Ergo question (bruising or broken blood vessels on baby's legs?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-27-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been using the ergo w/ my (big!! 16lb at least) 4 month old...the other day, I noticed that on both her shins, she has red marks that look a lot like broken blood vessels. Almost kind of like bruises, but red, not black and blue. I also noticed the last time I took her out of it, her calves and shin-area were almost purple. Has anyone had this problem? I'm thinking the ergo is just too wide for her still...I didn't get the insert because this was a hand-me-down carrier and she was already so big when I started using it...seemed pointless.

Any tips?

#2 of 11 Old 09-28-2009, 12:56 PM

I would guess that your baby is still too young for the Ergo. It's more about development than size... There are some "cheats" that you can do with a baby of that age though - without having to buy the insert

I do a terrible cheat with my 2 month old occasionally where I let her legs slide down through the waist strap - she sits where she's supposed to, her knees are bent and her legs from the knee down dangle through the strap. You can see her little toes out the bottom - super cute. Safe? Maybe - I don't go far like that. Comfortable? kinda.

There's also the cheat where you use a folded up receiving blanket at the bottom of the Ergo above the waist strap and "froggy" up one leg onto it while the other leg goes through the regular spot - that way there is not too much of a stretch for the baby.

good luck!

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#3 of 11 Old 09-29-2009, 06:19 PM

I would definitely try one leg froggied in and one leg froggied out. I find most babies are ready for the straddle required by the Ergo around 5-6 months -- every baby is different, obviously.

Although, re-reading your post -- I can't see how it would affect her calves and shins? I would expect to see red marks on her thighs, from pressure/friction of the carrier -- but how would a wide straddle affect her shins which shouldn't be in the carrier at all?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 11 Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 PM

I am having the same problem (and also have a big boy - 4 month old 17 pounder) with a moby-like wrap. How was your issue resolved?
#5 of 11 Old 09-24-2010, 08:55 AM

I can't remember if we had this exact problem but I know one thing I learned with the Ergo is to be sure their bum is right down in the pocket - when my son was starting to bounce himself up and down he could get into positions where the weight was on his legs/spine rather than his bum.

Don't know if that helps.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#6 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Hello,  did you find out what caused this bruising? I ask b/c the same exact thing happened to my daughter.  I never thought that it could be possibly due to the ergo. Then, I am thinking, did I massage her legs to hard. Very concerned about a blood disorder. Please let me know. Kindly, christina

#7 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Christina am pretty sure it was the ergo. Her legs were too short for it and it was cutting off her circulation. I switched back to the moby wrap until she was bigger and didn't have the problem again. I love to ergo and plan on buying another one for baby number 3 (due jn May)...I do think a softer wrap or sling like moby is better for when they're really little. It's hard not to freak out sometimes but thankfully, sometimes the easiest explanation is the right one.
If you switch carriers and your dc still has signs of bruising, call your ped, for sure.

#8 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Thank you SO much for your response. I am so happy to hear that is all that it was for you as it gives me relief concening my little one.  :-))

#9 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 05:08 PM

One last question, sorry...did you noticed the little broken blood vessels/bruises that day? I am pretty sure they weren't there the day I used it. They surfaced the next morning.  Again, thank you!

#10 of 11 Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM

It's called Petechiae. Cutting off circulation can cause this. It goes away in a few days.

#11 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 PM

Yes, petechiae my disappear in few days, but if your baby is having this which is not caused by the carrier I may suggest visiting your ped. Petechiae is cause by the incapacity of the cappilaries to filter accurately in which blood that passes through became visible through a red spots on the surface. So it will be better to have our baby's checked. Goodluck.

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

Tags
Babywearing , Ergo Baby , Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page