What Do You NOT Do While Wearing Your Baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a first time mom - my DD is 2.5mos. I imagined slinging her all the time at home and doing whatever I needed to do - I figured I would need to put her down to shower and use the stove/oven, and that would be about it. However, I just haven't gotten the hang of doing dishes while wearing her, and our laundry area is in the basement, which I don't feel comfortable walking up and down the stairs with hampers and her in the sling because I can't see the stairs in front of me. I don't like wearing her when I'm doing general tidying, as it involves a lot of repetitive bending over which disturbs her if she's drowsy. Vacuuming is too loud for her to be so close, etc. As it turns out, I pretty much never wear her at home. I hold her a lot when I'm not doing any of the things I mentioned, but I only use the slings when we go out.

When I want to do something that I can't hold her for, I wait until she is either sleeping, (she usually naps in her bouncy seat) or if she is content I will put her in her bouncy seat and leave her looking out the window while I run a load of laundry down or something that only takes a minute. I always pick her up if she starts making unhappy sounds, but I just haven't gotten the hang of being the babywearing mama I thought I would be, and I don't know if I ever will.

Some of it may also be because I am rarely alone with her all day. DP works from home most of the time, only being gone 3 mornings a week until about noon. So a lot of the time if she is awake and I need to do something, I can have him hold her for awhile because he doesn't have a set work schedule and can take breaks to help me out and doesn't mind. So it's often easier for me just to wait until he can take her, rather than try to do things while wearing her.

So I'm just curious what you all do and don't do while wearing your babes. I'm wondering if I'm missing something that would make it easier.

Cat - SAHM to Lilah 10-19-09! Happily Unmarried to DP Our new life =
#2 of 25 Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 PM

True confession: I never got the hang of doing anything with a sling. The kid just felt too vulnerable and sticking out.

But at six or seven months, when I started using a backpack, it all changed. With the baby on my back, I could cook, vacuum, everything!
#3 of 25 Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 PM

i couldnt do anything with him on the front.

once i could wear him on the side or back, i could do dishes and laundry.

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **
#4 of 25 Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 PM

I wear my 5.5-month-old while doing some things around the house and also for laundry (I don't have much choice, since we live in an apt without a washer and dryer in our unit... can't leave baby in the apt. alone while I go down the hall!), but I also find it difficult to wear him on my front for things that require lots of bending, I don't wear him when cooking, etc. I am starting to wear him on my back some, which helps a lot. A few thoughts/suggestions:
1) I find it easier to do things around the house using a two-shoulder carrier (e.g., a mei tai) than using a one-shouldered ring sling.
2) If you are comfortable starting to wear your baby on your back sometimes, you can start doing a high back carry in a mei tai. I don't have personal experience with this, but you can find instructions, etc. online.
3) If having your partner hold your baby, putting her down sometimes, etc. is working for you, I would not worry about how much you are babywearing. You may also find that you wear her more as she gets older.
#5 of 25 Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 PM

That was my main reason to get a Mei Tai and Woven Wrap to wear DS in my back. with the exception of vacumed. DS hate the lousy noise of the vacum,but I know many babies that loves the noise...LOL

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#6 of 25 Old 01-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I never mastered doing things with ds around the house. And he was so content to be put down for short periods that it wasn't necessary. I think with our next baby I will need to more because he'll have me so busy!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 11:56 AM

I would def. recommend trying a mei tai. They are super easy to use and very comfortable! It took a little getting used to, but I can get the dishes done with him in the front(though it takes a little longer!) My LO is 3 mos. I haven't put him on my back yet, but I imagine that would be easier for getting more things done!
Good luck!

Happily married to my hero and SAHMama to 4 precious gifts from God
#8 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Maybe try a mai tei? I can only get things done if I'm wearing my 2mo in a mai tei or a stretchy wrap, not in a sling. With the sling I always feel like I need to keep a hand on him unless I'm just walking around, so it defeats the whole hands-free purpose.

Dishes work fine in a mai tei (although it takes longer) and I can do or fold laundry as long as I've put him down for two minutes so I can take the basket downstairs and run back up to get him - like you, I feel that it's not safe to walk down stairs carrying him in a front carry and a basket of laundry. Basically, I can do most household chores (except for anything using the stove) so long as it's okay that I take a bit longer to do them.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#9 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
About the only thing I didn't do was wear her when cooking something that might pop then when she got bigger I stopped when cooking on the stove because she started trying to grab stuff but other then that I wore her for anything else. I used a Mei Tai for the baby baby stage and started wearing her on my back at 2-3 months old I think then switched to strictly the back carry in the Ergo from about 7 months on.

Seriously?
#10 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM

I do not fry or saute with a baby strapped to me. I will mix and chop and prepare but thats about it. I do not mow the lawn either. I do just about everything else, including exercise on the Wii fit because he loves it. But I do most everything with a backcarry, front carries made it all too hard for me.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#11 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM

I think being a babywearing mama is sometimes more about the relationship between mother and child more than the actual "wearing" of the baby. you are willing to stop what you are doing to care for the needs of your baby, and you fit everything else in around that. She's not stuck on the floor all day, and a lot of times I think wearing in public makes SO much more sense than wearing at home anyway! And, you'll find that babywearing goes in waves; some months it's all you do, and other times you will realize days have gone by without a carrier seeing the light of day. For me, it's all about what works for each situation, and it sounds like you've got that figured out already. keep it up and, maybe try a back carrier if you haven't already...
#12 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywaaz View Post
I think being a babywearing mama is sometimes more about the relationship between mother and child more than the actual "wearing" of the baby. you are willing to stop what you are doing to care for the needs of your baby, and you fit everything else in around that. She's not stuck on the floor all day, and a lot of times I think wearing in public makes SO much more sense than wearing at home anyway! And, you'll find that babywearing goes in waves; some months it's all you do, and other times you will realize days have gone by without a carrier seeing the light of day. For me, it's all about what works for each situation, and it sounds like you've got that figured out already. keep it up and, maybe try a back carrier if you haven't already...
I think for me it was mostly about convenience. My daughter was intense and high needs, if I hadnt been a babywearer I would have probably jumped out of a window!

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#13 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywaaz View Post
Ditto to all that. I wear my LO when it's convenient to me (usually when we're out & about) and the rest of the time, he's in my arms. I set him on the floor for a minute or hand him to DH when necessary. I don't "do" things while I'm wearing him -- I'm tiny and have back issues so bending etc. with the extra weight is too tough & awkward anyway. I don't think babywearing is about the "wearing", it's about having your baby see the world from your perspective. It's about her being close to you. It's about her having her needs tended to quickly. It's about her not being left in a playpen or bouncer all day long. You don't actually have to "wear" your baby for all those benefits. The only time I find baby-wearing to be significantly more beneficial than carrying my DS is when I'm trying to get him to sleep (then my moby-style wrap works miracles!)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#14 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM

I second the suggestions about gettingf a mei tai and doing a back carry. Personally, I have never liked ring slings or ouches much... Mei tais and podaegis feel so much safer to me.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#15 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 AM

I can't do anything in a front carry, except go for walks and nurse.

In a back carry, I do everything except for laundry and going to the bathroom. I'm short and have to bend over really far to get clothes out of the washer. And I prefer to pee alone.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#16 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 AM

I do the kangaroo carry with my son

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44snbbszTps

Get 5 yrds of jersey knit fabic, cut it in half long was (so you have two 5 yrd strands) and you will have two wraps.

He was very high needs, as a littler baby (3-9 mo ish) and vacuuming always put him to sleep. And yes, his hearing is fine, but I can see how you would be concerned. Personally, I think a lot childhood toys are much louder.

Doing the dishes and cooking, and laudry, I all did in min, although I didn't have stairs. It totally covers them, even their legs in multiple layers, no no worries there. Also I found it's kinda like being pregnant again, only baby is on the outside, it's pretty much the same size.

It was purely out of convenience, and I loved every minute of it.
#17 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
Also I found it's kinda like being pregnant again, only baby is on the outside, it's pretty much the same size.
YES!!! LOL!! I think it's so funny when I'm out in public, people do a double take -- his feet will be hanging out so they think I'm pregnant but the feet stick out of my belly!! It's hilarious!! (Not quite as funny: trying to get up from the couch!)

I wish I could wear him more but he's like 25 pounds and my back just can't take it except when I'm walking.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#18 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 11:43 AM

I can't do the dishes either. I can vacuum because dd doesn't mind the noise. I can go downstairs with dd in a wrap, because I can bend to see the stairs, while with her in a sling it would be more difficult.
I'd recommend a wrap or a mei tai for back carry. We got our mei tai but dd likes only the wrap. I think I'll keep her in the wrap for another month or two, then we'll graduate to mei tai

caffix.gif

#19 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 11:57 AM

My DD would scream anytime I put her down as an infant, so I wore her constantly. (Except while pooping or showering.) I wore her in the Moby wrap and she would nurse then fall asleep, then wake up and nurse again...

It was a little harder to do dishes, but not too bad once I got the hang of it. The vacuum didn't bother her. It didn't even wake her up! I was careful when cooking things that popped, but usually I could tuck her in well so that she wasn't exposed.

I don't know what I would have done without my wraps! Lost my mind for sure...

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#20 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 PM

When I'm doing things around the house, I use the moby.

I can tie her tight to me and when she falls asleep, I tuck her head into the cross fabric to keep it to my body and not flopping out when I bend.

And if anything, I find she sleeps best there- I can vacuum, do the dishes, the laundry, and then lie down on the couch and have a nap with her when it's all said and done

(She is 2.5 months, 11-12 pounds and I wear her in a snuggle hold)

os it bad that I do wear her when I'm pooping? LOL. She'd scream bloody murder if I put her in the play yard or a bouncy seat. I have to wait for my husband to get home to take a shower

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#21 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 AM

I also used the moby since birth. He also cried whenever not in the wrap so I had to do everythign with him in it. We also lived on the second floor and I had him and a laundry basket to take down to the apartment laundry room basement. I also washed dishes and prepared lunch/dinner. I just didn't cook. I vacumed because he liked the sound and I even went poop/pee. I didn't plan to wear him that much, but it was the only way he wouldn't cry. The wrap wa a total lifesaver for me. People always ask if he was cholic and I say no, but I know if I didn't have the wrap he would have been. It really was the only time he wouldn't cry.

Now that he's 9 months I backpack him in the ergo or mei tai.
#22 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 05:10 PM

I have a 2 month old and I carry her in the wrap (moby-style) mostly. I own a pizzeria and even carry her there while working. Making pizzas (not using the oven! lol!), doing dishes, waiting tables, refilling drinks... not to mention chores around the house. She prefers to be upright so she's in the tummy to tummy carry mostly, although I faced her out at the pizzeria last night because she wanted to see. I haven't tried back carries yet, but I have a mei tai and will try a high back carry with her soon.. yay for that suggestion!

I go to the bathroom, vacuum (she doesn't mind the noise either), do dishes, laundry--bending to the side lol, or DD/3yo "helps".

Bending is hard.. but I guess "better" for ya since you HAVE to use your legs vs. your back.
And cooking isn't so good..
But basically it works for lots of things, as long as I can handle it and it's not too hot or back-tiring.
Using T-Tapp principles, tuck butt, bend knees, keep abs in.. helps with the back issues. I just get busy and forget.

DH (09/98), DD1 (01/07), and DD2 (11/09)
We
#23 of 25 Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Can't do the dishes or most chores that require bending.

How old were your babies when you started doing the back carry? Mine is 6 weeks.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#24 of 25 Old 01-11-2010, 12:22 AM

About the only thing I don't usually wear my son for is cooking. And if it's something simple and not dangerous, I wear him for that too.

I do think it is awkward as anything to do certain chores (hello, dishes!) while wearing him, but my choices seem to be that either I wear him and do dishes, or the dishes don't get done. He doesn't really play by himself yet or anything.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#25 of 25 Old 01-11-2010, 04:26 PM

I'm not fond of slings myself. I prefer wraps and that is what I've carried both babes in from the beginning. They feel safe and secure in there, and I can bend over and everything without them even moving really. I did/do everything while wearing my babies. No frying or anything like that, but everything else is pretty much fair game. I also carry them on my back when I need to get HANDS ON doing something. It makes everything so much easier and niether of them have seemed to mind. I even have a MayaMama Water wrap and take showers with the younger one on. Just have to make sure the water is the appropriate temp

Mama to L 9/11/08 & S 9/23/09 "A family is a unit composed not only of children, but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold" ~Ogden Nash

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page