Do you babywear when eating out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are planning to babywear when the LO comes in February. We have a convertible car seat so are planning to leave that in the car and actually *hold* the baby when we bring him/her someplace instead of lugging around the infant carseat. BUT last night we were eating out and I noticed a mom with an infant bringing in the carseat and placing it next to her in the restaurant. That got me thinking: what do you do when you're eating out? Do you just hold baby the whole time? I know when they are older you can use a high chair but what about the first 4-5 months?

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#2 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
No experience yet but that's what we're planning to do. We plan to adhere as closely to the in arms phase as possible which means that the baby will be held by someone anytime he/she is not in the car or asleep in bed with us. Well, that's the plan anyway

Watching other people do it, it seems fairly straightforward although sometimes the wearer has had to turn a little in their seat to accomodate a slightly larger baby.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to wear ds in a ring sling all. the. time when we went out to eat. Usually he would bf & then fall asleep for most of the meal. We went out to eat about once a week when he was little (we were living somewhere with great restaurants). It got a bit harder when he was about 4-6 months 'cause he wasn't as content to stay quietly in the sling when I was sitting & was really grabby. But once he could sit in a highchair & eat it got easy again.

We used a bucket seat in a restaurant once. It was a pain 'cause I ended up putting him in the sling anyway & we had the seat to slug around.

The hard part is not dropping food on the baby!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 AM

I still really prefer the bucket seat while eating out with an infant, personally. : But it does depend more on what's going to make the baby content.
#5 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 01:12 PM

I wore my baby in a wrap while eating out and it was SO convenient! My hands were free to use silverware, baby was content (eating or sleeping). Super easy!

I did have to pay some extra attention to not dropping food on the baby

Later, when the baby was older and not so easily content when sitting still, I'd have her wrapped up unless or until she got fussy--then we'd take turns holding her, passing her around. I don't remember it being a problem.

We've also used our wrap as a seatbelt for the wooden restaurant high chair

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#6 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 01:15 PM

We would just wear the baby at restaurants most of the time (unless he wanted to get out and look around more).

Be prepared to dust crumbs off their heads, though. :
#7 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 01:28 PM

Ofttimes my son would fall asleep on the way to the restaurant, in which case I'd take him in the bucket and hope he stayed asleep while I ate. If he was awake, I'd put him in the sling.
#8 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 PM

I am with you in terms of leaving the car seat in the car- DS is almost 5 months old and I wear him pretty much everywhere, including eating out. We've seen couples set the car seat down on the floor next to the table (or resting atop a highchair) - our main concern is some one tripping over or spilling hot food onto our lo. I do get crumbs or ice cream on him now and then but I brush them off/wash the mei tai and he doesn't seem to mind!

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#9 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 01:55 PM

I have always worn our kids while eating out... until they could sit in somebody's lap or in a highchair at least.

Our kids have had a lot of crumbs and condiments dropped on them but they're okay.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#10 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Our son is 8 weeks old, and I usually hold him in the sling when we eat out. We also have a stroller that lays all the way flat (we have a convertible carseat, so no bucket seat), and he has slept in that once or twice as we ate, but he's usually sleeping/eating in the sling, or just being held by someone else.
#11 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i always had my kids in a sling/carrier, in arms or on my lap while i ate. this goes for at home as well as out. i always have had the thinking that meals are a family time so they have always been at the table from day one.
#12 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Babywearing whilst sitting does not work for us. Well, I don't mind but she objects loudly! As a tiny she was happiest either in the pram (if asleep) or being held. As a bigger baby she is happiest either in a highchair or on someone's lap.

I have one of those cloth chair things that fits over a normal chair which is invaluable as not everywhere has a highchair (or one with working straps).
#13 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 PM

I always ate with my LO in a carrier... still do sometimes, although now she grabs my food! When she got older, we let her sit in the high chair at the restaurant, but she was happy to be in the carrier when she was little. And she did get lots of food on her head, but it comes off!

Ruth, mama to 2 little monkeys and owner of Zerberts
Helping you find the perfect baby carrier! Risk Free Shopping and FREE SHIPPING!
#14 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 08:26 PM

We've done sling, wrap, meitai, bucket, stroller, laps, highchair... and sometimes more than one during a single meal.

My best advice? Be prepared to be flexible and always sit at a table and never a booth. You'll have more options that way.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#15 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 08:34 PM

We wore or carried DS at restaurants. The hardest age was about 5 month when he wasn't ready to sit in a high chair, but wanted to grab everything! Even now, at 16 months, he usually starts out in the high chair, but ends up in our lap.

I only brought in the car seat a few times and every time I ended up regretting it. I love carrying my baby, but hate having the car seat in the other hand.

Mama to three

#16 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Ergo on the front while eating out, most often. I could even do the prep at the Mongolian Bar-B-Que.

Worked until he got too tall - and I couldn't eat over him!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#17 of 25 Old 09-13-2009, 09:10 PM

We used the bucket once when DD was asleep on arrival. Then she woke up and I used the ring sling. At 6 months she now just sits on my lap unless she is sleepy.
We always get a table, not a booth so there is room to sit a little further back. I tried a booth with DD in a ring sling and there was no chance we would fit.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#18 of 25 Old 09-14-2009, 12:38 AM

Well, it'll really depends on the baby. For my first two, I was able to always wear them when eating out (until they were old enough for high chairs and even then I still wore them). Then came my third. Totally different ball game. He's just 6 mos old and the boy does not sit still. He jumps in the carrier and grabs anything in sight and toys do not entertain him when there's my fork, my food, my plate, my napkin...So, for him, I bought this cheap, but in good condition, infant carseat to use just at the restaurant. We (my family) probably look really funny when we walk in the restaurant. I wear him in and my husband carries the empty carseat. But, I'm so happy! I get to finish my meal. Though, with three kids under 4, our restaurant meals don't usually last more than 30-45 minutes! LOL I put baby in the carseat next to me once my food is in front of me, so that I can maximize the amount of time I have to eat.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#19 of 25 Old 09-14-2009, 12:43 AM

We did both.

We ate out with M in a sling on me but since we had the bucket if she was already asleep I'd leave her in it until she woke up.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#20 of 25 Old 09-14-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemizflava View Post
i always had my kids in a sling/carrier, in arms or on my lap while i ate. this goes for at home as well as out. i always have had the thinking that meals are a family time so they have always been at the table from day one.
This is what we did as well for the most part. We never had the easily detachable bucket seat, anyway, so it was a giant pain to unbuckle and buckle it back in.

Plus if you're eating dinner, you know the baby will want to have some dinner too. :

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#21 of 25 Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 PM

I used to put the baby in a back carry, then turn my chair around.

Now, he sits in a high chair.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#22 of 25 Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM

I usually wore DD2 (the first baby that I wore) and so far I'm always wearing DS2. Occasionally I would use the bucket with DD2, but mostly she didn't want to be in the darn thing. She hated it awake and rarely slept in it. DS2 will be moving into a convertible seat with in the next month or two (his bucket will expire in November) so we won't even have the option then.

I prefer a sling for the most part at first. Easier for me to nurse in. Once they are bigger and can control their head better I prefer a mei tai. Then I can wear them on the front to nurse if they want or I can put them on my back if we aren't at a booth.

Leigh

#23 of 25 Old 09-17-2009, 02:47 AM

If baby is already asleep, then I leave her in the bucket and take her in. I either put her on the booth seat next to me or on the floor next to my chair. I don't like the upsidedown high chair or the sling- too many rushing around waiters and people for my comfort. I occasionally put her in the Ktan while I'm eating, but I have to be careful to put her in so I can eat right handed- otherwise dinner takes too long!
#24 of 25 Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM

We wear in the sling and never used the buckets most likely because we did not have them. By the time my kiddos got too big to be worn we put them in highchairs.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#25 of 25 Old 09-18-2009, 01:54 PM

We don't have a baby bucket. I've never wanted or needed one. I don't typically wear my DD in restaurants because she's not a fan of being worn while seated, but she has always done fine "in arms." DH and I usually take turns holding her while the other eats. I can usually eat over her, but I'm a food klutz and she usually gets stuff all over her. We hold her at the dinner table at home every night, too, so she's used to it. I think almost every article of clothing she owns is covered in curry! I'm not allowed to drink coffee while I'm holding the baby, anymore, though - That was bad.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page