Some Ergo Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-04-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have an Ergo and I thought by now (DS is 3 1/2 months, 24 inches, and about 13 lbs) it would work beautifully, but I tried it out yesterday and it's just not working for us.

DS LOVES the Moby and has to have his legs out (Hug Hold) so that hold in the Ergo should be perfect, but I'm not sure it's not straddling his legs too much? Is that possible? He otherwise fits great in there, but I'm afraid I am hurting his legs/groin area. We have the infant insert, but he hates to be in any carrier in that position. Gotta be tummy to tummy with legs out and "hanging".

Is he just still too little? He was a peanut at just 4.5 lbs and 18 1/2 inches at birth, but I thought he was a pretty good size now. Is this just the normal way younger babies sit in it for now or do I need to wait longer? I'm really craving something easier than the Moby for out and about.

Success after Infertility (PCOS) with Traditional Chinese Medicine. Mom to Lucas (8/17/09) our intact, non vaccinated , cloth diapered, natural birth, attachment parented son.
#2 of 13 Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

hmmmmm
Can someone at least tell me if I am hurting him or not by using it right now and having his legs spread a bit further apart than, say, the Moby?

Success after Infertility (PCOS) with Traditional Chinese Medicine. Mom to Lucas (8/17/09) our intact, non vaccinated , cloth diapered, natural birth, attachment parented son.
#3 of 13 Old 12-06-2009, 11:34 AM

If you put the infant insert in just by folding the bottom up to the tag and then putting it in folded in half then opened, so the top is basically just extending the top of the ergo to give head support... then you should be able to use it now. You can frog his legs up a little to help them spread less.

like this:
http://www.satara-inc.com/Files/Imag...0insert300.jpg
but that doesn't show the legs

my baby was more than happy to be like that at that age. He never liked me doing any different holds with the infant insert either-- I only used it as head support when I straddle his legs.
#4 of 13 Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 AM

Hi CrunchyKnitter- I'm not sure! I know that with my dd, when she was really little she refused that position in the Ergo, and then suddenly she was ok with it. I think that was around 4 months. What is difficult for out and about with the Moby? Maybe someone could give you some pointers to make it easier for now? I used to just leave mine on all day when we were running errands! Have you tried that, by chance?

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#5 of 13 Old 12-07-2009, 11:48 AM

I would give it another month. At 3 months DS was not comfortable with dangling legs in the Ergo because it spread his hips apart too much. He also hated the infant insert, but was fine with his legs froggied.

With my mei tai I tied the bottom to sort of cinch it tighter so DS's legs weren't spread so much. I never tried this with the ergo, but it might work.

I used to leave the Moby tied on all day and just pop DS in and out, but it can be annoying.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#6 of 13 Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 PM

ita with others around 4 months I would say my 3 didnt like the ergo until then

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#7 of 13 Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM

I had to purchase the new heart-to-heart infant insert in order for my 2month old to sit tummy to tummy comfortably in the ergo. He's almost 3months now and i still can't imagine that he'll ever be able to spread his legs out wide enough to be able to sit in the carrier without the insert.

Love of our life, born September 2009
#8 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 12:32 PM

He is definitely on the young side and the small side for a full-on straddle in the Ergo -- most babies are more like 4.5-6 months before they're fully comfortable. Your best guide is your baby -- some just develop that flexibility sooner than others. If he doesn't complain, then you're not hurting him.

One thing you might try is one leg in and one leg out -- put one leg in the froggy position, knee bent and foot paralell to the waist band, and one leg out, if he's not fully comfortable with both legs straddled.

With the Moby, have you tried pre-tying it with the knot on one side before you go out and about? I hate wrapping out in public, so I much prefer to tie it once and then pop baby in once we get where we're going. If I need to pop baby out for a diaper change or something I just leave the wrap on.

It won't be too long before your baby is ready for the Ergo -- just follow his cues!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#9 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Another vote for giving it another month or so. DD4 was about 4mo when she was ready for it. We used the Moby before that, though I am really loving the look of the new Heart2Heart infant insert for the Ergo and will probably get that next time around.

#10 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM

I am so incredibly pleased to see this conversation already going! My MIL just ordered me the organic blue embroidered Ergo for Christmas and I can't wait to get it! After much research and not much success with my current selection of slings, I decided on the Ergo because my son is a BIG boy.

He will be three months old on the 20th and he weighs 17 pounds and is 26 inches long. My question; should I order the newborn insert?

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#11 of 13 Old 12-14-2009, 06:34 PM

I started using the Ergo for my son at 2.5 months (no insert, just froggy legged in there) and he loved it. We have both LOVED it until last week actually. He has gotten fussy in general though, so I don't know if it is the Ergo or not. Now that he is just shy of 5 months, I thought he would fit with his legs out, but still seems to be too stiff in the hips. maybe another month?

Onward we ramble, and westward we ride!
#12 of 13 Old 12-14-2009, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Do you have an infant insert? For those who do, does it work?

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#13 of 13 Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZoeJane View Post
I am so incredibly pleased to see this conversation already going! My MIL just ordered me the organic blue embroidered Ergo for Christmas and I can't wait to get it! After much research and not much success with my current selection of slings, I decided on the Ergo because my son is a BIG boy.

He will be three months old on the 20th and he weighs 17 pounds and is 26 inches long. My question; should I order the newborn insert?
Ha! My son has the same stats and will also be 3months on the 20th, (i thought i had the biggest 3month old). What's spookier is that i bought the organic blue embroidered ergo! I love it and i'm absolutely thrilled that my husband doesn't mind the embroidery and so will use the carrier also.

I definitely still find it necessary to have the newborn insert because his legs are just not spreading enough to sit comfortably yet. But make sure to get the heart-to-heart insert, not the old one.

Here's a demo of how to use it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg-eX1BqvjY

Love of our life, born September 2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page