if there are manufacturers out there who are working on this?

FWIW- I have a wrap-style meitai I made that works well- the wrap-style straps were made long enough that a couple bigger members of my family can use it without feeling like they are out of strap to tie securely.
#8 of 13 Old 08-31-2009, 11:54 AM
npl

Don't know whether you can still buy it, but we got the Kelty Kids Kangaroo, because with one set of straps we could accommodate petite me (5"1' and v. small waist at the time) and dh, who is bigger than the OPs dh. It was so easy to switch off wearing the baby, because all we needed to do was pull the waist and shoulder straps looser or tighter.
It's a front-only carrier, with shoulder and back support. We really liked it (enough to keep using with all 3 kids!).
#9 of 13 Old 09-01-2009, 01:29 AM

I would try Nana's Jet Pack. The EX is made for larger parents. Here is the comparison page between the regular and EX. I imagine it would be more comfortable than the ergo with the extender because you get more padding around the waist.
#10 of 13 Old 09-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ergo does offer an extender belt- but they are made out of the USA so if you want something more custom you will have to go to someone else. I know there are people who can do customs for you. We have made a few customs- one of my clients is 7' 4" and I had made them 4 carriers (the wife is 6 foot) So there was nothing on the market for hem unless they went custom.

See who can work with you to find the pefect carrier. And if you want to try ergo just get the extra belt- you can always sell it.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#11 of 13 Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the wonderful answers! I think for long-term we will try the Ergo with the extender belt. But for now, DH wants a pouch. He saw a friend's and liked it. I'm not wild about making one - is there a pouch commercially available that will fit his size?

Lisa ~ wife to Daniel ~ mama to Claire, born July 2009 (IVF baby!)
#12 of 13 Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e(Lisa)beth View Post
is there a pouch commercially available that will fit his size?
http://www.newnativeinc.com says they make sizes up to 5xl.

#13 of 13 Old 09-29-2009, 05:24 PM

My BIL is a very big guy, 6'4", broad shoulders, probably 290-300?, barrel-chested. The Kozy worked great for him when my nephew was a baby -- he didn't need XL straps but those might be a good option. The Ergo Sport with extender belt might work, as might the Nana's JetPak in the bigger size.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend the Beco -- IME it only works well for smaller men/those who are narrower in the shoulders. It's cut quite narrowly through the shoulders, so even though it has a good amount of room in the hip belt/webbing, I can pretty much guarantee it's going to be too tight on your dh. My dh is 6'0", 175, average shoulders, and can't wear it at all.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page