Back carrier that won't give me a horrid muffin top? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an Ergo and love it, but when I wear DS on my back the belt gives me a horrible muffin top. Seriously, it's bad. I'm so self-conscious of it now that I won't even use it in a back carry. I have a mei tai but would have to do a high-back carry, and I'd have to cross the straps across my chest so it won't hurt my shoulders, but then it gives me Madonna cone boobs. Not a pretty sight, either. So, magical baby-wearers, lead me to a back carrier I can love!

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#2 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 PM

A woven wrap tied tibetan. All the wrap and the knot is up around your chest. It's above your boobs too, so no weirdness there.

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

#3 of 16 Old 03-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Chunei? They go all around the body, so even if you do have a muffin top, nobody would see it

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#4 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I put my ergo strap around my waist not down on my hips. I'm fat so it still digs in but better then across my hips. I also someimes untuck my shirt from he strap in the front so it can hang over the strap & tummy bulge.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 04:06 AM

I would go for a woven wrap. You can experiment with many different ways of wrapping it and adjust the fabric to suit your needs. It takes more of a learning curve than a SSC, but I love the versatility of a woven.
#6 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 01:31 PM

Ugggh, the back carry muffin top! It has inspired me to take up jogging.
I agree with other posters that a wrap would be great - even if not in tibetan carry, in other carries you can spread the material around in a more flattering way...but for me I have tried SO HARD to learn how to back-wrap my baby and I just can't get the hang of it. I really want to! I've watched all the videos, tried all the tricks, but all I succeed in doing is making my baby upset and/or dropping her on the bed that I'm using as a safety net.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#7 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 07:05 PM

Maybe I'm an odd one out, but I kind of like the 'slimming' effect of the nice wide belt on my SSC. Now, I have bluejean muffin top on a regular basis (thank you nursing for making me gain weight instead of lose it like a normal person) but the belt on my ssc sits pretty mych at my natural waist and fixes it... maybe it's because I wear it a little higher?

FWIW I use a nana's jet pack, and it's thoroughly muffin-less.

Mmm... muffins...
#8 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Ergo carries a waist strap extender too - just in case your strap is a little tight. I know you need to have it tight *enough*, but if it could stand loosening the waist extender might be the thing.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#9 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 PM

Funny I see this post!! I have been fussing about this all day today, trying to figure the best way to wear it. I have always wore it high with my ds but with my dd I have been trying it lower and looser, but it strains my back more and feels too floppy. Up high and tight and I hate how it digs in, does remind me to suck it in though, lol. I am always trying to figure the best clothes to wear with it, vainity, I know. At home, I don't care, but when we are out you know, I hate how a loose fitting shirt looks on me with it all bunched up and stuff. I really like the moby for the front because it does not bind. I have never tried it on back but I guess it would do that boob thing, lol.
#10 of 16 Old 03-19-2010, 11:09 PM

I know that Ergo back carry muffin top! I wear DD on my back in the Ergo when I work out and it is NOT PRETTY with tight workout pants.

For me, the most flattering (slimming, even!) way to wear DD on my back is in a woven wrap, in a double hammock carry. Here's a great video. You could also do a ruck tied tibetan or tied in front under the bust, but those aren't as comfortable for me.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#11 of 16 Old 03-20-2010, 10:29 AM

And I thought I was alone in the Ergo muffin top dilemma

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#12 of 16 Old 03-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Onbuhimo is my solution. I hope I spelled that right, I usually just call it my onbu. It doesn't have a waist strap so there is no muffinage. Where the bottom straps would be is rings. I bring the top straps down like a back pack would look, loop through the rings, cross above the boobs, pull through the 'back pack' straps and tie at my chest.. I have huge boobs and it works well. By far my fave carrier... I have an ergo and I am not in love with it, I think I am going to sell it.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#13 of 16 Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 PM

A pod would work with no muffin top and i never get them with my woven wraps either.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#14 of 16 Old 03-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I put my ergo strap around my waist not down on my hips. I'm fat so it still digs in but better then across my hips. I also someimes untuck my shirt from he strap in the front so it can hang over the strap & tummy bulge.
That's how I wore my Ergo too. I always untucked so the bulge wasn't quite so noticable.

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#15 of 16 Old 03-21-2010, 02:32 PM

I dislike the ergo back carry for this very reason.

Try a chunei. I love mine.

Or an onbu.

Love of our life, born September 2009
#16 of 16 Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM

I put the Ergo belt under my shirt, so the shirt poofs over it.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page