when can i back carry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i bought my becco when my DS1 was 9 months old, and wore him front and back all of the time, even pregnant with DS2. i really prefer to back carry because i am so short, that a baby on the front almost completely restricts my arms. well DS2 is only 5 months old, but has great head control, and is very near sitting independently. when can i back carry him? he loves to be in the becco, and i love to wear him, but i am desperate to move him to the back. so when did you all start back wearing with your little ones? also, has anyone ever worn two at a time? DS1 really misses being on my back, but i am usually wearing my little one. do you think i could wear DS2 on the front in my wrap, and DS1 on the back in the becco?
#2 of 10 Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 AM

I started playing around with wearing DD on my back at 10 weeks, and had her on my back daily by 4 months. Some people put their newborns on their backs. You can totally do it! Can you try putting your younger son on your back in the Becco and see how it goes?

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#3 of 10 Old 11-04-2009, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started back carries with a wrap around 5 months - definitely could've done it sooner but I was scared of dropping him.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 10 Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 AM

I had my dd2 on my back in the Beco at 3 months. I think with a newborn or very young baby who doesn't have good head control and some trunk control, the most appropriate back carry is a high back carry in a mei tai or wrap. But at 4-5 months, if baby is ready, it's fine to try a regular back carry in a wrap, MT, or SSC.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 10 Old 11-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Alex was on my back almost full time by 5 months (in a Beco). She also had good head control. You can use a wrap or a MeiTai to put a newborn on your back, but once they have head control, I think they're good with most carries/carriers.

ribbonrainbow.gif: mamas to one DD (5/08) and two DS's (11/9/10 @ 35wks)
blogging.jpgnocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgd.gif1pump.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gif
#6 of 10 Old 11-04-2009, 10:56 AM

I started with my son in the Ergo about 5 months. He really started to enjoy it around 6 months old when he could sorta look over my arm/shoulder. He doesn't like to ride back on my hubby yet because my hubby has a long torso so my son can't quite see over him.

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

#7 of 10 Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

awesome! glad to hear it, cuz i am soooo ready to have my front free! i love to baby wear, but im so short i can barely see over my son. ill give it a go tomorrow!
#8 of 10 Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 AM

echoing what everyone else has said! Go for it! I wore dd#2 on my back for the first time at 8 days old.

here's a pic: lol yes that is a large knife in my hand, I was making dinner...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=637110729

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#9 of 10 Old 11-05-2009, 12:31 AM

Did DD in a high back carry in my wraps at 2.5 months. Still preferred her in front though. I wear her in the Beco on my back all the time now (almost 4 months) with no issues.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#10 of 10 Old 11-05-2009, 12:39 AM

I had my baby in the Kozy Carrier when he was about 1 month... see their website for pics of how to newborn carry on your back.

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page