Babyhawk Oh Snap or Beco? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts on this...I want to buy a used SSC and am interested in the Beco Butterfly or Babyhawk Oh Snap. I am 5'9 and a curvy size 16/18, my husband is 6'5 with a lean build. Would one carrier work better than the other for any reason? Thanks in advance!
#2 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 01:24 AM

in my opinion, the beco butterfly really fits petite to average size wearers best. i'm a little bit shorter then you but about the same clothing size and i could not get it comfortable at all in a front carry. the back carry was a little better but not great. the oh snap on the other hand fits me wonderfully. with all of the adjustments it has, it should fit you husband well too.

hope that helps!

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#3 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
#4 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 11:36 PM

I adore my Beco for back carrying (I'm a size 12 was a 16 when i first got it). my mother who is 18/20 said it felt pretty good but she prefers the wrap carriers for carrying my DD.
#5 of 11 Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 PM

DH loves the beco (he is 6'2 and slim). I find it a bit diggy under the arms where the buckles are, but plenty comfy. I prefer to wrap, though.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#6 of 11 Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 AM

I recently got my beco and LOVE it. I now see why everyone raves about them. I've been able to do some longer walks while wearing with DS now that the sun has been shining. It's very comfortable. One of the perks I like about the beco, is that it has a layer between you and baby, which makes me feel more secure, especially when putting him on my back.

Lydia , wife to DH , mama to Titus (8-11-09) and we just started
#7 of 11 Old 03-20-2010, 04:36 PM

I just got a beco and I LOVE it - its my fave by far right now! That said, I'm tiny - 5'5" and 115lbs or something like that and I wear a size 1. So...the carriers that work for other people - like the Ergo - just don't fit me. If you can I would go somewhere to try the carriers on, or see if you can find some mama's in your area that have one and will let you try it out for an afternoon.
#8 of 11 Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 AM

Is there a pattern you like best in either of them? They'll both fit you, so I'd probably select based on features (insert vs. no insert, headrest vs. sleeping hood) and color.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies - www.granolababies.com
Everything for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#9 of 11 Old 03-21-2010, 03:02 PM

I'd go for the BabyHawk Oh Snap as well -- I agree that Becos tend to fit smaller to medium sized mamas better, and if you have broad shoulders, I don't think it's going to be the best fit for you. I get a lot of broader/taller/bigger-chested mamas who find the Beco too constricting through the shoulders, although the newer designs are definitely better than the older ones in this regard. If you do decide to try a Beco, go for one of the 2010 designs.

Quite honestly, your dh may have problems with just about any soft structured carrier -- I think the BabyHawk is a better bet for him in terms of potential fit, but it's not guaranteed. You'll just have to try it and see -- a lot of really big guys have better luck with non-structured two-shouldered carriers such as mei tais.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#10 of 11 Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM

I have a BabyHawk Oh Snap and I love it.

I was undecided between the same carriers as you are but the deciding factor for me was that I don't like how the the Beco has that piece in between mom and baby. I nurse all the time in my carriers and I didn't think that would be comfortable.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#11 of 11 Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 AM

I like them both a lot. They are both fantastic, well made carriers. I also agree with the thoughts about the fit of the Beco on various body types.

The Oh Snap crosses in the back, and I like that fit a lot.

I would second the suggestion to consider a Mei Tai too. They fit a variety of body types easily.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page