Ergo - Am I doing something wrong? My back hurts! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My gorgeously chubby 8 month old is 22 pounds. My back, with her worn on my back, starts to ache within 20 minutes or so. Mostly upper back, shoulders, neck. By the time I've walked to get my son from school, hung around the school yard a bit, and come home, my shoulders are burning and I'm dying to get her off my back (about an hour)...
But I really like back carrying her otherwise!

I read so many positive reviews of the Ergo, see people proclaiming that their 40lb child feels like a featherweight in it....is this all hype, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#2 of 6 Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you have the shoulder straps & chest straps tightened sufficiently? I find I need to snug them up pretty well & kind of bounce ds up a bit as I do so.

Try to be aware of your posture as well - if you're hunching forward it can put strain on your back.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 6 Old 01-23-2010, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely well-tightened - actually, I wondered if overtightening could cause a problem. And I do the bounce, too.

Posture could certainly be an issue.

#4 of 6 Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
I read so many positive reviews of the Ergo, see people proclaiming that their 40lb child feels like a featherweight in it....is this all hype, or am I doing something wrong?
I have worn my 40+ pound 5-year-old in the Ergo without it seeming like a strain (except when climbing stairs, but there the problem was with my legs, not my back). I'm not sure what could be causing the pain you describe, but I would definitely check the tightness of the straps, as the previous posters recommended. You want the child snuggled right up against you.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#5 of 6 Old 01-23-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

The straps are definitely tight enough - almost as tight as they can get. I wonder if it's because I have the older version of the Ergo? It seems like it is quite low on her back, and could benefit from being bigger/higher.

#6 of 6 Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 PM

Honestly, I couldn't get the Ergo comfortable for me. It felt like it was smashing DD2 up against my back... so that hurt my back. If I loosened the straps, then my shoulders/neck hurt.

I sold it and instead got a Two Mommas Designs buckle tai... the shape and structure just works better for me. IMO, it's all about personal preference... interestingly, the Sachi mei tai that I LOVED with DD1, I don't so much love with DD2... DD1 was a near-constant nurser, whereas DD2 is not... so they definitely 'sit' differently when I hold/wear them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page