Babywearing in Pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So i am 15 weeks pregnant with our second child and just beginning to pop. Our ds is 12.5 months old (and yes, for those wondering, it was most definitely planned )). I am at a loss because i am finding my normal carrier isn't working anymore... but my little guy still LOVES being worn.

I am an ardent Ergo lover, but have found that carrying him on the front is very uncomfortable for me and my growing baby, while on the back the strap cuts across my stomach.

I also have a Moby Wrap... but have never really gotten the hang of it... and love our Ergo more.

So, the main question is, have any of you attempted babywearing WHILE pregnant and if so, what carriers did you use? Any suggestions def appreciated!
#2 of 13 Old 02-26-2010, 05:19 AM

I used mei tais and woven wraps with my older son while I was pregnant. I could tie the straps of the mei tai or the tails of the wrap above or below my pregnant belly and found it comfortable.

I don't have much experience with the Ergo, but know that some mamas can use it during pregnancy. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

BebeWearing Mamas
Pouches, Ring Slings, Mei Tais, and Wraps to Keep Mamas and Bebes Close
#3 of 13 Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 AM

I used a Mei Tei. I could put dd1 on my back and tie the straps under my belly so it didn't bath me. Also maybe a hip carry using a ring sling would be better for you?

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#4 of 13 Old 02-26-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank y'all so much! I really appreciate it. I will have to see if i have any friends who i can try a mei tai or a ring sling out from. Thank you!
#5 of 13 Old 02-26-2010, 12:38 PM

I also used a fitted and ring sling. My DS was 1yo when I got pg with DD. I could then have him in a hip carry, which felt better on my every expanding belly. I wore him will about the last trimester when it was really uncomfortable and my slings got really tight.
Congrats on your pregnancy!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#6 of 13 Old 02-26-2010, 01:31 PM

#7 of 13 Old 02-26-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm 36 weeks right now and I back carry my 20 month old son in my Beco Butterfly II quite often. I was using my Kanga XT for back carries up until the waist strap just wouldn't fit anymore! I just cinch the waist strap under my tummy. It's certainly not as comfortable as when I'm not pregnant, but it's not bad.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
#8 of 13 Old 02-26-2010, 06:04 PM

I wore my DS (at the time not quite three) up until I was 8 mos pgs in my ergo. I could wear him on the front until about 3 mos (he was still nursing) and then we moved to the back exclusively. If you feel like the strap is "cutting into your stomach" you probably need to lower it down onto your hips more. It seemed a little looser, but I found it wasn't uncomfortable. I got it down low under my belly, more across the pelvis.

Good luck.
#9 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 04:09 PM

i have a sleepy wrap- its amazing once you figure out how to tie it, it becomes much less confusing! i recomend youtube'n it it allows me to put baby higher, closer to my face, and off of my bump! i had a friends 3yo in it the other day, simply to prove it could be done we just turned her out, and offcentered just a tad, and she was out of my face, and up off of my now overdue bump
#10 of 13 Old 03-03-2010, 12:31 PM

I am 32 weeks pregnant and I can carry DD (17mths - 25ish lbs? average weight) in both a ring sling (this is what I use for errands because you can pop her in and out fast) and a woven wrap on my back tied tibetan. This means there is nothing tied aroudn the waist at all and it is very comfy.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#11 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 12:21 AM

I'm 16 weeks pregnant right now and happily using my mei tai in a high back carry.
#12 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 10:17 AM

I am 22 weeks and we love our Onbu to carry my 2 year old. Nothing cuts across my waist, its nice. We do a high back carrie. I have a friend who used her Ergo through her whole pregnancy. She just wore the waist strap under her bump.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#13 of 13 Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 PM

this is a very old post but i just wanted to add that i'm 15 weeks along and enjoy wearing my 11.5 month old daughter. around the house i wear her in a rebozo (mostly back sometimes hip) or a kanga (traditional torso carry). neither puts any pressure on my belly. i prefer the ergo when i'm out, as i'm often carrying her for long periods and it remains comfortable for us both. i buckle the waist strap under my belly. it's becoming a bit challenging to carry her on the front or carry her plus other stuff, though. i think my days of full-time babywearing are coming to an end...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page