Why would you want a MT over a SSC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am selling my Kozy Carriers on craigslist. I have sold one and have one left. My problem is, I don't like them, and I don't like telling lies. The lady who is going to look at it tomorrow has a 5 month old. I had no luck using any carrier like this at that age - only the bjorn worked for us then - so I don't know how well demoing with her child is going to work - and I don't know if mine will be especially happy to try this out now (they are used to the ergo).

I liked the MTs when the girls were newborns. They're too fussy for me now - the ergo is just so much easier to throw on.

But I know some people really like the MTs.

So give me some reasons so I don't feel like a big liar selling this.

I know my not liking something doesn't really make it bad... ie I hate bell peppers and plenty of people love them... but I feel like I have to really show off why this is great, and I don't really have a reason for it. I don't use it. I don't like it. But I know other people do. So why?

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 03:27 PM

I love my MT because it's comfortable for both DD and me. It distributes the weight so well that I can wear Peepers for hours on end (and she's over 20 pounds) and it doesn't hurt my back. I'm only 5' tall but it's perfect for me. The only negative is that it is a bit inconvenient to put on and take off, and it's not super easy to nurse in it, but the Mei Tai is the only carrier I've used and even wanted to use since Peepers was a couple of months old.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 02-01-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I love my MT because it's comfortable for both DD and me. It distributes the weight so well that I can wear Peepers for hours on end .

I spent more $ for an upper-end Bjorn than my MT (Kozy), and the Bjorn bothered my back after only a few minutes. I also like the versatility of the MT, that you can wear it front or back or hip carry. DS is really comfy in it. I like that the MT an fold up to a small size for transport (Bjorn wouln't fit in diaper bag for me). Not all carriers work for all people. Good luck!

Happily married to my hero and SAHMama to 4 precious gifts from God
Old 02-01-2010, 03:50 PM

I used mei tais exclusively for ds from about 3 months on (before I used a stretchy wrap). I tried really hard to be a wrap person but the mei tai comfort, ease of use, and flexibility couldn't be beat. Like pp said I loved how it could be worn on my front, hip, or back and the size could be adjusted by rolling the bottom. I never got in to structured carriers.
It IS different for everybody - and for every kid/wearer pair.
For dd I'm more a wrap person and never pull out mts so it just depends.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.
Fostering sisters aged, 6, 3.5, and 2yrs since Sept 2013.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 PM

I just cannot seem to get SSC's to fit me well, and I have tried quite a few. Mei Tais are also infinitely adjustable, where with an SSC, I am limited by the length of the buckle straps, which since I am small, usually were way to long. I could never get things tightened down enough. I also did not like that SSC's really structured waist band always pushed my pants down. Now I do like a padded waist MT, but I think it works for me since you tend to wear an MT waist in a different position than an SSC waist.

That being said, I am a wrapper at heart, and rarely use MT's anymore. DS is currently 30+ lbs, and will be 4 in March.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for answering. I think I feel a little better knowing other people DO like MTs... otherwise I feel kind of like a used car salesman, trying to unload something I know is bad. I just don't care for it, I prefer the ease of a SSC.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 02-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Pros of the MT:
high back carry
pulling baby close to you - eliminating the lean which can hurt your back
way more adjustable
great from newborn to toddler
great for front/hip and back carries

I'm sure there's more but I need to eat something soon!

still learning
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM

adjustability! I cannot get the ergo straps comfy on me but a MT I don't have to deal with buckles digging in to me and it's so personalizable - more so than a SSC

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
Old 02-06-2010, 07:20 AM

Flexibility! I can use my mei teis to wear both my 3 and 1 year olds, on front or back, and they are so easy to "adjust" for strap length (ie, to pull tighter, or leave looser) depending on whether I am wearing a coat, whether baby is wearing a coat, etc. For me, MTs are no-hassle carriers, much more so than SSCs.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:34 AM

I LOVE my mei tai. I have a MT and a ringsling and am using one or the other daily.

I made me mei tai when I was preggo and wore my toddler in it a bit, still do. I didn't wear her as a babe though so she's kind of awkward in it (I like wearing her in the sling) but weight wise she's fine. My babe is 4months old now and I love wearing him in it...he's 20lbs so for longer trips its great...still close to me, but my back is supported.

I would be honest...just say it didn't work for you, you prefer the ease of use of a SSC but know plenty of moms who love them.

ETA: I have been borrowing a Beco from a friend....its been sitting in my closet. I used it once....I really prefer my Mei Tai! Everyone's different!

User Tag List