Ergo Lovers: Can I do a forward facing front carry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds likes to sit forward facing in a front carry and I want to have the option of a back carry as well. I'm thinking of buying an Ergo but haven't seen anyone wearing a fffc. Is it made to do that position as well?

TIA!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#2 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 01:12 PM

Nope, the Ergo isn't made for a FFC. I wear my DD on my back in it, though, so she is effectively "Front-facing."

If you want a bit more flexibility in terms of carrying (curled-up newborn carry, hug carry, front-facing, back carry, etc.), I'd recommend a Moby Wrap.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#3 of 10 Old 09-19-2009, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No on the front carry in the Ergo. But many babies that like to be forward facing are happy with just going on the back, which is also easier on your back.

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#4 of 10 Old 09-19-2009, 12:25 AM

No, it's not designed for that. There is a very small window of development and size where it can be used that way, but the short answer is no.

Additionally, there are some concerns as to the safety and developmental appropriateness of forward facing carries, and as such, I have never worn my son facing out. We either did high back carries, hip carries, or front carries facing in.
#5 of 10 Old 09-19-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I already have Moby but I was looking for something I can get on and off quicker and use for a back carry (which I just can't master with the Moby).

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#6 of 10 Old 09-19-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post
Thanks ladies! I already have Moby but I was looking for something I can get on and off quicker and use for a back carry (which I just can't master with the Moby).
Stretchy wraps shouldn't be used for back carries anyway, so I wouldn't sweat that one for sure.
#7 of 10 Old 09-19-2009, 01:00 PM

The hip position works well for the kiddos who want to face forward.

C wife to J, Mom to B, C and Jjumpers.gif Iblahblah.gif, and Pbabyf.gif

#8 of 10 Old 09-20-2009, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
Stretchy wraps shouldn't be used for back carries anyway, so I wouldn't sweat that one for sure.
I'm glad you said that! It just hasn't worked for us at all and thought maybe it was just me. I'd love to get a Didymos and do a rucksack carry but that looks hard to do too with a heavy wiggly 10 month old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofwait View Post
The hip position works well for the kiddos who want to face forward.
I wish I could do hip but I have back problems and have to have the baby centered or it throws my back into spasms. Dh loves the hip carry though!

#9 of 10 Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post
I'm glad you said that! It just hasn't worked for us at all and thought maybe it was just me. I'd love to get a Didymos and do a rucksack carry but that looks hard to do too with a heavy wiggly 10 month old.
I wouldn't say it's hard, but it's something that takes a few tries. You could definitely manage it
#10 of 10 Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 PM

No, it's not designed for front carry. Actually, babies aren't supposed to be carried facing out.

This is a great site for lots of information on carriers (See the section "Important, do not face your baby outward)

http://www.storchenwiege.com/babycarrierresearch.htm

I'm Megan , married to Steve, mama to Rowan (11/07) and thrilled to be 03/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page