Is a Bjorn really so bad? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I may be oversimplifying here....but if it works for you, baby seems comfortable, I say go with it
#32 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 03:58 PM

I have a Mei Tai that I absolutely love, and wear DD facing in. We have a hand-me-down Bjorn that DH wears DD in, front-facing. It's not every day, but it is fairly frequent, and they both really enjoy it (DD just laughs and laughs in it, and sometimes falls asleep, so she doesn't seem uncomfortable). It's a pretty special thing for them, and DH definitely likes wearing her around the house. I know he won't use the Mei Tai, but what kind of carrier is similar to the Bjorn that baby can ride front-facing? FWIW, DH is a really big guy. TIA!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#33 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuamami View Post
I don't think so. I wore my dd in a Snugli all the time, and my SIL used a Bjorn with all her kids.

I will point out that the linked article in the pp was written by a chiropractor. Why don't you search for some studies on the connection between spondylolisthesis and baby carriers, and see if you can find any reputable ones that prove a connection?
Wouldn't a chiro be a good person to ask for advice on hip/spinal issues?
#34 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I have a Mei Tai that I absolutely love, and wear DD facing in. We have a hand-me-down Bjorn that DH wears DD in, front-facing. It's not every day, but it is fairly frequent, and they both really enjoy it (DD just laughs and laughs in it, and sometimes falls asleep, so she doesn't seem uncomfortable). It's a pretty special thing for them, and DH definitely likes wearing her around the house. I know he won't use the Mei Tai, but what kind of carrier is similar to the Bjorn that baby can ride front-facing? FWIW, DH is a really big guy. TIA!
Guys tend to like the Ergo - you might look into that?

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#35 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalGirl View Post
Bjorn is what mainstream parents use so it has to be evil, truth is if the baby is facing in there is no dangling by the crotch if baby is facing out they are hanging by the crotch I have seen babies hanging by the crotch in a Moby while facing out.
This is true too - I have always felt that the Moby facing out is just as bad as the Bjorn.

#36 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 06:21 PM

Facing out, in any carrier, isn't ideal for baby anyway.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#37 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaG View Post
Why would they allow this product to remain on the market if it were really causing profound harm?
Really? Cigarettes? Alcohol? Sports cars which can go 120% faster than the speed limit?

NO, i am not saying the risk is comparable, i am just (hopefully) illustrating that "it's available to buy" is NOT the same as "it is definitely safe/harmless".

I agree, facing a baby out in any carrier which carries under the crotch are isn't the best. My DD rode facing out inthe sling with her little legs froggied and crossed and always seemed comfortable/happy.

Also my DD screamed in the wrap and sling initially, it took a decent walk to settle her the first few times. After about a week just the smell of the wrap sent her off to sleep - everything is unfamiliar when you're 5 days old, sometimes crying in a sling doesn't mean they "don't like it" but that they don't know it, have some other issue going on (my XP hated wearing DD in the wrap because he would put her in it when she was crying to calm her down, and then say "she doesn't like it, she's crying" - well, yeah, she was crying before you put her in there!) or need a minor posture adjustment to feel good.
#38 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 08:27 PM

Well, I've worn both of my previous babies in slings. Then with this newest babe, I was having trouble feeling like he was secure enough in there was I was bending up and down emptying the dishwasher, laundry, etc.
So, I bought a Bjorn on Ebay (silly, silly me ), wore it 2-3 times and then promptly made an appointment for myself at the chiropractor...and no, I am not joking. I sold it back on Ebay the very next day.

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#39 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinches View Post
Is it because with the Bjorn, people typically face baby out, thus the "crotch" comments? Because, if the baby is facing towards mom, he isn't being "crotched", imo.
I would respectfully disagree with this. I have seen many babies facing inwards in Bjorns and none of them have their legs supported at all, let alone to the knee. I don't know how it would even be possible in the Bjorn, the fabric is too narrow to spread that far, even on the littlest baby.

I just had a look at the Bjorn website and all the babies have dangling legs. The fabric seems to go about as far down their legs as a disposable nappy from what I can tell.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#40 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 09:55 PM
npl

I'm interested in this thread, and wondering whether any other mainstream carriers are better than the Bjorn for supporting baby.
I have the Kelty Kangaroo that works differently to hold baby in than the Bjorn. You wrap the bottom part up around baby and velcro to create a snug pouch that cradles the pelvic area, with legs sticking out, and then the whole thing is buckled to the parent portion at the shoulders and the bottom.
I never felt that baby was "hanging", more like coccooned.
I tried googling a decent image to show what I mean, but I can't find one that shows the way the baby is cradled!
#41 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npl View Post
I'm interested in this thread, and wondering whether any other mainstream carriers are better than the Bjorn for supporting baby.
I have the Kelty Kangaroo that works differently to hold baby in than the Bjorn. You wrap the bottom part up around baby and velcro to create a snug pouch that cradles the pelvic area, with legs sticking out, and then the whole thing is buckled to the parent portion at the shoulders and the bottom.
I never felt that baby was "hanging", more like coccooned.
I tried googling a decent image to show what I mean, but I can't find one that shows the way the baby is cradled!
There is a picture down on this page. TBH, it doesn't look much better. To be ergonomically correct, the baby's knees need to be as high or higher than its bottom. Most mainstream carriers honestly suck. I really don't think they're going to do harm with average use, but if you wore your baby as much as some parents here (me included) I think the risks would go up. Some of the slings you can find at stores are OK, and thankfully, Moby, Beco and Ergo along with others are showing up more and more places!

#42 of 48 Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
npl

Thanks!
That image is the box front - which I have but didn't spot on google!
Since my newbie carrying days, I've since branched out, and much prefer my maya wrap sling for most uses, though I'm intrigued by the moby for a newborn - I think it would combine the good parts of the kangaroo and the maya wrap.
Definitely a huge change in what's widely available since I started parenting 10 years ago!
#43 of 48 Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Throwing out one suggestion, a UK carrier: www.wilkinet.co.uk It carries the baby froggied up and has the benefit of letting you put baby on your back at a relatively young age, which the bjorn doesn't. Plus you can face them outwards, should you choose to let them crotch-dangle.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#44 of 48 Old 12-03-2009, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
it never ceases to amaze me that people can't differentiate between something being potentially harmful and it causing harm to everyone. "my child escaped unscathed" is an argument i hear all the time for all kinds of things that are less-than-ideal or potentially harmful (formula feeding, starting solids too early, turning your baby's carseat forward facing at a year, whatever). Just because it didn't affect *your* child's spinal or hip development doesn't mean it isn't true that it can have a detrimental effect. Just as it's true that plenty of kids thrive on formula, while some fail to.

For me, I want to do what's ideal for the development of my child. Why use something that has the potential to do harm when there are hundreds of other, similarly-priced options that don't have that potential?!?! i seriously don't get it.
My sentiments exactly, Pixie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaG View Post
I was in the same situation--had an Ergo for my older son, but couldn't use it for my newborn, couldn't deal with the Moby wrap, etc. I used a Bjorn for the first few months until dd was big enough for the Ergo. I don't know. It worked for us, and I didn't feel like dd was "hanging from her crotch" as is the complaint (she was only facing inward). Why would they allow this product to remain on the market if it were really causing profound harm?
Wouldn't it be nice if we could trust manufactures to do the right thing and not follow the money, continuing to make unsafe products? Cigarettes have been mentioned but what about things like, oh, Infant Formula? When used in the way that it is marketed, breastmilk substitute can cause profound harm. What about situations like Dorel's (car seat company) refusal to recall certain car seats even after they had caused multiple seriously bad injuries? Or the continued sale of overhead-sheild car seats when they'd been proven to be dangerous? Infant "walkers" and "jumpers" have been proven to cause harm and are still available at most major retailers.
#45 of 48 Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 AM

I just saw this post on the homepage and don't normally post in babywearing since my dd is 3 but I did carry her for 2 years. Anyways, I did use the Bjorn (and a Snugli and a Hotsling, and a ring sling and a mei tai) when she was small. The hotsling when she was newborn and the Bjorn when she was about 2-3.5 months. She did like it facing out sometimes, but we didn't often wear her like that because she soon fell asleep in it. The thing is about the Bjorn is that you can only use it for such a short time. I was very conscious to make sure her hips were even and she was comfortable and all that. But around 3.5 months her legs became too chunky in the thigh and she became too heavy. One day in Target I was carrying her in it and looked down and her legs were blue. I immediately took her out and never put her back in. In my opinion, they are too expensive to use for such a short time. Looking back I would have wanted a ring sling for the newborn, bfing, and hip sling carries. And then I would get a Beco or something similar that can be used for longer than the Bjorn. Bottom line, I didn't think it was that *bad* just not useable for very long. And not worth the $ and not nearly as cute as the Becos

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#46 of 48 Old 12-06-2009, 12:27 PM

But with the Moby facing out you can frog the legs and kind of make the baby sit, leaning back, with a curved lower spine. At least that's how I used it a few times. Though that's not how they show it in the directions.
#47 of 48 Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
But with the Moby facing out you can frog the legs and kind of make the baby sit, leaning back, with a curved lower spine. At least that's how I used it a few times. Though that's not how they show it in the directions.
There is a wrap carry called the Buddha by some -- you can actually do it in a ringsling or pouch as well -- where the baby is sitting froggied facing out.

Casey
Babywearing Expert, Cloth Diapering Advocate and Breastfeeding Supporter from Nicki's Diapers
#48 of 48 Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Right, but with the Moby I have the legs out forward facing, but still with a curved lower back and the knees up. So like after you do the criss cross and pull up the horizontal strap, then you readjust the baby to pull his butt down lower and his knees up higher so he's leaning back further into you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page