spam me with slings/carriers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an Infantino Sling rider and a (dare I say it) a Baby Bjorn, which gave me inflamed ribs with my last baby. Please help me pick out better baby wearing slings/carriers! I live in GA and it is HOT most of the year. I weigh just under 200 pounds at 5'7" and have DD sized breasts. Thanks for your help.
#2 of 16 Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I made a sling & a stretchy wrap & then bought an ergo. I LOVE my sling but use it less now as ds is 26.5lbs & I find it a lot of weight on one shoulder & so now the ergo is my go to carrier. I made the stretchy wrap when ds was already 3 months old & almost 20lbs so it didn't get much use but I think if I'd had it sooner I might have liked it in the newborn phase.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 16 Old 09-16-2009, 01:40 AM

I always prefer wraps, but a woven wrap will be cooler than a stretchy wrap most times. EllaRoo is a particularly thin and breathable one.

Mei tais are a cooler alternative that I like almost as much

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#4 of 16 Old 09-16-2009, 10:13 AM

I highly recommend Sleeping Baby Productions. Excellent quality ring slings at a great price and Jan is the sweetest WAHM EVER!

''''

#5 of 16 Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM

Are you interested in wrapping? If you are, Wrapsody makes a gauze wrap that is really light weight. Action Baby Carriers are pretty light weight for a SSC. And if you like mei tais, you could find one make out of solar veil which is supposed to be great for warmer weather. Don't know about the long term comfort of it though since I've never used one.

Ruth, mama to 2 little monkeys and owner of Zerberts
Helping you find the perfect baby carrier! Risk Free Shopping and FREE SHIPPING!
#6 of 16 Old 09-17-2009, 03:28 PM

I don't want to alarm you, but please take a look at this article before using the Sling Rider again:
http://baby-carrier.blogspot.com/200...ag-slings.html

As for other carrier choices, it is really going to depend on whether you want one shouldered or two shouldered carries. If you like the basic concept of the Sling Rider, head on over to Sleeping Baby Productions. Jan has a wonderful selection of slings at very reasonable prices, and is just so wonderful to work with. If you sew at al, she also has great instructions for making your own ring sling. I have a number of slings made by her, and have started making some of my own as well. Her directions are clear and easy to follow.

If you are looking for 2 shouldered carries, either a mei tai or a wrap would be good. There are a number of great choices in lighter more airy woven wraps, that are fairly comfortable even in warmer weather. Good ones to consider are Didymos Waves or linen blend wraps, or possibly Natibaby linen blend wraps (have not had a chance to try these myself yet, but they get good reviews). Girasol and Neobulle also make wonderful 100% cotton wraps in so many beautiful colorways that it might be hard to pick just one!

My favorite lightweight mei tai is Freehand. It is light, not too thick, folds up small, and just a great overall mei tai.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#7 of 16 Old 09-17-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=thtr4me;14396791]I don't want to alarm you, but please take a look at this article before using the Sling Rider again:

Yeh, I didn't like the sling rider due to most of what she said. If anything I have learned to follow my instincts as a Mom. It felt like putting a baby in a pocketbook. I want something that holds her against me in a natural position. Thanks
#8 of 16 Old 09-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=GAjenn;14397773]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtr4me View Post
I don't want to alarm you, but please take a look at this article before using the Sling Rider again:

Yeh, I didn't like the sling rider due to most of what she said. If anything I have learned to follow my instincts as a Mom. It felt like putting a baby in a pocketbook. I want something that holds her against me in a natural position. Thanks
Wow... Never used on of those but my heart sank when I saw that picture of that baby's face smashed in the side....

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#9 of 16 Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
I highly recommend Sleeping Baby Productions. Excellent quality ring slings at a great price and Jan is the sweetest WAHM EVER!
I have used her site to sew baby stuff before, so it would probably be good to support her!
#10 of 16 Old 09-28-2009, 09:04 PM

OP, I'm a very similar size to you (except with size I breasts!) and I have so many carriers that work well for me. I love my ring sling from maya wrap, I have a woven wrap that is fantastic (girasol!), I loved my moby wrap (stretchy wrap) when ds was newborn (and it was colder), we have an ergo DH loves. I'm also in the South and it's hot and I haven't had a problem with anything except the moby. I'm dying to get a beco next.... similar to the ergo but with a infant insert and a little bit of a different fit that works better for some people.

There is a ton of info over on thebabywearer.com forums and lots of great info here as well!

Are you wanting something to wear around your house while doing dishes and whatnot or something when you're grocery shopping and running errands? It makes a very different decision depending on what you want I think.

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#11 of 16 Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 AM

I like a pouch for newborns, but my favorite carrier is the Ergo. I am about the same size as you (with DDDs) and the Ergo has been comfortable, fits right and worked with my son until after his 3rd birthday. And super bonus, my husband was happy to use the Ergo too. He didn't care for other styles
#12 of 16 Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 PM

I absolutely love the wrap slings from Didymos. www.I use them especially with the "cross carry" technique. For the moment I am still easily carrying my 10kg LO around on the front. And when she gets heavier, I can switch to the back. That's the easy thing about the wrap slings, you can use them in many different ways and put the baby in different positions as they grow. And the weight is devided over shoulders and hips.
They only problem for you might be the heat, although I have used mine all summer without any problems. They have some lighter summerweaves (limited editions). I had the summer version of the model "Jim". You can buy them straight from their website: www.didymos.com
#13 of 16 Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carhootel View Post
OP,

Are you wanting something to wear around your house while doing dishes and whatnot or something when you're grocery shopping and running errands? It makes a very different decision depending on what you want I think.
I want something to wear around the house and out and about. I also love to play soccer with my dog in the front yard. Thanks for your reply.
#14 of 16 Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 PM

Hi, just want to ask are you still using Infantino? I've read some problem about it that had cause some babies skull fracture due to carrier malfuncton. Is it already safe to be use it??Take care.

Anyway, I am not experienced with wrap nor sling but I can recommend a Soft Structured Carrier. You have mention that  "I live in GA and it is HOT most of the year", I think Action Baby Carrier will suits you because it is a light weight soft structured carrier which I think would be comfy to be used in Hot climate. I was already waiting for the arrivel of my ABC. I love the design I choose the happy design. Hope it arrive soon. love.gif

here is the link to the design I have choose. joy.gif

http://www.actionbabycarriers.com/shop/happy/

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

#15 of 16 Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 PM

I vote for a MT! I also live where it's hot a lot of the year, and I love my MT. Only thing myself (and babe) could stand in the summer months.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#16 of 16 Old 07-23-2012, 06:16 AM

I love my Ergo.  Other slings and carriers I used hurt my back and the Ergo was really comfortable.  I can still put my almost 3 year old in it, so you get a lot of use with it.  I also like it because the baby sits in it, which is better on their hips and legs.  

Mommy to Nora 2/19/08 and Valerie 10/19/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page