carrier for my 32 lb, 37 inch tall 2 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-24-2010, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wanting to try wearing my toddler again, and looking for a new one. Anyone wear such a big guy? What works?

Bonnie, married to David, mother of Loki born 1/12/08, step-mom of Aislinn, Waldorf student born 1998, nanny, student birth doula, working PP doula, still bed-sharing, SAHM.
#2 of 9 Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds is almost 30lbs & I wear him in an ergo all the time.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 9 Old 01-24-2010, 07:30 PM

He's about as big as my 2 year old dd. I've had the most luck these days with the Babyhawk Oh Snap, since it's 2 inches taller and 1 inch wider. As much as I love the Ergo, it's not the greatest for tall kids, particularly if they're leaners. There's also the Toddler Patapum and the AngelPack, both of which are taller than the Ergo.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 9 Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 PM

Up until this past year my go-to carrier has been my mei-tei with a dd who was a bit heavier than yours at age 2. The only problem I had is that I'm short (5'3) and I seemed to run out of space for her when wearing her. Her legs would get in the way, etc...

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#5 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 AM

My guy is about the same size as yours and I have to say that last month we used the ergo a lot but I noticed he was definitley out growing it. I tried him in a toddler hawk and if I wasn't pregnant and way too exhausted to carry him we probably would have gone with that.

The reason we find he is outgrowing the ergo is because of his height. The back is at the bottom of his shoulder blades and he complains about that and my DH says his weight isn't distributed as comfortably as before. I also noticed that he is so tall that when he falls asleep the hood doesn\t cover his head and his legs don't have the support they used to.

I think you are going to want to look for either a long woven wrap or a structured soft carrier with a longer back.

Hope you find something you like.
#6 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM

I would second the Oh Snap. It is designed really well for toddlers. Also, I've heard really good things about the Toddler Patapum.

Ruth, mama to 2 little monkeys and owner of Zerberts
Helping you find the perfect baby carrier! Risk Free Shopping and FREE SHIPPING!
#7 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 PM

I have an Ergo and a Beco 4th Gen - I have stopped using the 4th gen since I got the Ergo. The Ergo is much better. I have a 24 pound girl and a 31 pound girl and both feel GREAT on my back in the Ergo.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#8 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 05:14 PM

I personally use a good supportive woven wrap or a wrap-conversion MT for my big, tall 32lber. When it comes to SSCs, I prefer ones with taller backs like the Oh Snap or Becos as opposed to Ergos.

Casey
Babywearing Expert, Cloth Diapering Advocate and Breastfeeding Supporter from Nicki's Diapers
#9 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickisDiapers View Post
I personally use a good supportive woven wrap or a wrap-conversion MT for my big, tall 32lber. When it comes to SSCs, I prefer ones with taller backs like the Oh Snap or Becos as opposed to Ergos.
It did feel weird to me, switching from the Beco to the Ergo because of the lower back. I felt like the baby was leaning way back and it freaked me out. But - the level of padding in the Ergo vs. what is in the Beco 4th gen - there's just no comparison. I find the Ergo so much more comfortable. I loved my Beco before I knew any different... but now when I use the Beco it feels cheap and flimsy to me, and the Ergo is cushy and comfy. The babies prefer the Ergo, too. They will point to it if I try to use the Beco instead.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page